Weird cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker Joe

Über Member
You do see some weird cycling positions that some folks use don't you.
Saddles that are just shy of the BB. with handle bars almost level with their face.
Pedalling using the middle of the foot, spread out sideways.
Knees pointing out so far you wonder if they're trying to signal both ways at once.
Bobbing up and down like a YO YO on any incline.
Riding bikes that are creeking, clicking and rattling along with parts held together ,very efficiently it seems, with rust.
Speeding along at 4.7 mph.
I often experience a fleeting urge to sort them out, wondering if I could alleviate some of their obvious suffering. Help them to experience a good cycling posture on a well set up bike.
But it's only a fleeting urge and I look and I smile and I wonder...................................

compo

Veteran
I have never noticed you watching me.

tadpole

Help I don't think some people can be helped, not even with a sledgehammer to tap it in with. So I restrict myself to shouting advice at stupid old people who cycle on busy main roads, at night, wearing a bobble hat under an fastened child’s cycling helmet that forces their hair into their eyes, jumping red lights in front of me, with their handbag on their arm and shopping hanging from the handle bars.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Help I don't think some people can be helped, not even with a sledgehammer to tap it in with. So I restrict myself to shouting advice at stupid old people who cycle on busy main roads, at night, wearing a bobble hat under an fastened child’s cycling helmet that forces their hair into their eyes, jumping red lights in front of me, with their handbag on their arm and shopping hanging from the handle bars.
I just consider all that to be natural selection and let nature do her work.

tadpole

I just consider all that to be natural selection and let nature do her work.

The problem with natural/Darwinian selection is not only does the candidate get wiped out, there are other casualties involved, in this case nearly me. Unfortunately this person was old enough to have already bred and passed on the all kind of stupid gene to a whole new generation.

Sara_H

Guru
Saddles that are just shy of the BB. with handle bars almost level with their face.
Peddling using the middle of the foot, spread out sideways.
Knees pointing out so far you wonder if they're trying to signal both ways at once.
Riding bikes that are creeking, clicking and rattling along with parts held together ,very efficiently it seems, with rust.
I often experience a fleeting urge to sort them out, wondering if I could alleviate some of their obvious suffering. Help them to experience a good cycling posture on a well set up bike.
But it's only a fleeting urge and I look and I smile and I wonder...................................
If they're cycling and they're happy, what's it to you?

compo

Veteran

Do they count as a scalp?
I don't get many so every one helps.

OP
OP
Biker Joe

Biker Joe

Über Member
If they're cycling and they're happy, what's it to you?
Nothing really. As you say, if they're cycling and they're happy.
Just sharing some observations. Take it or leave it.:smile:

Sandra6

Veteran
Sometimes they don't look very happy though.
I saw a lady, cycling with children, with her seat so low her knees were under her chin and she was in no way enjoying it.
We passed her on our way out, and again on the way back (pootling up and down cycle path) so the second time I did say, "you know you might find it easier with the seat a bit higher". She smiled and told me that was what her husband said, but as she had a problem with her pelvis after having kids, she couldn't manage it any higher. I could've gone on to explain some very good exercises for just such a problem but figured that was maybe pushing it.
Once on the way to a work's night out with a couple of cycle mechanics I had to practically hold them back when someone went past with a rattle and a squeak, if they'd had a spanner between them I'd have lost!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I agree so much with the OP; I see many cyclists for whom a small change of position or setup would make life much easier. Also cyclists with their helmets perched on the backs of their heads.

Last year I did chase and stop a girl on a BSO with the forks on backwards, her boyfriend had bought it in a supermarket and set it up for her. I turned the forks round and sent her on her way.

Every morning I see a bloke on a big downhill mountain bike going past me in the opposite direction; upright position, clothes flapping in the breeze, teeth gritted and suspension bouncing with the effort. He looks very fit indeed and I so much want to stop him and tell him a road bike would probably halve his commuting time.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Oy! "Riding bikes that are creeking, clicking and rattling along with parts held together ,very efficiently it seems, with rust."

Thats me but its not my fault.:sad:

I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Is it some sort of vicarious frustration?

Is it an evangelical joy at having found the 'right' way and feeling driven to share it with others?

I doubt it myself, but some wry observers may see a little of the "I know sooo much more than you" sentiment here.

Coming from the days of dynamos under the bonnet, I still use my wipers sparingly. I use them, but sparingly. Many years ago I was in a hire car with a 'techno-evangelical' motorist who thought his way was the way. He kept wanting me to use full beam when I didn't need it. His frustration eventually exploded and made him reach across the column at speed to put my wipers on. I was fine without them. It was deeply geeky, a little controlling and made me giggle uncomfortably for the rest of our trip. It wasn't heavy rain and my vision was not obscured. Bizarre.

It's lovely that people want to ride bicycles. If someone I didn't know told me my frame was too big (which it is) or that my pedalling action is too square (it is) I would find it slightly odd and almost stalkerish.

I'm just saying....

Carry on. :sad:

400bhp

Guru

Weird spelling.

Just sayin, like

Top Bottom