Webuyanycar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
They may offer a service, but they rely on making offers online that they never intend to honour. They just want to get you where they can convince you to take a lower offer.

I personally know of a few guys who got the original offer as they described the car correctly, the public seldom do that.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
WBAC are incredibly, stupidly fussy
they rely on making offers online that they never intend to honour
Not my experience in Croydon, nor that of my daughter in Stoke, so it clearly varies. Are they franchises? In both cases we got what we expected with minimal, cursory inspection, to the point that we felt we had wasted our time washing and vacuuming the cars. Neither car was particularly valuable - a W plate Discovery and 06 Mini convertible. Maybe it’s a different experience as the price increases.

icowden

Veteran
I personally know of a few guys who got the original offer as they described the car correctly, the public seldom do that.

And yet they are a company marketed at the Public using a "trustworthy" face. So why not make the evaluations closer to what the customer might expect? Surely it makes better marketing if people are going around saying, "well despite what it said online they actually offered me *more* money for my car!", than "these people are rip off merchants - it said £3000 online - they offered £1750".

screenman

Legendary Member
And yet they are a company marketed at the Public using a "trustworthy" face. So why not make the evaluations closer to what the customer might expect? Surely it makes better marketing if people are going around saying, "well despite what it said online they actually offered me *more* money for my car!", than "these people are rip off merchants - it said £3000 online - they offered £1750".

I am speaking from many years of motor trade experience dealing with the general public, I have done as does a lot of the motor trade used WBAC for valuations, your experience comes from? If somebody offers you a car describing it as nice condition and you get there and see it is not do you hand over all your money. I showed you yesterday a picture of what somebody called a small dent, if I bothered with the camera more often I could show you hundreds like that. WBAC run a business, employ people and hopefully make enough profit to be able to do the same again next year and so on, describe your car properly and they will give you the price offered, tell me what is the average prep cost for a 3 year old car being sold through a main agent?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
We got the oroginal offer. They tried damn hard to find a fault and failed, and grudgingly produced the folding they had quoted.

Look at the used car ads on ebay to see the drivel some sellers come out with, then ask yourself why WBAV don't pay half these jokers the original quote. Due dilligence works both ways.

Cavalol

Guru
I am speaking from many years of motor trade experience dealing with the general public, I have ddone as does a lot of the motor trade use WBAC for valuations, your experience comes from? If somebody offers you a car describing it as nice condition and you get there and see it is not do you hand over all your money. I showed you yesterday a picture of what somebody called a small dent, if I bothered with the camera more often I could show you hundreds like that. WBAC run a business, employ people and hopefully make enough profit to be able to do the same again next year and so on, describe your car properly and they will give you the price offered, tell me what is the average prep cost for a 3 year old car being sold through a main agent?

I get that, I really do, and dread to even begin to think what a modern showroom costs to run for a week, let alone build. But WBAC aren't dealers, they're middlemen and I would be willing to bet the majority of the cars they buy are more than 3 years old and there are no prep costs. Staffing, building hire, transport yes, but no expensive showrooms and no come backs when they've been through the block.

Not at all averse to them making money, it'd be a pretty cr*p business that didn't make as much as possible, but they are exceptionally picky in my experience.

Brads

They offered me what the said on the website. I decided to trade in at a garage anyway.
I know a few that have used them and to be very honest I would take slightly less for a car than subject myself to Gumtree twats.

Never ever again will I sell a car on gumtree. Life is too short.

screenman

Legendary Member
I get that, I really do, and dread to even begin to think what a modern showroom costs to run for a week, let alone build. But WBAC aren't dealers, they're middlemen and I would be willing to bet the majority of the cars they buy are more than 3 years old and there are no prep costs. Staffing, building hire, transport yes, but no expensive showrooms and no come backs when they've been through the block.

Not at all averse to them making money, it'd be a pretty cr*p business that didn't make as much as possible, but they are exceptionally picky in my experience.

They are not rip off merchants though as you have a choice, two misdescribed cars turned up here today, would have been wasting my time if I had gone out to them, can people not tell the difference between a 1inch crack and a 9 inch one. The other assured it was a small dent with no paint damage, it had a deep down to the metal scratch in the bottom of the dent 9 inches long, time wasting liars both of them.

screenman

Legendary Member
They offered me what the said on the website. I decided to trade in at a garage anyway.
I know a few that have used them and to be very honest I would take slightly less for a car than subject myself to Gumtree twats.

Never ever again will I sell a car on gumtree. Life is too short.

Just sold one on FB market place, it takes patience and a deep sense of humour.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not my experience in Croydon, nor that of my daughter in Stoke, so it clearly varies. Are they franchises? In both cases we got what we expected with minimal, cursory inspection, to the point that we felt we had wasted our time washing and vacuuming the cars. Neither car was particularly valuable - a W plate Discovery and 06 Mini convertible. Maybe it’s a different experience as the price increases.

I think you are a person with real experience, many do not have that.

screenman

Legendary Member

Do you not consider what the dealer will pay for them at the block is reflected in the resin costs, I know it did when I was buying and selling 500+ units a year. They are not exceptionally picky, just that some people do no describe their car correctly or have no idea of what condition it should be in to get the most from it price wise.

I've yet to meet anyone I know who once they went to sell the car they got what they tell you.
I tried it and they go over the car in micro detail and knock off anything they find. All pretty meaningless rubbish they knock about 2 grand off mine. All they found was fine scratcher on the paintwork which can and now have been polished out. When you question it they do the old I will phone my supervisor and start to knock off some of the faults. Then you say still not enough and back on the phone they go and it's just go's round and round until I said no and went home. Basically it was like having the double glazing man round. They also use new revised value is only for today line too. I also found they don't leave you alone and ring and text you for days after.
Everyone I know has had the same carry on.
Hi, you do now, admittedly after a shoot load of haggling. Used them twice once on a reasonable 4 year old roomster and got 500 more than px with dealer, without any haggling and once on a snotter c1 that had loads of dents and scratches, they did try to knock it back but had included most on report so...

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I worked for a few years at a Renault dealer.

There's no doubt some members of the public are shysters.

We had incidents such as a car being presented for valuation with four good tyres, but come hand over time, it had four bald ones.

One customer slapped two or three thousand miles on his low mileage trade in within about three weeks.

We had to chip him, but he expected us to stick by the original valuation, or more likely hoped we wouldn't notice.

The motoring public like the bodywork of a car to be immaculate, but they don't understand the high cost of fixing even minor dents.

I reckon it's partly because when a motorist is involved in a bodywork job it is usually paid for by insurance, so the costs don't register.

Top Bottom