websites are so rubbish these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Not talking about cyclechat, just other stuff. If I inadvertenly click in the wrong place, an advert pops up. When I scroll down, an advert pops up. Something flashes on the screen SUBSCRIBE FOR A **FREE** NEWS LETTER (like I'm gonna subscribe by paying for an email - idiots). Then, some sound comes up. Oh, I need a pop-up blocker, a sound blocker, a dont-play-the-advert blocker, and various other blockers.

Then I goto some other webiste and it tells me I need to enable popups, or my security settings are wrong. Or whatever. And then I go to a specific page for some specific info and it starts flashing up with "and you might find this useful" or "how about this?" - it's just all crap.

I thought things were getting beter a few years ago when ruby on rails sites started getting more popular. They were clear and concise. Idk if that was due to ROR or just some new design philosphy. But now it's gone back to garbage again. It seems to take ages to find anything. I can just hear the management of various websites saying "we need to give the customer more stuff". WTH. They need to give us LESS stuff.

/rant

No, wait. Then the government came up with their stupid idea: "this website uses cookies, give us your consent to contiue" WTF. Everyone knows about cookies now (dont they?). Its just a continuous barrage of 5hit before you get to the content you actually need.

And then, there is content the website guys dont want you to see, then you have to really really dig around trying to find it. Complete madness. Crazy.

/rant finally over but unfortunately bad design still exists and i hate it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How much are you prepared to pay to access the content on the sites?

If, as is almost certainly the case, it's £0 then you can hardly complain at the way the content is presented.

AndyRM

XOXO
Web design isn't "all crap". It's a relatively new thing which is constantly evolving and often misunderstood or implemented poorly. It doesn't help that browsers render everything differently.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
As a professional support person's hat on, I am astounded by the fact that so many incompetent web designers out there are utterly incapable of building web sites fit for purpose for endusers.
Stop using outdated and soon not to be supported Flash and Silverlight, ffs, would be a good start.
Build a website that actually works without a hitch on at least IE or if you must, Chrome.
We offset a lot of support costs by offloading our customer base onto web portal stuff, but they do log it with us when things don't work.
Sadly, the stock answer is, call their support team - we deliver a corporate system that has secure and fully uptodate IE and Chrome settings.
Maybe if these so called professional web designers knew how to test properly .. but this would probably make them spill their skinny lattes.

AndyRM

XOXO
As a professional support person's hat on, I am astounded by the fact that so many incompetent web designers out there are utterly incapable of building web sites fit for purpose for endusers.
Stop using outdated and soon not to be supported Flash and Silverlight, ffs, would be a good start.
Build a website that actually works without a hitch on at least IE or if you must, Chrome.
We offset a lot of support costs by offloading our customer base onto web portal stuff, but they do log it with us when things don't work.
Sadly, the stock answer is, call their support team - we deliver a corporate system that has secure and fully uptodate IE and Chrome settings.
Maybe if these so called professional web designers knew how to test properly .. but this would probably make them spill their skinny lattes.

Web designers aren't testers bro. But cool story nonetheless.

AndyRM

XOXO
Anybody remember Gabocorp ? :smile:

Yup. Stuff of legend.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I couldn't use the internet without ad-blocker, or my laptop would be getting flung out the window.
AOL; I love the way you try to appeal to my conscience. Stop bombarding me with utter crap and I might consider your request. Meantime, guess which box I will be clicking on.....

Screenshot (18).png

jongooligan

Legendary Member
I work with web designers, front end developers and back end developers. Some are in-house and some are outside contractors. Some are good, some bad and some very bad but the biggest constraint they have is management making decisions based on what they think is right rather than what the evidence from customers tells us.

There's also the 'we've known about this for months but we've just decided to tell you about it and we want it ready for next Tuesday' effect.

We could build excellent websites but we don't. And btw, don't even think about turning off javascript.

Reactions: C R

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Ad blocker works for me although there is the occasional one that gets through. Not enough to bother me yet but I expect it's a bit of an arms race.........

As already said above - interwebbynet would be unusable without ad blocking in this house.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 5186088, member: 259"]But good web designers create sites based on use cases and user testing, before they decide on the architecture, so kludgy navigation gets picked up even before testing starts.. It's really basic, but you can tell that it's not exactly popular.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and I'd love that to be true.

Top Bottom