Welcome in the Scottish Highlands & Islands ? Or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The locals just call it a walk up the Cape.

I have to say the 'Trail' bit does make my inner 'Hill Brit' cringe just a tad ..

Sounds a bit 'across the pond' ..

Expecting plaid shirted Bud n Hank to turn up , and want to fist bump

Plus it's a total misnomer

There is no trail, scarce a path half the time.

And its not even an agreed route as such..

Plus deviations from whatever is even vaguely agreed upon, were made too..

Long may it stay that way...

I have to say the 'Trail' bit does make my inner 'Hill Brit' cringe just a tad ..

Sounds a bit 'across the pond' ..

Expecting plaid shirted Bud n Hank to turn up , and want to fist bump
1624292911488.png

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes exactly..

One has to have some kind of existential crisis along the way.

And then emerge a newly 'found' person..

Preferably with a book deal.

Just going for a longish walk, through nice scenery, isnt enough these days, it would appear:shy:

snorri

Legendary Member
Wow..That's quite an achievement..So I'm assuming you don't live there??
Although I guess if you don't live there, and you're not a hill walker, then not knowing would make total sense .:okay:
I live here but have not done any multi-day hill walks and was unaware of a named route.
I was paid to visit Cape Wrath forty years ago last January and approached along the north coast in a hired car no less. The car was an old Renault and shed a door en-route but we survived to tell the tale:smile:.

Baldy

Über Member
Originally it was just a challenge with a start (Fort William) and a finish (Cape Wrath) your route was up to you. Then along came a journalist who wrote "the diffinative guide" only it was the most boring route anyone could have made. Now we have at least three diffinative guides and people slavishly follow them, makes one want to weep. You could walk the "trail" 100 times and not go the same way twice.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Originally it was just a challenge with a start (Fort William) and a finish (Cape Wrath) your route was up to you. Then along came a journalist who wrote "the diffinative guide" only it was the most boring route anyone could have made. Now we have at least three diffinative guides and people slavishly follow them, makes one want to weep. You could walk the "trail" 100 times and not go the same way twice.

Rest assured no slavishness , nor guidebook involved..:okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Guidebooks??

I don't even take a map. What kind of adventure are you going to have with maps, GPS and guidebooks. Pah - bloody post-COVID born-again "stay-cationers", ruining the countryside for proper outdoors folk ...

Oh don't start getting all grumpy, it's big enough out there for all of us, really...:rolleyes:

Map n compass, seems like a reasonable compromise btxt over, and under planning.

But having said that, in my book, it's only a 'stay'cation..

If you stay at home.

Otherwise it's just UK holibobs :becool:

Blinkin' sun, just wouldn't go down...

Grumble grumble, grumble...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I’m just back from two weeks near Aviemore. It was mostly surprisingly quiet. Only ever met a handful of people each day on the trails and there were always spaces available where we wanted to park. We did notice more signage however, of the “Private, no access” and “No Parking” sort. There was definitely a suggestion that they were bracing themselves ready for the seige to come.
On my most recent travels about 5 years ago now ago now these signs were usually accompanied by a flagpole with a Union flag.

I wonder if Scottish people visiting the Lancashire coast have a magical immunity to 'taking it back with them', bearing in mind Ms Sturgeons 'banning' of visits from Mancunians and Salfordians.

There were plenty of Scottish accents in Lytham when I went yesterday - and Lytham isn't much of a 'holiday resort'. I bet it's much busier a little further up the coast ...

Brandane

Legendary Member
I wonder if Scottish people visiting the Lancashire coast have a magical immunity to 'taking it back with them', bearing in mind Ms Sturgeons 'banning' of visits from Mancunians and Salfordians.

There were plenty of Scottish accents in Lytham when I went yesterday - and Lytham isn't much of a 'holiday resort'. I bet it's much busier a little further up the coast ...
It's all gone a bit barmy now, and probably best suited to the politics board, BUT.... Tens of thousands of ticketless Scottish football supporters invade central London for 2 days of "partying" at close quarters then travel back to Scotland. Apparently that's ok.. A couple of weeks previously, a cruise ship with a restricted passenger load was banned from docking at Greenock because of the covid risk. The passengers had all originated in Southampton, all had been double vaccinated, and all tested negative for covid. Had they travelled up by bus, car, train etc. no-one would have known any better. Yet the Scottish Government wonder why people are losing the will to comply with their bizarre restrictions. :wacko:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It's all gone a bit barmy now, and probably best suited to the politics board, BUT.... Tens of thousands of ticketless Scottish football supporters invade central London for 2 days of "partying" at close quarters then travel back to Scotland. Apparently that's ok.. A couple of weeks previously, a cruise ship with a restricted passenger load was banned from docking at Greenock because of the covid risk. The passengers had all originated in Southampton, all had been double vaccinated, and all tested negative for covid. Had they travelled up by bus, car, train etc. no-one would have known any better. Yet the Scottish Government wonder why people are losing the will to comply with their bizarre restrictions. :wacko:
Yes it is suited to the other thread, the number of folk at my work I’m now hearing about who were directly and indirectly involved in last Fridays shenanigans is scary !! Covid central !

Slick

Guru
At least 2 brought it back up the road with them and now 10 people from my work are self isolating. :eek:

Top Bottom