weight on bike or person

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
If I'm taking any stuff on a ride does anyone know if it makes any difference where the stuff is stored e.g. small saddle bag or back pockets. I'm thinking in terms of effort to shift weight. I assume that it doesn't matter where the weight is stored will make no difference. Is this assumption correct?

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How much weight ?
Saddle bags/shirt pockets not much unless the weight in the pockets is an irritation - i.e. swinging about.

Rucksacks/panniers - then it's different for some weight !

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
No. It's just some hand tools, pump, inner tube, gel. I'm wondering if I should put these in a medium Topeak saddle bag that's just under my saddle or stick it all in my pockets. Would it make a difference which ? cheers

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It does make a difference where you carry the weight. If it's not much then I'll carry in my back pockets, but on hot days or if you need to wear a waterproof, loaded pockets can be a pain, so where I can I carry on the bike. Saddlepacks/bags are great and I have several for all occasions. However, the downside is that you have weight high-up on the bike which swings about a bit when out of the saddle. An alternative for carrying the heavy bits is a storage bottle that sits in a bottle cage, I carry my tools and emergency stuff in one - it means the weight is low down and the bike feels more sprightly out of the saddle. I have 2 cages so water goes in the other. There's no need in the UK to carry 2 bottles.
There are great rack-pack solutions and bar bags too these days and for heavy loads more panniers than you can shake a stick at.
On my commute/pub/shopping/hack-bike I have a wire basket on the rear rack which is brilliant.
Rucksacks are fine for short blasts too and are a flexible solution, but sweaty and uncomfortable again in the wet.

So, for me carrying weight on the bike is best most of the time.

I doubt it makes much difference where you carry a few things but I prefer a nice light bike and my pockets stuffed with those things. The way it usually goes for me: the multi tool, keys and p'ture repair kit is in the small wedge bag and the small micro rocket pump, phone, cereal bars/ gel / energy bars/ bananas and gilet/jacket are in my pockets.

Norm

For many reasons (stability, sweatiness, not landing on stuff when you crash), low down on the bike seems the obvious answer.

However, because it is fixed, it is inert so you cannot use it to your advantage and it could be a disadvantage if it's in the wrong place for a given situation - heavy panniers at the back can make the front wheel light, a heavy saddle pack lifts the bike's c of g way over the axles etc. Weight on the rider, however, can by used advantageously and shouldn't act against you in a moment of adversity or even when climbing.

However, for the weight of a few tools etc, it will make little difference either way.

I'd put it, especially a pump, onto the bike as those things could punch a long way into soft flesh if you land on your back in an accident.

Bicycle

If I'm taking any stuff on a ride does anyone know if it makes any difference where the stuff is stored e.g. small saddle bag or back pockets. I'm thinking in terms of effort to shift weight. I assume that it doesn't matter where the weight is stored will make no difference. Is this assumption correct?

Thanks

I realise you already have replies, but the following woirks for me:

On a road bike, I put a rain cape, some tools, patches, levers, a tube and similar in a supermarket soup carton and wedge it into a spare bottle cage. All I have in my back pockets (usually) are telephone, wallet and malt loaf.

On an MTB I use a CamelBak (having lost too many bottles on fast, bumpy descents). Even the cheapest, smallest (1.5l) CamelBak has plenty of room for everything I normally put in my soup carton.

This system has worked well for me for many years, although people do wonder why I'mcarrying Tomato & Basil Soup on a ride...

Top Bottom