Weight Watcher's Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
I don't believe in the calories in vs calories out.

That’s a bit like saying you don’t believe in gravity whilst jumping out of a plane……You cannot change the laws of biology, physics, and chemistry :smile:.

straas

Matt
I don't think it's quite that simple.

Surely different types of food take different amounts of energy to break down, and some won't be broken down completely? So two 100 calorie items won't necessarily translate to 100 calories of energy in every person?

Anyway - New year weigh in 93.6kg the heaviest I've been in at least 15 years and possibly the heaviest I've ever been :-(

Target is to get back to 76kg by December - hopefully I don't fail too miserably.

Drago

Legendary Member
not stood on the scales for a few weeks. I indulged somewhat over Christmas, although not to a stupid degree, so may have packed away a pound or two. As of today I'm back on my regime of common sense and moderation, and will start the weekly weigh-ins towards the end of the month.

PK99

Legendary Member
I don't think it's quite that simple.

Surely different types of food take different amounts of energy to break down, and some won't be broken down completely? So two 100 calorie items won't necessarily translate to 100 calories of energy in every person?

Indeed.

Quoted calories are Calorie CONTENT.

CONTENT is measured by complete burning in a Bomb Calorimeter.

Take 100g of commercially ground almonds vs 100g of whole almonds. Both have around 600 calories on their food lebelling

Eat the ground almonds and they will be fully digested and almost all the 600 calories will enter your system

Eat the whole Almonds and the next day you will deposit lumps of undigested almonds in the bog.

Not all food calories are the same

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
not stood on the scales for a few weeks. I indulged somewhat over Christmas, although not to a stupid degree, so may have packed away a pound or two. As of today I'm back on my regime of common sense and moderation, and will start the weekly weigh-ins towards the end of the month.

Mirrors my own behaviour and plans to rectify it.

Nobody needs to stand on a scale late December or early January. :eek:

Hopefully the weather holds out to get some rides in as well.

straas

Matt
Somehow by not boozing and doing more exercise I've put on 1.9kg! Maybe I was just heavily dehydrated on NYD.

Need to lose 1.6kg a month really to hit my target

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Somehow by not boozing and doing more exercise I've put on 1.9kg! Maybe I was just heavily dehydrated on NYD.

Need to lose 1.6kg a month really to hit my target

Cut the carbs. You're living proof that calories in and calories out is a spoof.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I started my diet on Jan 1st, got a bit of a shock on my first weigh in, I’d like to lose 3 stones!
I’m going to do a low calorie diet, Calories in v Calories out and weigh once a week.
We have a cruise booked in September so I have incentive and feel motivated, I’m going to look shocking in my Speedo’s if I don’t make an effort.

First Week 7lb loss, happy with that👍

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How is it going for you lot?

I put about 2 kg on over the winter, taking me to 81.5 kg, but with improving weather I am riding more and I am now back down to 80 kg.

I am still aiming to get down to 75-77 kg but am in no hurry. It would be nice to do it by mid-summer though to make my hilly all-day rides easier.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Terrible. I lost about a stone from January to March but I couldn't take dieting any longer. I've put on all that and more in just a few weeks. I can't stop eating, feeling pretty hopeless at the moment

Top Bottom