We need the CC opinion on Classic British Cuisine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's a pretty damming condemnation of the great British diet. Hardly any veggies at all and only three with fish. Too much meat and processed meat. No wonder there are so many health problems connected to diet.
There is spotted dick in the sweet section if you read the link @Spinney . A fave from school days but I wouldn't think many under thirties would even have tried it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How depressing, no fresh vegetables mentioned at all.

Fanny Craddock has an awful lot to answer for in establishing what passes for a "national cuisine" in sixties Britain when food manufacture was beginning to industrialise.

Levo-Lon

Guru
We have a fat population but mucky Ds aren't listed?

I like just about everything on that list but hardly ever eat any of them more than once a month.

Pub food seems to be loaded to hell with crap, but some poncy chef will be applauded..
Do you ever watch the tv shows, my god how much salt?? Ffs your food needs that to give it flavour..

I gave up salt yrs ago but the trend these days is cover in salt.. Does annoy me when in a food place

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
To be fair, everything should come out higher than andouillettes, in any survey.
Placeholder for amusing gif indicating that heretics should be burned, together with brief sentence explaining the gif to placate pedantic moderators.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Placeholder for amusing gif indicating that heretics should be burned, together with brief sentence explaining the gif to placate pedantic moderators.
Don't know about heretics, but I was tempted to post that the French would probably put anything on the OP list above andouillettes, which IMHO barely qualify as food.

Faggots and black pudding are lush :hungry:

The British diet has always been pretty meat heavy (for those who could afford it) if mine and my mum's antique and vintage cookbooks are anything to go by. And plenty of cakes too.

A lot of the stuff on the sweet list I find much *too* sweet, although I'm rather partial to a generous helping of xmas pud.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's utterly incomprehensible that steak and kidney pudding (which is ace) is on the same tier as jellied eels. Having tried the eels once they barely qualify as "food"

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's utterly incomprehensible that steak and kidney pudding (which is ace) is on the same tier as jellied eels. Having tried the eels once they barely qualify as "food"
It does make you wonder where they took the survey and the numbers interviewed. I shouldn't think anybody out side of London has ever heard of them let alone even tried them but if you go to east London and Essex it's a very different story. Tastes are changing and the famous Tubby Isaacs stall closed in 2013 after nearly a hundred years.
tubby-isaacs-jellied-eels-seafood-stall-whitechapel-london-CFDBN9.jpg
I remember many a happy time spent there but not to eat jellies eels.

Hardly represents some of the great food available does it. Was the poll done in 1974?

It's supposed to be tradit British food, not an opportunity for folk to show off their gastronomic sophistication.
Suggest you read the title
Stuff folk like.
Nowt wrong with that.
I don't think anyone is thinking of eating it every day.
Lots of my favourites in there.

Top Bottom