Webuyanycar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Has any one ever used them?
In her wisdom, Mrs G suggested that we don't really need two cars anymore as it is very likely that I will not be returning to doing Supply in school and take full retirement.
My car just sits on the drive now as we tend to use my wife's most of the time, besides, she refuses to drive mine anyway. So, we are paying two insurances and maintaining two cars. Mine is also due for a new cambelt and water pump next April which cost £650.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Captur as it is very reliable, comfortable and economical on fuel, being diesel. Mrs G's car is petrol so less economical ( Nissan Juke ) but a good car and only 6 months younger than mine. Both cars were born in 2015.
So, to get back to my title, has anyone used Webuyanycar.com and what are your views on them?
The book price on my car is between £6000 and £7000.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I don't know about WeBuyAnyCar but there is a garage near me called We Sell Any Car. Obviously something has got lost in translation :smile:

tom73

Guru
I've yet to meet anyone I know who once they went to sell the car they got what they tell you.
I tried it and they go over the car in micro detail and knock off anything they find. All pretty meaningless rubbish they knock about 2 grand off mine. All they found was fine scratcher on the paintwork which can and now have been polished out. When you question it they do the old I will phone my supervisor and start to knock off some of the faults. Then you say still not enough and back on the phone they go and it's just go's round and round until I said no and went home. Basically it was like having the double glazing man round. They also use new revised value is only for today line too. I also found they don't leave you alone and ring and text you for days after.
Everyone I know has had the same carry on.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Use them if you're lazy and don't mind loosing a bunch of cash or spend a few quid getting it detailed and market it on Gumtree etc and get a decent price. I imagine the market is depressed at the moment.

Drago

Legendary Member
Years ago Mrs D bought a new Peugeot 2008, one of the very first. It had caught her eye and she liked it, but after a few months she didn't gel with it and decided to get shot.

Neither of us really fancied selling it privately and all the time wasting calls, tyre kickers, stupid offers etc, so she took it back to the dealer and asked what they would give her

The dealer offered well under book value (a friend of ours is a sales chap at a Renfault dealer and he'd checked the book price for us) while lying and claiming to be what the book said. Webuyany car offered 800 more, a straightforward internet quote without seeing the car, which susprised us both. They went over it microscopically when we took it in to do the deed, doubtless looking for the slightest blemish to justify chiselling a few quid off, but they found none (it was less than 6 months old and was as new in appearance) and honoured the quote.

So in our limited experience they were ok, better than what was on offer from the traditional motor trade. Could have earned more privately, but at that moment in time it was a ballache we didn't need.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Not used it. Although they say they buy any car, they def won't offer you what you think its worth after all they have to make a profit as well. However if you want to get rid of it quickly and efficiently with no fuss no muss, I daresay it's a decent enough way to get rid of it. And you don't have to do any work either.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've had a couple of quotes from them over the years, @tom73 is right that you'll never hear the last of it, they'll be emailing you a year later asking if you still have that car and still want shot of it.
Last time I got a quote from them, my book price was 2k, and despite my car being very low mileage (60k on a 9 year old car) I was offered less than 1k by WBAC, and that was without them seeing it. I'm sure they'd have looked to knock off more once they'd gone over it with their famous fine toothed comb. I got about 40% more than their offer by trading it in against my new car.

So Schofield. Indeed, he's a bit of a coot too!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
No personal experience but tbh from their presentation and reputation they seem like a bunch of opportunistic and exploititive shysters who feed off those who don't know any better or have more money than sense...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Providing you don't check up what your car could be worth then it's a quick and painless way of selling a car, but then I've never managed to sell a car privately for what 'the book' says it's worth... you could spend weeks trying and end up with the same money.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
They don't buy any car, my daughter tried them for her old car a few years ago, got the online quote but when she went they "found" faults and knocked the price down to they point where they said it wasn't worth them buying it.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I've used them for a quote, which was fairly reasonable and was well above what a dealer was offering for me as a trade-in. I would have gone and seen them, but the base was 50+ miles away, my wife was ill and didn't fancy doing the second car role, and the distance meant that they would have had me over a barrel. I was prepared to have them knock the offer down and would have stood firm, but when you are an hour's drive from home there would have been a big incentive to take a hit of a few hundred quid to have it all done. I took the dealer's trade-in price in the end, potentially lost a bit but totally hassle-free. If dealing with car salesmen can ever be hassle-free.

I know people who have used them and been quite happy. Yes, you get a low quote, but the car is gone, no ad charges, no timewasters, no comeback along the lines of "I've had it for a week, the gearbox has gone, and I want a refund". That happens too. I'd give WBAC a try every time I want to sell a car, but I would be firm and prepared to walk away if they mess me about.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If your time is worth more to you than £1000 then by all means use them, but you will not get a good deal. They are in the business of buying for under book value and selling for a large profit. I was offered £60 for my old Nissan, which I declined and promtly sold it on Gumtree for £450. But I understand the market for hassle-free sales at a cost so have a figure in your mind and stick to it, if they pat you then all's well, if they start shaving hundrfeds off becasue there's a cobweb on the wing mirror then you can decise from there

vickster

Legendary Member
These days, I expect you’ll get more for a petrol car (aka less for diesel) so if you can persuade your wife, it might be worth getting both valued!

newts

Veteran
In my experience they offered less (£2,800) than the main dealer (£3,500), a it of haggling got them up to 3k. This prompted me to put it on auto trader, sold really quick for £5,500. They did bombard me with emails for long while after.

Top Bottom