Webuyanycar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Have used them once. Not unhappy, it was a no hassle transaction, got more than the trade-on offer.I accept, I could probably have got more, by selling privately, but, I would also (potentially) have had a lot more hassle.

Similarly, when buying current house (a new build) took a trade-in deal with builder, totally hassle free, but, again, I accept, I could have got more by selling. But, all that showing around, haggling, concern about them backing out, gazumping etc ...... no thank you.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Pre-Covid, Evans Halshaw were offering to beat any WBAC quote, so they might be worth a look?

Dave7

Legendary Member
My BiL has used them twice and reckons he got a good price both times.
I tried them once but didn't like their methods so went private.
Live @gavroche we have 2 cars but only need one so mulling over what to do.
Anyone want a 13 plate Corsa? One owner. 13k on the clock.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
A car like that would be best sold privately. Where the one careful owner and very low mileage will add value.
WBAC Will give you book value at best.

byegad

Legendary Member
They use the same tactics as car leasing firms do.
My neighbour had a leased Nissan Joke. At two yrs old it was due to go back to the company.
The inspector made an appointment, spent well over 2 hrs inspecting it even having it turned around so he 'could get the sun on the other side'. He wanted nearly £6000 for damage that would 'have to be put right'.
My neighbour showed me the 'report'. Each tiny stone chip on the front was itemised and priced. some finger nail marks around the driver's door were itemised and priced. He measured the depth of paint all over the car and claimed the rear right panel had been repainted (It hadn't, it was always on his drive, so unless he'd had a bump, and got it repaired and repainted the same day!....) and would have to be 'done properly'. It went on and on. The cost for touching up just the odd stone chip was more than the quote my neighbour got from a paint shop for a full respray!
So he took it to a repair centre, got it inspected and was given a quote for putting all the minor marks bang to right, it came to under £200. Armed with this he handed the car back and told them he'd see them in court, and warned that he'd recorded the mileage at inspection, repair quotation and at hand back. After a couple of solicitor's letter demanding the £6k, which he refuted, repeating 'see you in court'. It was dropped.
He bought his next car.
I've heard a similar story from my son who toyed with selling to WBAC. He traded it in in the end.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Having recently packed in a job that was horrible, but included a company car, I would recommend selling your car privately. I was looking for a fairly cheap small car and it was a complete pain. Around here anyway, hardly anybody is selling cars privately in this current climate. Older cars are expensive with traders. I spoke to several of them and they stated that they just couldn't get hold of cars in the current climate.

I looked at lots of overpriced sh1te, but luckily found a clean low mileage Mazda 2 for a decent price, I was just fortunate, it was like a needle in a haystack and was a reasonable price, considering it was from a trader. Took about an hour to get used to having to actually do things manually for a change, you know switch the wipers on, the lights, use a handbrake and all the other meaningless nonesense I'd got used to, which are just pointless (just in my very humble opinion) and something to go wrong when these cars equiped with all this get older.

I'd try to sell it privately, you might be surprised. WBAC will give you a poor price for it. I think there's a market for older less complicated cars. It's what I wanted. Put it on Ebay classifieds or Autotrader. Spend a day cleaning it inside and out and wax it. You will probably make yourself a decent bit of money if it is not a sh1tter..

SGG on a bike

Having just sold a "spare" car privately on eBay, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it and with hindsight, may have been better off just using auto trader. To be fair, it was a banger with a short mot, but the number of idiots I had to tolerate was unreal. That said, thankfully, it sold within several hours for close on the full asking price (it was on a buy it now or best offer). I wouldn't be in a rush to repeat the process.

I reckon your best bet will be study the prices for similar advertised in your area and go in at a price that makes it sound like a real bargain. Take plenty of good quality photos and take the time to compose a decent, honest description.

Avoid WBAC like the plague. Purely for comedic reasons, I've had a few quotes from them in the past, some of which wouldn't even cover the cost of a decent set of tyres for the car which had a full service history and a decent set four brand new tyres! I'm pretty sure also that a number of traders used them. We were buying a new car about 8 months ago and one dealer (who wouldn't budge on the trade on price) would only offer us the WBAC price that they had given us, although he didn't know that. he lost the sale. We ended up at the local VW dealer, who treated us like royalty, put a cracking deal together and got the £25k sale. The px valuation was substantially more.

screenman

Legendary Member
When you use WBAC you are in a way paying them to do a job you do not want to do yourself, they are a business with big overheads and plenty of staff, this does not come free. Sell private, but be prepared for a bit of frustration in many cases.

SGG on a bike

Indeed, it was a car. The Suzuki was a little less than that, but the sales guy was a complete arse (we got up and walked out when he started raisiing his voice to us, then rang to apologise the following morning, followed by a call from his sales manager. Not an experience we're likely to repeat. Total contrast to the VW dealership, who've been great to deal with every time we've been in for servicing etc too.

Cavalol

Guru

How much do you want for the Corsa, Dave?

Top Bottom