Votes: 13 20.6%
  • £40

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • £50

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • £50+

Votes: 28 44.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
When me and my wife first started living together in 2011 we would struggle to get the weekly food delivery up to the minimum spend, we'd always have to add on a bottle of wine or some beers.

10 years and a child later, I can't remember the last time our weekly shop was under £100, and we don't exactly go for premium brands or any free range / organic ranges. So was just interested in what everyone spends per week.

To make it a bit fairer, divide the total spend against the number of people in the house.

keithmac

Guru
My wife can do a weeks shop for £80, for all four of us (£20 per person).

vickster

Legendary Member
At least £40-50 for one I'd think. I don't really pay that much attention (I don't eat meat anymore, but do eat fish and ready meals). I've got an Asda online shop coming on Monday, which will be £100 (including catfood & toilet paper for example) and my parents are delivering £35 of stuff from their Sainsburys online shop today. But I've spent virtually nothing for weeks as I'm housebound!

I did spend £20 on a curry delivery on Wednesday, which did 2 meals (bearing in mind in the good old days I usually spent at least £50 a week eating out)

I've not had a takeaway coffee since 14 December either!! :ohmy:

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Since lockdown Mrs A_T or I walk to the Sainsbury Local for our weekly shop with very occasional things from Waitrose if Sainsbury don't have something we need, which includes my mum's as she lives alone and hardly leave her bungalow, especially in winter, so it's £90 between the 3 of us. It's usually around £40-45 twice a week, so £30 each. Haven't been inside Tescos, 6 miles away, since March last year! Take the car to Costco once or twice a year for boxes of washing powder and bulky stuff... hadn't appreciated how our world has reduced down to such excitement due to our self-induced Covid isolation!

{Edited for sanity!]

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Since lockdown Mrs A_T or I walk to the Sainsbury Local for our weekly shop with very occasional things from Waitrose if Sainsbury don't have something we need, which includes my mum's as she lives alone and hardly leave her bungalow, especially in winter, so it's £90 between the 3 of us. It's usually around £40-45 twice a week, so £30 each. Haven't been inside Tescos, 6 miles away, since March last year! Costco once or twice a year for washing powder, large jars of Bon Maman raspberry jam and Tiptree marmalade, toilet rolls and the jars of tomato slurry [what is it called, not the processed Dolmio stuff]... hadn't appreciated how our world has reduced down to such excitement due to our self-induced Covid isolation!
Slurry = passata?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Over £50 a week each when extras are taken into account. I know I can drop it but we're having shopping home-delivered and I'm willing to pay the extra currently: if I catch Covid I'm probably dead.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
between £40 and £60 per week thats for 2 of us.......

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We shop once a month and tend to spend £200 in total for the 2 of us. We then get odds and sods that we might need in between that. And of course, we tend to have 1 or 2 grandsons that that have an uncanny ability to turn up as we are about to cook....like right now.:laugh:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Thanks for this question. It led me to look at our actual grocery spend over the years. For us, price increases have compounded at 4% p.a., which means prices would roughly double in 40 years. This certainly puts the government's 2.5% p.a. pension increase guarantee into perspective. Obviously price inflation has not been uniform but I do not think it has ever been negative, so, for some, the future looks bleak if inflation increases as some are predicting it might.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Over £50 a week each when extras are taken into account. I know I can drop it but we're having shopping home-delivered and I'm willing to pay the extra currently: if I catch Covid I'm probably dead.
Same here it's top up shop only at the moment only when I know things are very quiet. The rest we buy click and collect so can get petrol at the same time. At the moment we are buying more much less often as you never know what coming. In normal times we don't do big shops.

Dan77

There are 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids) and it's generally around £100/week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

We try to go for cheaper options/own brand when we can and make use of offers. Both kids still in nappies which doesn't help although finally now the older one has them provided by local authority.

We do have some waste due to the fact that my daughter is unable to communicate what she would like and will just regularly refuse to eat what is provided for her, forcing us to make an alternative. It's not as simple as knowing what she likes as on another day she'll love exactly the same meal.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
At least £40-50 for one I'd think. I don't really pay that much attention (I don't eat meat anymore, but do eat fish and ready meals). I've got an Asda online shop coming on Monday, which will be £100 (including catfood & toilet paper for example) and my parents are delivering £35 of stuff from their Sainsburys online shop today. But I've spent virtually nothing for weeks as I'm housebound!

I did spend £20 on a curry delivery on Wednesday, which did 2 meals (bearing in mind in the good old days I usually spent at least £50 a week eating out)

I've not had a takeaway coffee since 14 December either!! :ohmy:
that's a very posh and clever cat

Top Bottom