We didn't buy an Insight but we bought a Note instead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
The Berlingo etc seem a very popular choice for anyone wanting to cart bikes about.

As a Berlingo owner I find the fastest/easiest way to cart bikes around is with a tow bar mounted bike rack.

I've never understood why anyone would want to move bikes any other way.
It takes under 30 seconds to get out the rack of the boot, mount on the tow bar and then, 30 seconds per bike to fix to the rack.
As the bikes are only a foot off the ground it means no mucking around getting them to roof height (where the bikes are then exposed to to the elements).
It also means that the rack can be easily removed and stored in the shed or boot when not in use.
Also it means no messing around with removal of wheels etc to get them into the back, and you still an empty car to then fill with other kit & people.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Buy another TVR

LOl

crossfire

Have a look at a Toyolta Auris Hybrid, ours returns 60+ on a run and 45ish around town, all from 1800 engine and battery. It will take a bike in the back, with wife and me in front, my Carrera Crossfire fits in lying down with wheels fitted and front turned upright, no idea about a tandem, but probably possible minus wheels. Does wheelchair fold? if so I guess it would fit in - boot has a removable flat area that lies above spare area Warning spacesaver spare wheel is an extra!
Ours was bought new in 2013.
Best of luck with your buying - not something I enjoy

Brains

Legendary Member
Just to add another plus to the Berlingo

Not only can you get two bikes on the tow bar mount, you can also get a Mobility Scooter AND a Wheelchair in the boot, and still take 5 people, plus all their luggage for a weekend in the car!

I've done it, multiple times, as FIL is wheelchair bound.
Admittedly we only had room for 2 bikes on the car, but we have 2 more at the place we were going to, so bikes/mobility scooters for all 5 people

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Honda automatics do not have the reliability/durability reputation of their manual brethren.

If you must have an automatic hybrid, Prius might be a better long term option.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A few petrol autos (no apostrophe) on AutoTrader.

Not local enough though but thanks

Have a look at a Toyolta Auris Hybrid, ours returns 60+ on a run and 45ish around town, all from 1800 engine and battery. It will take a bike in the back, with wife and me in front, my Carrera Crossfire fits in lying down with wheels fitted and front turned upright, no idea about a tandem, but probably possible minus wheels. Does wheelchair fold? if so I guess it would fit in - boot has a removable flat area that lies above spare area Warning spacesaver spare wheel is an extra!
Ours was bought new in 2013.
Best of luck with your buying - not something I enjoy

We have an Auris petrol on the to look at list

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well just back from trying the Insight nice to drive but rather low to get in & out of and a rock hard perch of the rear middle seat where both no no's .

On way back popped into a local used car dealership to see what they had , they had a rocket ship dressed a Ford Kuga 2.5t with every electronic device you could imagine , very nice but way more complicated than i wanted

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I'd maybe look at a Honda Jazz petrol the bigger mk2 that started in 2009 or something, if it will fit everything in. Or a Nissan Note petrol, cheaper but I would imagine the Honda is a better car.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well true the Auris very nice apart from the CVT gear change .

Looked at a c3 thankfully boot way too small .

Current favourite is grandad special after a road test.

Note and jazz this afternoon

crossfire

Well true the Auris very nice apart from the CVT gear change .
yes well, our first one (08 1.6 Petrol) had the CVT box, ok as long as you didn`t rush it - lumpy changes, but the hybrid has a proper auto with nice smooth changes. They also inroduced an estate, but not much bigger. The only major fault I find with ours is NO TOWING, not allowed to fit a towbar, something about the battery, and with a 7 year warranty, and lifetime on the battery, not worth risking, so my trailer sits idling in the garage.

Top Bottom