Weird/strange things that become collectors items.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Not really a collection though.
That could well be a blessing as one is more than enough. I couldn't stand the excitement of having more than one. ^_^
There was me thinking @welsh dragon was a purveyor of polyandry

classic33

Leg End Member
I have a (large) box of beermats in the loft, I collected from the late 60's through to the late 70's and which in our house is largely forgotten about. This thread prompted me to discover there is a British Beermat Collectors Society.
There's a beer glass collection group to go along with the mats.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
There's a beer glass collection group to go along with the mats.

In my youth, on the very odd occasion I used to try start a collection, the landlords used to get arsey about it.:laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My 2 nephews have an eye for making money.

Pokemon cards was one of their best sellers. They would look on selling sites and would buy a whole stack of cards just to get one card. They knew the monetary value of each card in each set, from whatever country.

It was like the stock exchange of Pokemon. They made hundreds of pounds at it.

They are Danish and have always had lego. Then they went onto buying and selling lego bricks. I didn't know that some lego pieces are very collectable. Not models, but individual bricks and pieces. Again they made a packet on that.

When they were very small an employee at Lego put them on a mailing list. When a new Lego poster is released, they both get one posted to them in a cardboard tube. They have dozens of them stored in boxes, never opened. They tell me its their retirement fund.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a small pile of Littlemill Distillery ashtrays in new condition. The distillery is now shut down permanently as a developer put boxes made of ticky tacky all over the site. Must be rising in value to the right collector. ( I hope)

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I have a small pile of Littlemill Distillery ashtrays in new condition. The distillery is now shut down permanently as a developer put boxes made of ticky tacky all over the site. Must be rising in value to the right collector. ( I hope)

Spooky! Not 15 minutes ago I played Pete Seeger doing that on the tube for no reason other than I fancied listening to it, then on catching up with this place I see that.

brucers

Guru
I used to collect pub names on my travels around the UK. My only rule was I had to see the pub even if someone else read the name out for me. Absolutely no monetary value.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have a (large) box of beermats in the loft, I collected from the late 60's through to the late 70's and which in our house is largely forgotten about. This thread prompted me to discover there is a British Beermat Collectors Society.
I inherited 2 such boxes of beer-mats after clearing my parent's house in the 1990s. My father was an avid 'collector'* of many things. Oddly, he was absolutely teetotal, but visited hostelries for their mats. I contacted the British Beermat Collectors Society, with a view to turning my heirloom into cash. Eventually I was visited by one of their members ….. only one or two of the hundreds were of any interest, and I received an offer of £5 for the lot IIRC. They eventually went to a local auction room along with his 'collection' of matchbox labels and other odds and ends. Raised a few pounds in the end, but hardly worth the effort.
* = hoarder

Venod

Eh up
Just skimmed through this thread and spotted some trainers in the video that were my lads, I use them for gardening.

I have quite a few old digital cameras and old mobiles, I have often wondered if these will become collectable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom