Webuyanycar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed. Almost everyone is optimistic when describing their car for sale. Perhaps 1 in 20 private used car ads is 100% totally, scrupulously honest in detail.

Mint usually means anything but. Low mileage for year means high mileage. Easy restoration means it needs major welding and a full respray,

We described Mrs D's car down to minute, honest detail, and got to the penny what we were quoted. It ain't difficult, but people are full of sheet.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
No more concerned about WBAC as my stepdaugher offered to buy my car around Christmas time as hers is 10 years old and will need money spending on it soon. She knows I look after my things and I am pleased my car will stay in the family , although down in Devon.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They offered £1,000 for an old Octavia we had. Sold it privately the next week for £2,500. Only use them if you want to get absolutely reamed. Phillip Schofield's time may cost too much for him to seek a better deal, but mine doesn't!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
These days, I expect you’ll get more for a petrol car (aka less for diesel) so if you can persuade your wife, it might be worth getting both valued!
True story: I worked with a guy from Zimbabwe but who had half- Asian ancestry and could easily have passed for Middle Eastern. His wife was, apparently, smoking hot.

Anyway, they were on holiday in Cairo and, thinking he was another of the locals, a random Egyptian offered him six camels for his wife. He said getting them back to Northamptonshire could have been expensive.

screenman

Legendary Member
No the paint is not damaged and you can barely see the dent, this is how this was described to me today by a private cudtomer
IMG_20201027_084408.jpg
IMG_20201027_084401.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was brought up in the 'buyer beware' ethos of the motor trade.

My main tutor was a Jewish bloke called Harry Gordon, known as 'the Weasel' because he was short of stature.

He was once offered a VW Beetle with several dents on the roof.

A young Harry was too short to see the dents, so paid a price based on the roof being as it should.

The trader, just about correctly in trade etiquette terms, didn't describe the car in any detail, just simply invited Harry to inspect it, so there was no comeback.

Of course, Harry was offered the car in the first place because the trader thought it likely he wouldn't see the dents.

Another thing I was told to always check was reverse gear, just to make sure the car had one.

icowden

Veteran
No the paint is not damaged and you can barely see the dent, this is how this was described to me today by a private cudtomer

But had you offered the customer an over the odds pristine condition price to get him to bring the car to you in the first place?

Top Bottom