Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have lost on ounce under a stone over the last few weeks, in fact it could now be a stone since my last weigh-in. I ride a Trek FX 7.3. The naked bike weighs around 25lbs, add to that the panniers, rear rack, and all the clutter in the panniers.

I wonder how much it would cost to get a bike about 14lbs lighter than the Trek. I can't feel any difference yet, still hard work going up hill or into a head wind.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thousands - well done for doing it the hard way and saving yourself a lot of money!

The good thing is that the longer you stick with the weight loss programme, the more difference it will make to your climbing. I ended up not using the granny rings on my bikes for a year when I got really slim - see avatar! :thumbsup:

Well done on the stone!!

I started riding around 13stone, I'm now down to 9st 12lbs ish and the difference is phenomenal. I put a good 5lbs on over Christmas and I felt much better on the hills when I got back down a normal weight; that may be a placebo effect though.

You'll soon start to notice the difference!

paulw1969

Ridley rider
I have lost on ounce under a stone over the last few weeks, in fact it could now be a stone since my last weigh-in. I ride a Trek FX 7.3. The naked bike weighs around 25lbs, add to that the panniers, rear rack, and all the clutter in the panniers.

I wonder how much it would cost to get a bike about 14lbs lighter than the Trek. I can't feel any difference yet, still hard work going up hill or into a head wind.

well done Compo.....how did you lose it in just a few weeks then?

Blooming well done on losing a Stone Compo.
As for the potential of a lighter bike, why not look at an N+1 roadie and get out on that evenings and weekends.
You'll find a helluva difference and when alternately using/commuting with the heavy trek, still getting some serious work in.

If you're looking new, all the rave is the Triban3, or if you are hands-on, a used roadie can give you a great starter steed until you have the financial wherewithal to upgrade.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Blooming well done on losing a Stone Compo.
As for the potential of a lighter bike, why not look at an N+1 roadie and get out on that evenings and weekends.
You'll find a helluva difference and when alternately using/commuting with the heavy trek, still getting some serious work in.

If you're looking new, all the rave is the Triban3, or if you are hands-on, a used roadie can give you a great starter steed until you have the financial wherewithal to upgrade.

When I re-read my OP it could be interpreted that I am looking for another bike. To put the record straight I am not. I have an MTB and the Trek hybrid and they are enough for me. I am retired so don't commute and can go out whenever the fancy takes me. I actually sold my roadie last year.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi compo,
That's a very good weight loss. Well done:thumbsup:
Going up hill or into a head wind has always been hard work for me but there is still no sign of government legislation to have them both banned:sad:
By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh?
I'm bang on 14 stone at the moment I'm hoping to get it down to 13.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well done!

It might take some more weight to come off to really notice it (depending on your total weight), but once you feel it, you really will feel it. It is more a body weight % thing than absolute weight that I find noticeable.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've shifted a fair bit last year and I'd say giving it some beans isn't any easier now than it was in my pie-retention days, but the end result is a lot faster. My stamina is also a lot better.

oldroadman

Veteran
Some spot on comments. A good weight loss, and must improve the power/weight ratio. We call it watts per kg to be posh, but it amounts to the same. If output is x and weight is y, then working at y - 5kg resulst in more watts/kg. You probably don't realise you are going a bit faster, the output is likely still the same, work rate will pull the weight down more, and the end result is you feel better.
But, it tends to get faster, not easier!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Some spot on comments. A good weight loss, and must improve the power/weight ratio. We call it watts per kg to be posh, but it amounts to the same. If output is x and weight is y, then working at y - 5kg resulst in more watts/kg. You probably don't realise you are going a bit faster, the output is likely still the same, work rate will pull the weight down more, and the end result is you feel better.
But, it tends to get faster, not easier!

Agree, but it is worth commenting (incase someone who is already a lightweight decides to skinnify themselves further in order to get faster based on the above) unless you clearly have weight to lose or can do it in a very controlled and monitored way, it is better to increase Watts and keep kg steady or let it naturally come off with the increased intensity associated with upping power output rathen than to drop kg to improve your W/kg ratio, because if you are already light with not a lot to lose, you will likely lose both weight AND power.

For someone like compo who says he is over weight (no idea of his actual weight but won't question his assessment) then loosing weight is a good idea, for someone like me, who is quite skinny, weight loss should be controlled and more focus paid to upping raw power.

oldroadman

Veteran
Agree, but it is worth commenting (incase someone who is already a lightweight decides to skinnify themselves further in order to get faster based on the above) unless you clearly have weight to lose or can do it in a very controlled and monitored way, it is better to increase Watts and keep kg steady or let it naturally come off with the increased intensity associated with upping power output rathen than to drop kg to improve your W/kg ratio, because if you are already light with not a lot to lose, you will likely lose both weight AND power.
Very sensible comment - in the peloton when I was competing 3-5% body fat was not unusual, so nothing to lose. But for average people with more tha 15% (which is OK) losing a bit helps. You are right, the work to improve will result in a natural drop in weight along with power increase, which is why it's still hard bit faster. Reading about people who will spend loads to get 500 grams off the bike, I often think it would be cheaper and much more effective simply to drop a kilo of body weight!

Congrats... just back from Dr's myself and found out i have lost 4kg but all that means is my health conditions are playing up and I need to be more careful! But it is still hard work uphill or into a headwind and over the last few days uphill and into a headwind have been murder to say the least.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

Nice one Compo not easy losing weight this time of year. Im almost back to my pre Christmas pig out weight now.

Top Bottom