websites are so rubbish these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
How much are you prepared to pay to access the content on the sites?

If, as is almost certainly the case, it's £0 then you can hardly complain at the way the content is presented.

But I'm not complaining about all websites. Cycle chat for example is great. Put it another way: I don't want to pay to access the sites, but Ineither will I visit the sites that I find annoying.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Web design isn't "all crap". It's a relatively new thing which is constantly evolving and often misunderstood or implemented poorly. It doesn't help that browsers render everything differently.

But websites have been around for 20 years and been in the mainstream for at least ten.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
As a professional support person's hat on, I am astounded by the fact that so many incompetent web designers out there are utterly incapable of building web sites fit for purpose for endusers.
Stop using outdated and soon not to be supported Flash and Silverlight, ffs, would be a good start.
Build a website that actually works without a hitch on at least IE or if you must, Chrome.
We offset a lot of support costs by offloading our customer base onto web portal stuff, but they do log it with us when things don't work.
Sadly, the stock answer is, call their support team - we deliver a corporate system that has secure and fully uptodate IE and Chrome settings.
Maybe if these so called professional web designers knew how to test properly .. but this would probably make them spill their skinny lattes.

Do you not like chrome? There's something about it that I find odd but I can't place my finger on it. I use it happily enough, but there is something about it.

I don't entirely blame the silverlightdesigners. They put their faith in Microsoft and then we're told it's a no-go.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My son is a back end developer - he explained it to me that he does the stuff I don’t which makes what I do see work. It made much more sense when he put it like that.

Obviously there’s an element of “it’s someone else’s fault” but he tells me the front end designers have little understanding of how their work impacts the back end stuff. Customers apparently are also a problem because they frequently want tweaks which should have been in the original specification.

I know he takes great pride in producing a functional, working site.

Good web design and an up to date site for me is essential. If the site is rubbish I usually buy elsewhere.

irw

Quadricyclist
Do you not like chrome? There's something about it that I find odd but I can't place my finger on it. I use it happily enough, but there is something about it.

Err, hello?! It's developed by google...you know when you have that funny feeling you're being watched, or there's someone looking over your shoulder?...similar feeling perchance?!

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Err, hello?! It's developed by google...you know when you have that funny feeling you're being watched, or there's someone looking over your shoulder?...similar feeling perchance?!
Another thing I dislike is when I've already bought a particular product, say a wallet for example, then I'll keep getting adverts about wallets.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Web design isn't "all crap". It's a relatively new thing which is constantly evolving and often misunderstood or implemented poorly. It doesn't help that browsers render everything differently.
I don't work in that area but I was under the impression that shouldn't be a huge problem anymore. All the browsers support standards like html5 which should render the same.

AndyRM

XOXO
I don't work in that area but I was under the impression that shouldn't be a huge problem anymore. All the browsers support standards like html5 which should render the same.

Yeah, you'd think that... Sadly the reality is quite different.

irw

Quadricyclist
Another thing I dislike is when I've already bought a particular product, say a wallet for example, then I'll keep getting adverts about wallets.
That's exactly because 'they' are keeping tabs on you in one way or another ;) Cookies, IP addresses, etc etc

*Dons tin hat and heads to the bunker*

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's exactly because 'they' are keeping tabs on you in one way or another ;) Cookies, IP addresses, etc etc

*Dons tin hat and heads to the bunker*
I thought they would have figured out that I've already bought the product that they are still showing me adverts for.

Top Bottom