Weight Carrying Limit of a 1990's Rear Pannier Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freedom

Regular
I'm hoping to purchase a dog carrying bicycle basket. However, I don't know the maximum carrying limit of the rear pannier rack which was attached when I purchased my Raleigh Pioneer Classic in 1991. My dog weighs 9kg, she's a wee Westie. Does anyone know the max carrying weight?
Thanks

Attachments

• Rear rack 2.JPG
    Rear rack 2.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 26

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Who knows, but 9kg isn't a great deal, so given its secured top and bottom mounts, it should be fine. I'd be more concerned that the little beggar will sit still?

it may just be the photo, but the rack also doesnt look level?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm hoping to purchase a dog carrying bicycle basket. However, I don't know the maximum carrying limit of the rear pannier rack which was attached when I purchased my Raleigh Pioneer Classic in 1991. My dog weighs 9kg, she's a wee Westie. Does anyone know the max carrying weight?
Thanks
Welcome to the forum.
The rack that you have fitted will probably carry that weight, you could try loading it up with 10kg worth of shopping as a trial before loading your dog on board.
What i would be more concerned with is the bolts that hold the legs of the rack to the stays. Steel nuts and bolts would be preferable if they aren't fitted already.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it steel? I've a similar one but in black powdercoat on my 1980s bike, which I think is branded as a "Tonard Brazing" rack. I'd be confident loading it to 10kg and probably 15, as I've another 7-shaped rack (so no front legs) which is rated to 10 and only started bending ( :eek: ) near 15.

My black rack is a good deal thinner than a 25kg-rated alloy rack I have on another bike and nowhere near even a third of the metal of my 75kg-rated steel brute, so even though it's different material to the 25kg and steel starts to bend long before it snaps which gives some warning, I wouldn't put anywhere near 25 on it.

OP
OP
F

Freedom

Regular
Thanks for the welcome to the forum, and all the replies.

The rack isn't level and sits on a slant. I have carried shopping in pannier bags which probably weighed 8-9kg.

Only yesterday, chatting with a neighbour, I was advised of a local metal fabrication business which is a 3 min cycle from my home! So, I'll pop down and ask if the pannier rack can be adapted. I'm unsure of the metal, but, I'm sure I'll be advised of same.

A couple of pics of Hollie, who had been with the SSPCA since April this year, having been neglected. She is 9 years old and was rehomed with me in September. She's a wee sweetie with a big personality!

Attachments

• Hollie 1.JPG
    Hollie 1.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Hollie 4.JPG
    Hollie 4.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 10
If you are going the metal fabrication route, cost up the job of adding threaded rack braze-ons to the seat stays. I had this done for about £10.00 and it made for a much stiffer, stronger rack installation.
Racks rarely break but the attachment points are often weak points. Bendiness is bad so 4 point fixing is better than 3. Triangles are stronger than quadrilateral shapes so keep your rack eyelets level with the rack top.
Use stainless steel allen bolts with washers. For safety critical loads I would add anti rotation serrated star washer and/or nyloc nuts.

OP
OP
F

Freedom

Regular
The rack is steel and it held a 25kg weight.:smile: I'm having it cut and extended out, which will then allow it to be level in the first instance. I'll mention about the attachment points etc.

Drago

Legendary Member
It might hold a 25lb weight, but they're flappier than John Inman's wrists so not good for stability when heqvily loaded.

Top Bottom