Wedding rings....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
wafflycat said:
Marriage is not inherently a religious thing. You can get married without the full religious trappings - a civil ceremony.

You miss the point, my wife's religious and wanted, had dreamed of a church wedding all her life.

Marriage is flippin hard work, and you don't give up on it at the first crisis/disaster, no matter how tempting that might be. When you get married you need to know that you want to be in it for the long haul with your partner, through thick and thin.

Of all the 7 or so couples that we know who have got married in the last 2 years, 3 of them have split up within the first two years!

Anyway, I wear a wedding ring and my engagement ring. They kind of lock together, which means the wedding ring is a funny jagged shape, and the finish is all 'hammered' looking. Its the most realistic wedding ring I've ever seen...

My other half wears his ring all the time, but being a true cyclist insisted on it being titanium...

walker

domtyler said:
You miss the point, my wife's religious and wanted, had dreamed of a church wedding all her life.

Me and my wife to be are not having a church wedding as Neither of us beleive in a god, But my family are religious, and are quite disapointed in us not getting a church wedding, But because I love my GF I am not going to fulfill my families want's and needs becuase of them. Unless they stump up all the money of course:biggrin:

I wore one.
Until.
Gout struck me in the finger joint immediately above it. The doc said I should get it cut off but I didn't want that to happen so endured a couple of days of incredible pain as the finger kept on inflating etc...:biggrin:
Eventually, one of the dentists here drilled it off - too painful. It was repaired and given back to me the Christmas before last - you guessed it - still too small for an enlarged joint!
Wear it through my nose now...easier to be led astray :evil:... ouch::biggrin::evil:
SWOMBO, on the other hand (and the other hand/ wrist etc) jangles like Bo.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We couldn't find a ring that was plain and discrete enough for my wife so we got one made in gold and platinum by a student at the local college jewellery night class. It turned out cheap and exactly what she wanted and did the student some good too. My wife told me not to bother with a ring because it would get wecked and judging from the state of my watch it would have been almost destroyed by now.

Pete

I deplore the idea that people feel the need to suddenly declare their religion (or wear it on their sleeve?) on the occasion of getting married, and can't see the point in it. Especially if the partners are of different religions - and I have been to plenty of examples of those - in particular Judaeo-Christian pairings. Indeed my own wedding was one such. To have to resolve the matter, of 'which religious edifice to march down the aisle of', seems to me banal. At least we went, by mutual preference and also the preference of both families, for a low-key Registry Office event, with reception back at my in-laws' house. I would prefer to see that the norm, despite people's aspirations. But of course, some guests in some social circles see it different - to them the couple aren't 'properly married'...

Chris James

Über Member
User482 said:
On a brighter note, I'm getting married in August (for all the right reasons I hope) and will be wearing an inherited ring with great pride. Didn't half feel weird when I tried it on though!

My wedding ring was my grandma's wedding ring. I am very pleased to wear mine too, even though it is the only peiece of jewellery, other than watches, that I have ever worn.

My wedding day was probably the best day of my life and I am definitely of the school of thought that it is a major committment that should be enthusiastically undertaken by both parties.

By the way User482, hope the preparations are going well and all the best for the big day. August might sound a long way off but it'll creep up on you quickly enough!

U

User482

Chris James said:
My wedding ring was my grandma's wedding ring. I am very pleased to wear mine too, even though it is the only peiece of jewellery, other than watches, that I have ever worn.

My wedding day was probably the best day of my life and I am definitely of the school of thought that it is a major committment that should be enthusiastically undertaken by both parties.

By the way User482, hope the preparations are going well and all the best for the big day. August might sound a long way off but it'll creep up on you quickly enough!

Thanks! The ring belonged to Mrs User482' (to be) late grandmother, but we found that it fitted me better.

I had to concede defeat on the church thing (I'm an atheist but she isn't) but I managed to persuade her of the benefits of having the reception on a farm, so there'll be a barn dance, & farmyard animals mixing with the guests! One thing we won't be having is a wedding list - we already live together so what's the point? If anyone wants to buy us a gift, we're pointing them in the direction of our local wine merchant.

wafflycat

User482 said:
Thanks! The ring belonged to Mrs User482' (to be) late grandmother, but we found that it fitted me better.

I had to concede defeat on the church thing (I'm an atheist but she isn't) but I managed to persuade her of the benefits of having the reception on a farm, so there'll be a barn dance, & farmyard animals mixing with the guests! One thing we won't be having is a wedding list - we already live together so what's the point? If anyone wants to buy us a gift, we're pointing them in the direction of our local wine merchant.

Now that sounds like fun!

U

User482

Patrick Stevens said:
Will there be sheep?

Don't recall seeing any sheep there, but there must have been some - why do you ask?

I did see hens, turkeys, geese, pheasants, pigs, donkeys & cattle though. The more troublesome animals will be behind fences! In any case we'll need to keep the pigs a safe distance away, in case they don't take kindly to seeing one of their brethren on the spit roast...

Top Bottom