Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I noticed a lighter bike made a significant difference on the hills for me. Since getting the bike i too have lost about 10 pound since Christmas and it definitely helps but not as much as when i first got the new bike.
That's almost certainly because the 10 pound is a very small % of my total body weight of roughly 234 pound.

I noticed a lighter bike made a significant difference on the hills for me. Since getting the bike i too have lost about 10 pound since Christmas and it definitely helps but not as much as when i first got the new bike.
That's almost certainly because the 10 pound is a very small % of my total body weight of roughly 234 pound.
don't recall you looking that much! mind you I can might not be a good judge - most people think I am a skinny light bugger and I am not.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
In answer to those who asked I am now, as of 2 minutes ago, 115 kgms. or as near as dammit 18stone 1lb. so I have plenty of weight to lose.

billy1561

BB wrecker
don't recall you looking that much! mind you I can might not be a good judge - most people think I am a skinny light bugger and I am not.
Trust me i am! You wouldn't want to be under me if i fell over put it that way...
Have been alcohol free hence the weight loss in January. May even keep it up as i have some hilly rides over the spring and summer. I'm sure my legs will appreciate it!

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
How much weight do you want to lose?

Eventually, and I am looking long term, I would like to get down to 13 stone or thereabouts. I will be doing the Dunwich Dynamo in July and would like to be less then 16 stone by then. I am not going to beat myself up over it though.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Well done Compo :smile: once you get going and realise your own winning formula you'll be able to loose/gain weight at will. The trouble is, is that its very addictive when you get going!

7onagrifter

Eventually, and I am looking long term, I would like to get down to 13 stone or thereabouts. I will be doing the Dunwich Dynamo in July and would like to be less then 16 stone by then. I am not going to beat myself up over it though.
I`m considered 2-3 stone overweight to be an effective tree climber (i`m about 206 Llbs) But I`m no slower than any lads in their 20`s? (at tree climbing) so I don`t see any problem with it, similarly to you in your case?
What I`m getting at is that I`m 43 and don`t expect to lose much weight once the weather improves and I hit the peak 2-3 times a week?
Is it impolite to ask your age per chance? :biggrin:

Chris S

Legendary Member
I don't think weight makes that much difference for everyday cycling. I cycled home uphill carrying a 2.5kg bag of potatoes and didn't notice any difference. In fact I was at home before I realized what I'd done.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't think weight makes that much difference for everyday cycling. I cycled home uphill carrying a 2.5kg bag of potatoes and didn't notice any difference. In fact I was at home before I realized what I'd done.
Everyday cycling, perhaps not, but try lugging significant weight up significant hills quickly and you would certainly notice a few extra kgs! I've been 20+ kgs over my ideal weight for about 6 years and the local hills have been very hard work.

Good work Compo.

Every kg that comes off is one less to carry with you up the hill. When you get to your goal of 13 stone (and you will!!!) you will be like a new man.

Power/kg is often thought of as the holy grail to pro cyclists . Not hard to see why when they go up alpine ascents on a daily basis. Every Kg overweight is a Kg they have to pull up the climb.

For the average cyclist though, it's not going to be likely that you can balance anorexia with serious training to increase power.;)

For the mere mortal, i think achieving a decent ratio of body fat, muscle and fluids (or BMI) is a realistic goal. Gaining muscle weight and losing body fat might actually result in a slight weight increase but this weight would be far more useful than too much body fat. In fact once you are nearer your ideal weight it becomes a real struggle to maintain power whilst still losing weight. It's a tightrope!!! :wacko:

Top Bottom