Weight gain why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
I have lost 3 stone since October last year but have not lost any in the last month or so.
Yesterday I did my first Audax ride 72 miles at a good pace (for me) and gained 1lb by the time I got home :sad:

Intake was:
Porridge with 1 banana and honey
1 x Green tea
.75l High5 4:1
.75l Water
3x Coffee (white no sugar)
Beans on toast
Slice of cake
Banana
500ml Mars recovery

Going by the inaccurate reading on my Garmin I should have used well over 6000 calories I can not believe the above would be more than that.

What's going on and how do I get back on the weight loss route?
Currently I am doing over 100 miles a week actually this month should be closer to 150miles a week. Oh and I think I am now eating less than I did :smile:
I look forward to your ideas and help.

I see your problem - you drove the audax in that camper van!

Seriously though, don't go looking for such direct correlation between calories out and weight off. Many many things can affect day-to-day weight. You are looking for the trend, so weight yourself once a week on a set day, after taking a dump and before having breakfast.

Also, you'll have put on a bit of muscle in your new regime, so go by waist size, clothes bagginess, holes on the belt and so on. Or if you want to get really technical, do a body fat analysis.

And get a bit of perspective. You've lost three stone - that's a massive achievement. Stop fretting about one pound.

Well done and best of luck.

Bodhbh

Guru
Hrmm I wouldn't taken any notice of fluxuations of a pound over the course of a day - probably just water. Weigh yourself in the morning after you've sorted out your bodily functions and before you eat or drink, and compare that over a period of time don't even bother looking at the weight during the day which will go all over the place.

Dunno what's in that energy drink, but can't see more than abotu 2500kcals in the other stuff. If I ate like that over a weekend and did a 70 odd mile every day I reckon I'd be 2-3kilo lighter on Monday, but it'd mostly be water.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Steve, some good advice there, I weighed in this morning and was shocked to have only lost about 5lbs in March. That's 21lbs overall, but my clothes, etc, felt like I'd done better, my wife thought so as well.

Only another 49lbs to go:ohmy:

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Twenty Inch said:

I wondered why all those bloody bikes kept getting in the way :smile:

It's not just yesterday but I seem to of come to a stop over the last month or so, I have gained some muscle too which is good.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My bathroom scales are good for revealing a weight trend but I don't trust individual readings.

For example - this morning they read 15-1. I brushed my teeth and weighed myself again - 14-13 - instant 2 pound weight loss!

They are only a cheap piece of consumer electronics so I don't rely on the readings being accurate, and as described above, they are not even consistent.

What I do is weigh myself every day and write down the readings. At the end of the week I take the average of the 7 weights. That way any little ups and downs tend to get smoothed out and the underlying trend is revealed.

Half a litre of water weighs 1.1 pounds so it isn't worth worrying about small daily fluctuations. It depends on what you ate or drank and when, and when your last toilet break was.

I find that a belt is a very good measure of weight loss progress. The one I use would only just do up at Christmas but now I've had to take it in about 4 inches.

MickL

Über Member
Muscle weighs more than Fat, as you exercise you can encourage muscle growth while burning the fat of, so your waist and other parts shrink your weight can remain the same. Well thats what I tell myself any way :smile:

Bodhbh

Guru
stevevw said:
It's not just yesterday but I seem to of come to a stop over the last month or so, I have gained some muscle too which is good.
I do wonder about how much muscle bulk you put on in your legs, even if you're no Chris Hoy. During the last year as the amount of cycling has gone up and down and back again, I've noticed there seems to be a couple of kilos that comes and goes down there - either loosing the weight when slacking off the cycling and the upper body stays more or less the same, or weight on the scales staying constant when I'm clearly loosing pounds up top, or whatever.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
I will try colinj's method of checking weight and see what the trend is. I will also find some more hills to go up, perhaps I can improve the power to weight ratio by improving the power and hope the weight part joins in too.

stevevw;651267][quote=Twenty Inch said:
]/quote]

I wondered why all those bloody bikes kept getting in the way :smile:

SAID = Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand

Your body has got used to the new demands you are putting on it and reached another equilibrium. You need to change the demands - less food, different exercise - try running and doing some weights as well - and generally mixing it up a bit.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Bodhbh said:
I do wonder about how much muscle bulk you put on in your legs, even if you're no Chris Hoy. During the last year as the amount of cycling has gone up and down and back again, I've noticed there seems to be a couple of kilos that comes and goes down there - either loosing the weight when slacking off the cycling and the upper body stays more or less the same, or weight on the scales staying constant when I'm clearly loosing pounds up top, or whatever.

You could have something, I have noticed that my upper body strength has improved latly so I could be adding muscle there too.

col

Legendary Member
As twenty inch says, your body gets used to the routine your doing, try upping your cardio and do some full out sprints after warming up, you need to shock your body into action again.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I gather that muscle weight instead of fat actually accounts for less than 6 kg in überfit people, although that doesn't stop me using it as an excuse.

I've been losing weight too and have also plateaued, although I have been less observant about what I'm actually eating than normal. I think that these things tend to go in cycles (pun unintended) and that you may find the weight zooms off again fairly soon.

I think the Garmin overreads quite significantly but I like those numbers so I go with 'em!

bonj2

ColinJ said:
My bathroom scales are good for revealing a weight trend but I don't trust individual readings.

For example - this morning they read 15-1. I brushed my teeth and weighed myself again - 14-13 - instant 2 pound weight loss!

They are only a cheap piece of consumer electronics so I don't rely on the readings being accurate, and as described above, they are not even consistent.

What I do is weigh myself every day and write down the readings. At the end of the week I take the average of the 7 weights. That way any little ups and downs tend to get smoothed out and the underlying trend is revealed.

Half a litre of water weighs 1.1 pounds so it isn't worth worrying about small daily fluctuations. It depends on what you ate or drank and when, and when your last toilet break was.

I find that a belt is a very good measure of weight loss progress. The one I use would only just do up at Christmas but now I've had to take it in about 4 inches.

your weight does also vary by as much as say 7 lbs during the course of a day, from morning to night.
If you haven't got an electric toothbrush then brushing your teeth is quite a vigorous exercise, you probably do lose quite a bit of weight doing that so i wouldn't be too quick to blame the scales ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bonj said:
your weight does also vary by as much as say 7 lbs during the course of a day, from morning to night.
If you haven't got an electric toothbrush then brushing your teeth is quite a vigorous exercise, you probably do lose quite a bit of weight doing that so i wouldn't be too quick to blame the scales ;)
The scales are getting worse... 14-13 this morning, had a pee, weighed myself again to see if the reading had fallen to 14-12 and it had increased to 15-1! I seem to have discovered negative weight urine. Now if I could just extract the negative weight water from that, we could use it to flow backwards up your dried-up riverbeds! xx(

Top Bottom