We have 5 kittens

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like you got some good advice... eventually. :okay:

The RSPCA typically won't get involved unless there's publicity in it for them. They're about as useful as the proverbial teapot and a complete waste of time. We (Ely CP) usually end up having to clean up their messes in this neck of the woods.

Wholeheartedly agree. About as much use as a chocolate fireguard and only want 'easy' cases with 'good' publicity (for them). Speaking wrt horses and ponies in the NW of England, HAPPA are far, far more useful, sensible, helpful and practical.

Wholeheartedly agree. About as much use as a chocolate fireguard and only want 'easy' cases with 'good' publicity (for them). Speaking wrt horses and ponies in the NW of England, HAPPA are far, far more useful, sensible, helpful and practical.

It's not just me, then... Whew...

Generally, any mention of the RSPCA in our branch of CP is invariably accompanied by much swearing. Usually after late night phone calls from people that have been effectively told to go take a hike.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

All good on the kitten front, daughter put a glove on, moved the kittens & put them in a more open box, the sneezes started to ease by the end of the day & gone by the following day, all under the watchful eye of mum. It would appear the old foam cat bed must have been very dusty.

Next issue we have is mum has worms, we didn't have time to do anything before they were born, trying to look this up ont Net, we have 2 versions first says start at 3 weeks, then fortnightly, stop at 12 weeks, then quarterly, second says start at 2 weeks, then fortnightly until 16 weeks, then quarterly.

So what is correct & what is the best stuff, via a vet or over the counter

Glad the sneezies seems to have been an allergy issue. :okay: That's one headache less for sure.

What kind of worms? If tapeworms, then you'll have to flea her as well, as fleas are the intermediate host for tapeworm larvae.

I would suggest going onto vet-uk and getting some Panacur granules to put in her food as tablets might be problematic and from memory, wormer spot ons don't deal with tapeworm. You can buy Frontline spot-on over the counter to deal with the fleas.

I've never dealt with fleas / worms when it comes to very young kittens, so I'd seek the right advice there. But if the kittens get a bad infestation, they will become anaemic, as fleas and tiny kittens are not a good combination. Their little systems just can't take the blood loss. You may need to bathe them in a flea shampoo as they're too little for other kinds of treatment.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I've asked the daughter if she can describe the worms, she's on latrine duty :laugh: I only deal with the supply end :laugh:

But they are coming one, interesting colour as she is almost all black with just a couple of white patches.

IMG_20220815_073853_370.jpg

Edit:- White worms so sounds like tapeworms

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooooh, cutiepies! :wub:

Looks like three classic tabby & white and two black & white. They're still at the"blob" stage, but give it a week or two, and they'll turn into right little timewasters. :laugh:

If it's white wiggly things about the size of a grain of rice, then yeah, tapeworms.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

If it's white wiggly things about the size of a grain of rice, then yeah, tapeworms.

Yep some syringes of Panacur ordered, enough for the whole tribe until they are 12 weeks old

Yep some syringes of Panacur ordered, enough for the whole tribe until they are 12 weeks old

Fabulous :okay:

Don't forget some effective flea treatment as well, as fleas are the intermediate host for tapeworm. Basically, cats get tapeworm from ingesting infected fleas.

Good to see they're getting the Rolls Royce treatment - you and everyone else involved are absolute stars. :notworthy: So many people take the easy option... :sad:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Nurse @Reynard or is that Matron @Reynard Panacur has arrived, but it states on it to use on puppies & kittens under 6 month of age weighing greater that 1Kg, we have the following results

(M) Black & White Splodge 308g
(M) Mix 317g
(F) Girl Tabby 308g
(M) Boy Tabby 295g
(M) Black & White 298g

Can you suggest an alternative or is it a ring the vet & see what they say?

The latter, I reckon.

IIRC the dosage should be by body weight, so you might also want to check what the small print says.

Sounds like you've got five little chunky monkeys there. :okay:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Panacur liquid can be used to worm the kittens but doesn’t treat tapeworms. You can get a spot on from your vets called Profender for the mother which does treat tapeworms and is safe to use on nursing cats. ( I’m a vet nurse and we get asked this a lot😊)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Panacur liquid can be used to worm the kittens but doesn’t treat tapeworms. You can get a spot on from your vets called Profender for the mother which does treat tapeworms and is safe to use on nursing cats. ( I’m a vet nurse and we get asked this a lot😊)

The Panacur we have is paste is that the same?

AndreaJ

Veteran
They have different concentrations of Panacur, the paste is better for older kittens and the liquid for younger ones. You can keep the paste and use that when they are older but you would need the liquid for them now. Your vet might dispense enough to treat them now rather than have to buy a bottle.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

They have different concentrations of Panacur, the paste is better for older kittens and the liquid for younger ones. You can keep the paste and use that when they are older but you would need the liquid for them now. Your vet might dispense enough to treat them now rather than have to buy a bottle.

Sorry badly worded, I was thinking for the paste for the mum, I knew what I meant but that's not what I typed.

Top Bottom