Weight Watcher's Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
weigh in day - 71.3kg so dropped half a kilo, 1.5kg off my pre-holidays low. It's been hard work this week, getting my body used to not eating cake every few hours! Actually seeing results for the suffering is motivation in itself so onwards & upwards, see if I can get my mojo back for training and I've cracked it.

si_c

Guru
I've had a couple of months of low bike activity, mixed with high levels of snacking and a couple of holidays. I've added 5kg to my year low weight, which is just unacceptable.

Weigh in at the start of last week was just under 96kg, a concerted effort over the last two weeks has seen me drop to 92.5kg, but I've seriously curtailed the amount of food that I'm eating. Lunch is less than half what it was (1 sandwich instead of 2 plus fruit) and breakfast has been cut by about a third, so I'm basically hungry all day. I'm having a larger meal in the evening though which means I'm less prone to picking up the snacks at home which is the danger spot.

nickAKA

Über Member
I've had a couple of months of low bike activity, mixed with high levels of snacking and a couple of holidays. I've added 5kg to my year low weight, which is just unacceptable.

Weigh in at the start of last week was just under 96kg, a concerted effort over the last two weeks has seen me drop to 92.5kg, but I've seriously curtailed the amount of food that I'm eating. Lunch is less than half what it was (1 sandwich instead of 2 plus fruit) and breakfast has been cut by about a third, so I'm basically hungry all day. I'm having a larger meal in the evening though which means I'm less prone to picking up the snacks at home which is the danger spot.

Knocking the lunchtime sandwich(es) on the head has been working for me for the last 6 years, would having three pieces of fruit & no bread at lunch plus a hearty evening meal be better? The 'hair shirt' approach to dieting is grim - but swapping 'bad' carbs for something slightly better might make more sense. I'll confess right now I'm not kicking my daytime sugar addiction so I'm in no position to judge, I've been eating a couple of chocolate digestives in the afternoon... the shame... I'm loading up on breakfast a bit but I can justify that if I'm doing time on the turbo the previous evening.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have started thinking about being more serious about my weight. My first step is to upgrade the bathroom scales to a Beurer BF700 which gives a smattering of useful metrics, but importantly helps me manage trends. BMI is tricky as I am short and muscular. Even the local doctors have consistently told me to ignore these readings. But I would be interested in muscle mass and particularly water percentage before and after workouts or long rides. This year my hydration really was good. No headaches, few cramps, and I felt the food I ate on a ride was used better.

I lost about 3kg recently and was staggered to notice how much easier a 200km ride was. No major change in average speed or the time to complete the ride, but lots of PBs especially on ascents. I felt so much better and my recovery was particularly speedy.

Of course there could be a host of reasons why this happened; and even at this level it is is all anecdotal without blood samples, pinch tests etc, but I like the idea of being a bit more ‘ard.

My face looks so much better a friend told me this morning. I was flattered. That’s counts for a lot. Mental health, esteem etc.

si_c

Guru
Knocking the lunchtime sandwich(es) on the head has been working for me for the last 6 years, would having three pieces of fruit & no bread at lunch plus a hearty evening meal be better? The 'hair shirt' approach to dieting is grim - but swapping 'bad' carbs for something slightly better might make more sense. I'll confess right now I'm not kicking my daytime sugar addiction so I'm in no position to judge, I've been eating a couple of chocolate digestives in the afternoon... the shame... I'm loading up on breakfast a bit but I can justify that if I'm doing time on the turbo the previous evening.
There is no way I'm knocking my Cheese related lunchtime sandwich on the head, although I've reduced the number of sandwiches I've slightly increased the cheese content. Fruit doesn't fill me up at all, I'm just as hungry 15mins later no matter how much I eat. Reducing the amount of food works for me, and I then manage the low level hunger through the afternoon by drinking more Tea.

I'm trying to avoid the classic remove all the fun things diet, and reduce quantity, which I know is sustainable over the long term, I just need to get through the first month and set the pattern.

nickAKA

Über Member
There is no way I'm knocking my Cheese related lunchtime sandwich on the head, although I've reduced the number of sandwiches I've slightly increased the cheese content. Fruit doesn't fill me up at all, I'm just as hungry 15mins later no matter how much I eat. Reducing the amount of food works for me, and I then manage the low level hunger through the afternoon by drinking more Tea.

I'm trying to avoid the classic remove all the fun things diet, and reduce quantity, which I know is sustainable over the long term, I just need to get through the first month and set the pattern.

I agree - I'm not a fan of stopping eating 'nice things' for diet either - it's counter productive, makes eating feel like a punishment and is ultimately demotivating. I do however try to 'earn' my treats. If I do a 2000 calorie effort (estimated obv) then I treat that as a free day, eat what I want, I've earned it!
For me, day to day eating & cutting down is a state of mind. Once I've got used to it and it becomes normal I'm fine. It takes time to get into the habit but it can be undone in a couple of weeks FFS.... :cursing:
I still feel hungry but I can cope with it, and I've probably cut 50% of the bread out of my diet over the last 6 years... still love bread, just eat less of it.

si_c

Guru
I agree - I'm not a fan of stopping eating 'nice things' for diet either - it's counter productive, makes eating feel like a punishment and is ultimately demotivating. I do however try to 'earn' my treats. If I do a 2000 calorie effort (estimated obv) then I treat that as a free day, eat what I want, I've earned it!
For me, day to day eating & cutting down is a state of mind. Once I've got used to it and it becomes normal I'm fine. It takes time to get into the habit but it can be undone in a couple of weeks FFS.... :cursing:
I still feel hungry but I can cope with it, and I've probably cut 50% of the bread out of my diet over the last 6 years... still love bread, just eat less of it.

Definitely. At the moment I've set my calorie budget at ~1500 per day, but I know that I'll burn an additional 1000 or so commuting, so I aim to eat around the 2000-2250 calorie mark. I won't eat all the calories back but usually around half. I'm also adding in turbo sessions from this week too, so that's increasing the calorie burn - however I won't eat those back unless my daily deficit is over 2000 cals.

I still eat my 4 slices of bread for sandwiches but what I did was to start buying the 400g loads rather than the 800g loads, the size of the slice of bread is smaller and is only 55kcal a slice on Warburtons Wholemeal Bread, 400g,

si_c

Guru
I still eat my 4 slices of bread for sandwiches but what I did was to start buying the 400g loads rather than the 800g loads, the size of the slice of bread is smaller and is only 55kcal a slice on Warburtons Wholemeal Bread, 400g,

I've done that too, but recently I moved to larger wholemeal breads which seem to fill me up a lot more, even though they have more calories, so I'm less likely to snack.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Gah. Picked up the new scales today, and assuming they are more accurate than my old cheap bathroom scales, I found they have been underreading by 1.5kg. :angry:

But for the first time ever I have an estimate from the scales that my body fat is 20% and my muscle mass is more than twice that. I would like to trim my fat % back. What % I don’t know so I’ll do some research. I was amazed that less than 1/7th of my weight was bone mass (10kg). I would have thought it would have been higher. Fascinating.

55% of me is water before and after an hour of tempo training, so I would guess I am hydrating well.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Gah. Picked up the new scales today, and assuming they are more accurate than my old cheap bathroom scales, I found they have been underreading by 1.5kg. :angry:

But for the first time ever I have an estimate from the scales that my body fat is 20% and my muscle mass is more than twice that. I would like to trim my fat % back. What % I don’t know so I’ll do some research. I was amazed that less than 1/7th of my weight was bone mass (10kg). I would have thought it would have been higher. Fascinating.

55% of me is water before and after an hour of tempo training, so I would guess I am hydrating well.
I just got these yesterday. I like gadgets. Lol. Interesting figures and looking forward to seeing the stats change as I hopefully lose a bit of weight.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H4RCBR9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Phew!

That 20% fat percentage for my age group is in the average, healthy, on weight or normal category depending on the source. In some it even is favourable towards the leaner end of the measurements. I am pleased about that although I do wish to knock some more off.

That 40% muscle percentage is considered high.

Top Bottom