Weird Feline Bahaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I have always had cats since I was a wee nipper, but my current moggie has a strange habit of dipping his paws into his water bowl a few times before he decides to drink. Never seen this before. Does anyone else's cats do this or is mine just a nutter?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
put a piranha in the water bowl that will stop it :wacko:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Has he always done this or is it a recent thing?

He could be seeing things in his water or something else is confusing or disturbing him. Does he always drink from the same bowl in the same place? Perhaps moving the bowl elsewhere might help or using water that has been boiled or left standing for a few hours before putting in his bowl.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Has he had had his eyes checked by the vets? It could be that he can't tell where the surface of the water is by sight and got fed up with snorting it through misjudgement.

Could try a different type of water bowl.

longers

Legendary Member
Good call about the eyesight NT. I don't know how you'd get a cat to read one of those eye charts though ;).

One of mine, her favourite thing is to wait for me while I'm having a shower and the get dripped on while I'm drying myself. She absolutely loves it but hates rain :?:.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
One of my friend's cats when he was younger liked tapping the water from time to time, apparently just found the ripples interesting.

yorkshiregoth said:
I have always had cats since I was a wee nipper, but my current moggie has a strange habit of dipping his paws into his water bowl a few times before he decides to drink. Never seen this before. Does anyone else's cats do this or is mine just a nutter?

One of our cats, Casper, does this as well. However our other cat, Jasper, prefers to drink from a dripping tap.

I think they are both finding this hot weather a bit tiresome as they've spending most of their time flaked out under a bush in the garden

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
arranandy said:
One of our cats, Casper, does this as well. However our other cat, Jasper, prefers to drink from a dripping tap.

I think they are both finding this hot weather a bit tiresome as they've spending most of their time flaked out under a bush in the garden

nutmeg (not the cat in my previous post) does both the dripping tap and the paw in the water routines.

Night Train

Maker of Things
A couple of my cats prefer dripping taps, preferably in the bath. Had to stop that, it was wasting water.

I did have one cat that like playing with running water from the tap.
He saw me peeing in the toilet bowl one day and made a running jump for the stream of pee from behind me and went head first between my legs and down the toilet bowl. Had to grab him buy the scruff of the neck to save him from drowning.

Maz

Guru
yorkshiregoth said:
I have always had cats since I was a wee nipper...
Same here. Oddly enough, none of the cats was rightfully ours ;). They would walk along the adjoining walls of the terraced houses and just stop off for a bite to eat or a bit of shelter, bit like a feline drop-in centre.

peanut

alecstilleyedye said:
i'm sitting outside with a female ginger feline who keeps trying to rub her teeth against the laptop monitor. stupid moggy ;)

she's rubbing her mouth glands on your laptop to mark it as part of her territory and her pack . Either that or she's trying to chew it :rolleyes:

Arch

Married to Night Train
longers said:
Good call about the eyesight NT. I don't know how you'd get a cat to read one of those eye charts though ;).

Like this?

M

I O

W M I

O W M I

O W M E O

W M E I O W

P U R R R R R R R

Drat, wanted it centred, but couldn't work out how...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
A cat I had a few years ago, called Kato, used to jump out and attack me whenever I came home, just like his namesake from the Pink Panther films. My other cat called Ninja used to sleep on my car bonnet.

Top Bottom