Weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
papercorn2000 said:
Whoo! Uncanny! It was also OUR 6th anniversary on Saturday! (You surely didn't get married in Park Circus Registry Office, that would be too spooky).

No. My wifes family stay in the Wyre area, so it was a wee church down that way. We were in Kenya when 9-11, (11-9) happened so security on the way back was much much tighter: they made us point at our bags on the tarmac before they would load them on the plane. Made us feel a whole lot safer that did....:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheddar George said:
Let us know how the flint knapping goes. The big bloke on time team is obsessed by it - is it really that satisfying ?

There's a real skill to doing it right, making a really nice strong tool. You can make very sharp flakes (sharper than a scalpel) for small cutting jobs and even serrate them quite easily, but for a big axe you need to understand the stone, or you'll end up making one bad strike and shattering the whole thing.

I didn't knap any flint, but I did get to strike a few flakes off a Cornish beach cobble, and then grind it on a granite block to make a cutting edge - within an hour I had a hand axe which would cut a small tree down if I had to. I've taken it home to finish - in the absence of a granite block I'm using my blade sharpening stone to shape it for hafting and to polish it smooth.

Top Bottom