Weight Watcher's Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
How's everyone's weight control going?

I'm currently going through a new year excerise regime that isn't sustainable, nearly 1hr day of either cardio or strength work outs.

52683497901_527e01261e_c_d.jpg

It's not really helping with weight loss either as I'm no nearer my psychological target of 70kg (which would take my BMI to bang on 'normal').

I know the 'issue' is snacking/eatting too much after excerise, so over the next few weeks will gradually reduce the amount of excerise am doing in conjunction with reducing my food intake.

1kg weight loss target may be small, but its still damn hard to achieve!!

52680376670_d80ab89957_k_d.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
]
I'm sure that his BMI is now much higher than it is supposed to be, but honestly - does he look overweight to you?!!! :whistle:

This is same 'excuse' people use all the time about rugby players.

Let's get honest here, stand in front of a mirror and look at your self. If all you see is a ripped body with muscle definition everywhere great forget about BMI, but if you a beer belly, some love handles etc and than it's unlikely the BMI scale is lying.

My BMI pretty much in the middle of 'normal' 22, 5ft 11, 71kg (11st 1) and this what my body looks like today. I'm hardly 'skeletal' nor am I build like Arnie. For me a BMI of 21-22 is pretty much bang on where I think I need to be with body fat vs muscle. I still need to loss about 1kg of belly fat, a BMI of 21 instead of 22 would is the target.

52682098474_3a2eeb02f1_c_d.jpg

This was me with a BMI of 24.5 when my weight was 80kg or 12.5 stone. I don't think anyone would argue I looked 'healthier' at BMI of 24.5 back than vs 22 now.

The mirror doesn't lie (and rarely does BMI).

52684022633_362bf4b80b_c_d.jpg

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm 5'7" and have always hovered around 11 stone 7. Just before COVID I went on the keto diet and got down to 10 stone 2. Everyone said I looked too scrawny but I felt good.
The weight has slowly piled on, especially over Christmas, and I went up to 12 stone 5. The heaviest I've ever been. My 34" trousers were a squeeze and I'd had to buy size L shirts.

So I've been back on keto for 3 weeks now and am currently at 11 stone 10. A loss of 9lbs. Still a way to go but I'm thoroughly in the zone and hope to carry on to my target

icowden

Veteran
It's not really helping with weight loss either as I'm no nearer my psychological target of 70kg (which would take my BMI to bang on 'normal').
An interesting read is "Presto! - How I made 100 pounds disappear" by Penn Jilette (of Penn and Teller). He underwent a radical diet designed by his friend "Cray Ray" (Ray Cronise), a food scientist. One of the tenets is that Penn was allowed to do no exercise. The premise is that if you want to lose weight you reduce food intake (in this case it was a strict diet of potatoes and water for two weeks - essentially a total re-education of the palette then gradual introduction of healthy foods that you previously thought were tasteless). Ray's theory is that if you are exercising you are telling your body essentially to bulk up and ask for more food (if I recall correctly).

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Ray's theory is that if you are exercising you are telling your body essentially to bulk up and ask for more food (if I recall correctly).

Pretty much what I've found. Unless you enjoying feeling shattered you have to fuel properly before/after excerise, but as we all know a 6 pack is made in the kitchen not the gym.

I'm currently week 6 into a 8 week Powerzone program on Peloton, pretty tough classes Zone 5/6 efforts this week. Once this program is done am back way off, and also will be much stricture with the diet.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes there are a lot of mixed views and advice out there regarding exercise. Mostly because a healthy lifestyle should be exercise and balanced diet, but that isn't always the best way to go for weight loss. it's health rather than slimming.

I used to rent a room off a lady who would do 2 hours gym every day after work and at the weekend, she'd come home starving and have for example chicken kievs, chips, veg and garlic bread. She never lost an ounce. Our bodies are so efficient that any type of movement burns relatively low amounts of calories. It's much easier to just not eat those extra 1000 than to try and burn it off at the gym. Coupled with the fact that you have to pretty much work aerobically for at least 40 minutes before you even start to burn fat. And the fact that some people after a gym session will feel hungry, tired and crave food more.

That's why I find keto so good for me (not health-wise, but for ease of sticking to it). You can pretty much eat whenever you like as long as it's meat, fish, eggs, salad, green veg. And you can drink alcohol (as long as it's spirits). So you don't feel as if you're life is "on hold" if you want to go to a party and have a drink. There are limitations yes, such as going out for a meal, but in the past I've just asked for a plain chicken breast with salad and it's been lovely. Probably becasue having next to no sugar for weeks on end helps to reset your pallete, so even plain veg starts to taste extra nice as you're not reliant on sweet sauces etc to experience good falvours.

TLDR: Easier to not eat a sandwich than to try and burn it off

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Can vouch for the exercise /weight loss equation . When I did cycle commute to work, 2hrs minimum each day at pace and you wouldn think I’d be stick thin !! Not a chance , you just eat more I found .

Weight loss is all about calories . Eat less calories , you will lose weight . As you get older it’s harder to shift I find . I could do with losing a stone probably two that would bring me down I think to around 14 stone . BMI would still have me obese but don’t care for that bollocks . 6ft and 14 stone is about right for my build .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Down from c. 83kg to 78.5 in just under a month.
Lots of surgery will do that...
Especially when they remove parts, rather than repairing them! :okay:

I couldn't believe how quickly I lost weight when gravely ill. Mind you, a big part of the loss was muscle. My formerly muscular legs ended up looking like my formerly scrawny arms. Those arms ended up even scrawnier, with folds of loose skin...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So. Due to lazyitus and greedyitus last year I pilled on a few pounds. Reaching 13st of which I haven't been for a good few years.
Snacking during and after work was my downfall. Biscuits, choccy bars, crisps etc, all the usual naughty stuff just being shoved into my pie hole.
So, got christmas out of the way as it just wasn't worth doing anything then, a lazy holiday in January didn't help either. So, end of Jan, I ditched all the crap foods. Just on that alone I have lost an average of a pound a week. Now down to 12st5lb. I did have a target of 12st for when I go to Spain for a mountainous cycling tour in 3 weeks. Not sure if I will make it to that weight, but will be happy enough if I got thereabouts.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been hovering at low 82s (kg) through the winter, so 12 st 12 lbs-ish. Considering how much weight I used to pile on at that time of year I was content with that.

Now that spring is here, it is time to get out more and lose the last 3 or 4 kgs to get to my target.

I feel some metric centuries coming on!

Top Bottom