Weird cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Biker Joe

Biker Joe

Über Member
I'm not sure what the issue is here.

I doubt it myself, but some wry observers may see a little of the 'I know sooo much more than you" sentiment here.

It's lovely that people want to ride bicycles. If someone I didn't know told me my frame was too big (which it is) or that my pedalling action is too square (it is) I would find it slightly odd and almost stalkerish.

I'm just saying....

Carry on. :sad:
O the first point, I think you're right here and I'm probably guilty to some extent.:whistle:
On the final point I agree also. That's why I wouldn't approach anybody on that subject.:B)

Lanzecki

Über Member
There's a little old lady that cycles to the shop 2-3 time a week in the local village on a step thru. Over the last 12 years that I've seen her, the bike has obviously had no maintenance. It's gone from a blue to a dirt colour, the gears don't work and the tyres are knackered.

The last 6 months it's obviously locked in top gear on the rear cassette. The road from her house to the village is all down hill, but even so she still has to cycle. Going up is the slowest up hill push I've ever seen.

I did try and talk to her outside the shop she was at, with the intention of offering to fix the bike, but she was far too wary, I cannot blame her really :smile:

Last Nov I finally managed to find out where she lived and had a local introduce me to her. I ended up replacing the broken gear cable, fixing the non-existent brakes, and sorting the tires.

She now free wheels down the hill and goes up in 1st. "I didn't think it was that broken, I just thought it was me".

Where's the family though... In Dublin wearing a suit with no time for family. Sad. It really is.

'You do see some weird cycling positions that some folks use don't you.
Saddles that are level with the BB. with handle bars under the seat.
Pedalling using the middle of the foot, toes pointing upwards.'

. . . the clue is in my handle . . .

Shaun

Founder
I'm often tempted to say something to those people who's saddle is set so high they're wobbling from side to side just to turn the cranks; the hips dipping and rising faster than a Brazilian Mardi Gras dancer.

You know, a polite "You'd find it easier if you dropped your saddle height a little" - but then some people don't take kindly to advice from random strangers and so I leave them to it and pass by.

I do wonder if people would benefit from random "bike fit" stop checks? Wave them in, grab some tools, set the bike up in a more comforable/safer way, and then grab the saddle and give them a "shove off" and send them on their way to enjoy their cycling a bit more.

I suppose though, for most it is a simple device to get them from A to B - and if that isn't too far away they can put up with all manner of odd set-ups because, to them, it doesn't really matter. ^_^

Lanzecki

Über Member
I do wonder if people would benefit from random "bike fit" stop checks? Wave them in, grab some tools, set the bike up in a more comforable/safer way, and then grab the saddle and give them a "shove off" and send them on their way to enjoy their cycling a bit more.

Sort of like a bike version of car windscreen cleaners. Jump out at the lights, A quick tweak to that squeaky brake and hold out the hand for a pound

Shaun

Founder
Sort of like a bike version of car windscreen cleaners. Jump out at the lights, A quick tweak to that squeaky brake and hold out the hand for a pound

Well, more like the police spot checks on cars really - but your version sounds more fun. :laugh:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Nothing really. As you say, if they're cycling and they're happy.
Just sharing some observations. Take it or leave it.:smile:

I'll take it Joe. There is a little old fella that cycles past my house several times a week. He rides a VERY old shopper, small enough to be ridden by the average 7 year old, back hunched, knees coming up under his chin, travelling at an incredible slower than walking pace, and every time I see him I get the urge to go and grab his bike off him and show him the error of his ways. But wot the hey, lifes too short.

Top Bottom