We cyclists are the luckiest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Did a chilly 29 miles today over to the Bowland forest and back and if I saw 30 cars I must have seen 50 or 60 cyclists, single and in pairs, out enjoying the empty roads. The silence of the countryside was fantastic, all I could hear was birdsong. Would that it was like this all the time.

Slick

Guru
Had a very similar experience yesterday, met loads of other cyclists, some looked quite new to it but every single one of them looked like they were enjoying themselves. There was a couple of occasions when we caught up with another couple on their bikes and it may have looked like a group but apart from that, it was all good. Downside was we couldn't stop for our usual picnic on these types of rides out but when we finally came out the lanes and did a bit on the road, the lack of traffic is just something to behold right now. Love it.

Gunk

Guru
Riding in rural France is like this all the time.

johnnyb47

Guru
Couldn't agree more. With the current lock down going on, cycling once a day has been a god send. Quiet roads and seeing plenty of other cyclists has really broke up the long boring days at home by myself.
The neighbours who often look at me as a bit of an eccentric for cycling the many miles, are crawling the walls will boredom being stuck indoors and refusing to exercise full stop.
I for sure feel luckier than most being a cyclist. It's kept me active, physically and mentally over the last few weeks 👍

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Riding in rural France is like this all the time. View attachment 514605
View attachment 514607

I REALLY love your photo of the cyclist staring up at the old Michelin sign. It tells a great little story and the posture is perfect. It could almost be a poster!

I hope you don't mind but I've saved it and cropped it to increase the impact. Here:

20200412_202748.jpg

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
It's the same in Birmingham and Solihull. One or two cars and dozens of bikes.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-1651#post-5950348

Kryton521

Über Member
Today, possibly fewer cars than other days of the "Bank Holiday" weekend but so many people out on bikes! Mind you, probably thought I was insane as I kept smiling and waving at them, [driving work van]. Maybe they weren't sure what I wanted or if I'd offer them sweets or to see my puppies?

Milzy

Guru
Couldn't agree more. With the current lock down going on, cycling once a day has been a god send. Quiet roads and seeing plenty of other cyclists has really broke up the long boring days at home by myself.
The neighbours who often look at me as a bit of an eccentric for cycling the many miles, are crawling the walls will boredom being stuck indoors and refusing to exercise full stop.
I for sure feel luckier than most being a cyclist. It's kept me active, physically and mentally over the last few weeks 👍
I can only echo this myself. So many people are complaining and showing how depressed they are on social media. I'm loving life. I started some DIY which has lead to other projects so the wife's happy. There's still plenty of time to go out cycling, I'm currently mixing up indoor and outdoor. Played some video conference quizzes with friends. Watched loads of films. With the Frozen mortgage I've paid off a loan. The village community spirit was always good but has excelled even further.
Don't get me wrong, I still want normality back asap but I'll be making the best out of a bad situation & cycling helps a lot.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's almost as if people have misread the Government's restriction of "allowed to take one form of exercise per day" as "must take one form of exercise per day". Perhaps with all the shops & busineses being shut and the unfortunate consequense of people being furloughed, families now have the time to go out together when otherwise they would have been working.

Milzy

Guru
It's almost as if people have misread the Government's restriction of "allowed to take one form of exercise per day" as "must take one form of exercise per day". Perhaps with all the shops & busineses being shut and the unfortunate consequense of people being furloughed, families now have the time to go out together when otherwise they would have been working.
It's how a utopia society should be almost, but it won't last forever. Back to normal soon.

Top Bottom