Weight Watcher's Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Down to 226, and still very slowly reducing still further.

Looking to get down as much as I can before the lethargy of a long dark January sets in.

I've been following the ZOE program and a key message from that is Don't Count Calories!

Not all calories are equal:

4 digestive biscuits = ~280 Calories ... virtually all the calories are taken up by the body and a major sugar spike and crash result in more hunger

50 g of peanuts =~ 280 calories ..... slow digestion and absorption give a much lower sugar peak PLUS a significant proportion of the peanuts are excreted intact (The sweetcorn phenomenon!)

ie foods with the same calorie content do not result in the same calorie uptake by the body.

The type and nature of the food are more important than the simple calorie content.

There's many theories about dieting. Imo there is no one size fits all - what works for one won't work for another.

It still comes back to calories in v calories in V calories out. Sure some foods will make you feel fuller than others - the problem is as humans we tend to overide this and eat more than we need.

As an example when you come back from an all inclusive holiday - you're body is hungry for a similar calorie intake - so it's pretty hard to get back on track.

PK99

Legendary Member
There's many theories about dieting. Imo there is no one size fits all - what works for one won't work for another.

It still comes back to calories in v calories in V calories out. Sure some foods will make you feel fuller than others - the problem is as humans we tend to overide this and eat more than we need.

As an example when you come back from an all inclusive holiday - you're body is hungry for a similar calorie intake - so it's pretty hard to get back on track.

Yes calories vs in calories out.

But.
Quoted calorie content of food is based on measured calorie output when fully burnt in a bomb calorimeter.
The point often missed is that
not all calories in food consumed are burnt in the body.
Fibre, for instance contains calories but most are excreted.
Nuts are not fully broken down and digested, a portion of the calories ingested are excreted.

A practical example. Commercial ground almonds are a fine grind and are completely digested releasing all calorie content into the body. Grind your own whole almonds and the particle size is larger and a portion passes through the digestive system and is excreted.

Calories in = Calories burnt + Calories deposited as fat + Calories excreted

As always it is more complex than the neat soundbite suggests.

After modifying diet according to Zoe I eat more, never feel hungry and am slowly losing weight.

Yes calories vs in calories out.

But.
Quoted calorie content of food is based on measured calorie output when fully burnt in a bomb calorimeter.
The point often missed is that
not all calories in food consumed are burnt in the body.
Fibre, for instance contains calories but most are excreted.
Nuts are not fully broken down and digested, a portion of the calories ingested are excreted.

A practical example. Commercial ground almonds are a fine grind and are completely digested releasing all calorie content into the body. Grind your own whole almonds and the particle size is larger and a portion passes through the digestive system and is excreted.

Calories in = Calories burnt + Calories deposited as fat + Calories excreted

As always it is more complex than the neat soundbite suggests.

After modifying diet according to Zoe I eat more, never feel hungry and am slowly losing weight.

I'd bet that if you increased that 50g of peanuts to 100g you'd gain weight (all other things being equal).

For example advacados are very good nutrition wise - but they are quite calorific - have them too often you will gain weight.

Drago

Legendary Member
251.8 as of this morning.

The enforced "eat this or you'll die a lingering death of liver failure" diet thrust upon me by the doctor is probably helping.

A lot of nuts and roasted unsalted peanuts in my diet now (I have to be careful as I'm allergic to hazelnuts), all sorts of good oils and chemicals that give my liver a warm cuddle, and a typical lunch is now a small portion of walnuts and roasted peanuts and a banana and the weight is still coming off.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
I am trying to PUT it on,any spare tyres forward to Postman c/o meanwood leeds 6.I have lost one stone in twelve months.

Slick

Guru
251.8 as of this morning.

The enforced "eat this or you'll die a lingering death of liver failure" diet thrust upon me by the doctor is probably helping.

A lot of nuts and roasted unsalted peanuts in my diet now (I have to be careful as I'm allergic to hazelnuts), all sorts of good oils and chemicals that give my liver a warm cuddle, and a typical lunch is now a small portion of walnuts and roasted peanuts and a banana and the weight is still coming off.

Well at least my liver must be healthy then as the mixed, cashews and walnuts from Lidle are my go to snack and has been for years. Never lost any weight with it though, but volume was always an issue with me. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Stayed static at 254 this week. Was a little crestfallen, but Mrs D, who has yo-yo'd with her weight due to the high dosage steroid treatment she periodically endures and is used to then having to lose it all again, reckons it's not unusual to plateau for a week or two.

gzoom

Über Member
Dropped a big load of weight/fat last year, this year was about building a regular routine that kept the flab away which on the whole seems to have worked.

53371782227_aaca0e0f21_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom