Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Well done on the weight loss, Compo, that's amazing!

I am trying to lose not weight, but inches.

I am trying to get down to a size 8 (I am a 12/14) and I weigh about 12st. I am starting training for a triathlon, so I can't see myself getting much lighter.

What are your tips on losing weight though? I was on weight wtachers, but I found it too much of a faf.

Well done on the weight loss, Compo, that's amazing!

I am trying to lose not weight, but inches.

I am trying to get down to a size 8 (I am a 12/14) and I weigh about 12st. I am starting training for a triathlon, so I can't see myself getting much lighter.

What are your tips on losing weight though? I was on weight wtachers, but I found it too much of a faf.

This thread might (or might not) be of interest. It seems safe enough and most people are getting results. As many will point out though, every person is different and before starting such a regime one should assess their goals.

I put that last part as a few on here would pounce on me if i gave an answer without knowing your history or reasons. :whistle:

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Hmm, I am getting married and want to loo a bit less porky, but am also doing a mini triathlon, so don't want to fast or do this crazy Dukan crap my friends are all up to, or go back to my crazy old ways (I made up a diet where I only ate clemantines and rice cakes for a year. I was a size 4/6, but I slept for 16 hours a day!)

RWright

Guru
Hmm, I am getting married and want to loo a bit less porky, but am also doing a mini triathlon, so don't want to fast or do this crazy Dukan crap my friends are all up to, or go back to my crazy old ways (I made up a diet where I only ate clemantines and rice cakes for a year. I was a size 4/6, but I slept for 16 hours a day!)

Why do I feel guilty for LMAO at that last line ?:crazy: Glad you got through that and are alive to tell about it. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm one of the CycleChatters trying '5:2 fasting'. I think that the name is doing it a disservice because it makes it sound faddish or extreme, which it isn't.

In my case this just involves 5 days a week of normal health eating with a few treats here and there, and two days of light, healthy eating but no treats. Not stuffing your face every day seems a pretty good idea - it gives the body a chance to digest and clear out what you eat the rest of the time. I can't see a downside to it, given the research showing many health benefits apart from any weight loss, which should really be viewed as a side-effect of this eating pattern.

It isn't starvation - I've been doing it for a few weeks and I haven't been really hungry even once. What odd pangs of appetite I have felt, have soon been dispelled by having a glass of water or mug of tea.

I'm still a bit too ill to want to risk cycling at the moment, otherwise I reckon I could go out and do hard hilly rides on any of the normal eating days, no problem.

I do something similar to the 5/2 fasting but instead of having 2 fasting days, i eat fruit and veg only. Have done this for quite some time (i am a vegetarian) and i have no loss in energy at all. The 2 days off less calories would ideally be rest days with no training imo.

My lifestyle is a bit like this: Food is fuel, nothing more and nothing less. Fuel up for exercise but take the foot off the gas on rest days.

I personally won't eat 2500 calories on a rest day. I train/cycle 4-5 days a week and on those days i fuel between 2000-3000 calories depending on the erxercise intensity.
Far too many people use the 2000 (for woman) and 2500 (for men) rule but this is too large a generalisation imo. Everyones engine is different and the individual should find out what works for them.
In my case the calories depends on the day ahead. Day at a time. This is the most economical way ime.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I do something similar to the 5/2 fasting but instead of having 2 fasting days, i eat fruit and veg only. Have done this for quite some time (i am a vegetarian) and i have no loss in energy at all. The 2 days off less calories would ideally be rest days with no training imo.

My lifestyle is a bit like this: Food is fuel, nothing more and nothing less. Fuel up for exercise but take the foot off the gas on rest days.

I personally won't eat 2500 calories on a rest day. I train/cycle 4-5 days a week and on those days i fuel between 2000-3000 calories depending on the erxercise intensity.
Far too many people use the 2000 (for woman) and 2500 (for men) rule but this is too large a generalisation imo. Everyones engine is different and the individual should find out what works for them.
In my case the calories depends on the day ahead. Day at a time. This is the most economical way ime.
Hmmm, think my engine needs tuning :whistle:

billy1561

BB wrecker
I'd be surprised if most didn't. We adopt an eating habit and tend to stick to it. Over the xmas period for example i ate and drank lots more and this is just out of habit than anything else.
I agree it's more a ritual for us as a family to have a ridiculous sized dinner and pub visit drinking far too much and not just Christmas day either :laugh:
Always wonder why January is so tough....

oldroadman

Veteran
A lady on here was talking about wanting to lose size/weight and do a tri. Training for a tri will be effective, running simply sheds weight, healthy eating with plenty of veg and NO CHOCOLATE, keeping calorific intake lower than output. It's a fairly simple equation, if energy in is less than energy out, weight loss happens. Tough at first but a routine soon develops. Early season (November onwards) I did (retired from competition now) a 30 minute steady state run before eating anything (after the, ahem, essential visit for comfort). This combined with sensible food, no alcohol - that lasts the rest of the season - and bike training starting with 3-4 hours a week and building up , (plus the swim sessions for a tri), will see weight come off. My own bike training never really stopped, 15-18 hours a week was an absolute minimum.
For ladies, I'm not sure targeting a specific size is a good idea, surely to be fit and healthy will give you the result you want?
Another point, with training you can build muscle, which is heavier than fat, so shape change might happen with a minimal weight loss at first. Steady state training will build endurance and encourage weight loss, hard intervals can build muscle but that will not see weight such big losses. But it will drop eventually, slow and steady stays off, fast drops tend to rebound.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Everyday cycling, perhaps not, but try lugging significant weight up significant hills quickly and you would certainly notice a few extra kgs! I've been 20+ kgs over my ideal weight for about 6 years and the local hills have been very hard work.

I might have to take back what I've said. I've just bought an 18kg Batavus Barcelona - you certainly notice the difference!

Top Bottom