Wedding rings....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
User482 said:
Thanks! The ring belonged to Mrs User482' (to be) late grandmother, but we found that it fitted me better.

I had to concede defeat on the church thing (I'm an atheist but she isn't) but I managed to persuade her of the benefits of having the reception on a farm, so there'll be a barn dance, & farmyard animals mixing with the guests! One thing we won't be having is a wedding list - we already live together so what's the point? If anyone wants to buy us a gift, we're pointing them in the direction of our local wine merchant.

you could get an owl to fly down the aisle and deliver the ring... seriously. maybe a barn (dance) owl.

U

User482

laurence said:
you could get an owl to fly down the aisle and deliver the ring... seriously. maybe a barn (dance) owl.

imgres

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
Don't recall seeing any sheep there, but there must have been some - why do you ask?

I did see hens, turkeys, geese, pheasants, pigs, donkeys & cattle though. The more troublesome animals will be behind fences! In any case we'll need to keep the pigs a safe distance away, in case they don't take kindly to seeing one of their brethren on the spit roast...

Surely the chickens will be locked up in their shed in the warm? :rolleyes:

Congratulations by the way! :biggrin:

My mum gave me my grandmothers (deceased) engagement ring to give to my wife when we got engaged, she has now lost it! :rolleyes:

U

User482

domtyler said:
Surely the chickens will be locked up in their shed in the warm? :rolleyes:

Congratulations by the way! :biggrin:

My mum gave me my grandmothers (deceased) engagement ring to give to my wife when we got engaged, she has now lost it! :rolleyes:

Oh no, they're invited to the reception. Though our own ones might be tired out after the hen night. :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Aperitif said:
IEventually, one of the dentists here drilled it off - too painful. It was repaired and given back to me the Christmas before last - you guessed it - still too small for an enlarged joint!

Saw an episode of Airport where a guy hurt his hand and needed his ring cutting off, and the airport fire brigade turned out, because they had a tiny circular saw type cutter. Although ne wag came to the back of the ambulance carrying the great big hydraulic car-roof cutter-offer and joked about using that instead....:rolleyes:

barq

An ex-colleague of mine got matching titanium wedding rings for him and his wife. He described their symbolism rather nicely: light but strong - just like a good marriage.

Perhaps it sounds a bit twee, but I kind of bought into it. Obviously that has nothing to do with the intrinsic appeal of titanium to us cyclists. :eek:

longers

Legendary Member
Like Bianchi1 I have a second hand ring. I enjoyed wearing it as a symbol of the marriage and was proud to advertise the fact that I was married and it would be for ever.
Not so.

I wore it for some time afterwards and it took a couple of goes to be strong enough to take it off. When I did finally do it, I was physically sick :eek:.

I guess I should cash it in for the scrap value and spend the money on bike bits eh?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was bought a new wedding ring last Christmas....

My original ring didn't fit anymore as, over the last few years, I'd tried my best to damage my ring finger (or so the wife would say). Sliced my knuckle to the bone on two occasions - hence scar tissue and a lumpy knuckle - difficult to get ring on, then I dropped a 2' x 3' concrete slab on it (now that hurt and is still painful at times 3 years later).

So new ring last year.... back into commuting, lost two stone and the thing keeps falling off now...... so don't wear it too much (old ring still won't fit).

I need to get it adjusted at some point.

Happily married with two kids, so my efforts to damage my finger haven't caused any 'issues'.......

Melvil

My mates brother got married and then, five years down the line and with a baby toddler, he found out he was gay.

That produced fireworks, I can tell you.

U

User169

wafflycat said:
Marriage is not inherently a religious thing. You can get married without the full religious trappings - a civil ceremony.

Indeed. Traditionally it was of course primarily a property transaction.

twowheelsgood

I got married 3 weeks ago but I 've worn my ring since it was given to me a year or so back. (keeps away evil spirits and more importantly in her eyes other women).

Being left handed though is a pain; it's already looking battered.

bianchi1

Guru
longers said:
Like Bianchi1 I have a second hand ring. I enjoyed wearing it as a symbol of the marriage and was proud to advertise the fact that I was married and it would be for ever.
Not so.

I wore it for some time afterwards and it took a couple of goes to be strong enough to take it off. When I did finally do it, I was physically sick ;).

I guess I should cash it in for the scrap value and spend the money on bike bits eh?

Strange feeling isnt it. I took my ring into town on saturday to get it valued and decided to wear it as not to loose it. That felt strange i can tell you. I felt like I had gone back in time and felt very self conscious. Took it off in the end and put it on my keyring! Still, got offered 80 quid for it, not bad but was over 500 new. Still I guess the market for second hand wedding rings is not good!. What to do with the cash??

Top Bottom