Welcome in the Scottish Highlands & Islands ? Or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
They almost certainly are. There are 32 houses in this estate and 2 of them were on that road 2 weeks ago in camper Van's with the family.

I honestly don't blame them, but unfortunately it does need controlled, which obviously spoils it for the hardy perennial wild campers. Although to be fair, they are not normally found at the road side.
Yes this isn’t wild camping in its responsible ‘valuing the wilderness’ sense, this is roadside camping by those who don’t care. And worse, some of them will no doubt be carrying Covid.

Slick

Guru
Yes this isn’t wild camping in its responsible ‘valuing the wilderness’ sense, this is roadside camping by those who don’t care. And worse, some of them will no doubt be carrying Covid.
Yeah, it's always been an issue in a number of places long before lockdown, and now it's obviously worse. I don't blame people for wanting out, maybe we need to think about how we deal with people better and give them more opportunities to do it responsibly.

SSS, is OK if a bit gloopy, but 'Smidge' is better for midge repelling - and free of nasty chemicals..

Still I'll bet you've got silky smooth calves all the same :rolleyes:
If you are ever short of something to do grow some nepeta cataria, Catnip. It grows very well, too well and the leaves and flowers have trichomes containing Nepetalactone amongst other volatile oils and terpines.
An old Prestige type pressure cooker with the central outlet makes a good cooker for steam distillation. The rest is a few metres of 8 or 10 millimetre copper microbore (a plumber friend is useful) and a 25L plastic drum along with a freezer full of ice cubes to pitch into the drum. Oh an LPG gas ring, you do not want to do this in your house unless you want it stinking of weed for a few days. The oil will separate from the water condensate which itself is a hydrosol and has some efficacy.
The stuff works and is extremely effective, as good as DEET I believe but the effect is short lived at about 1 hour I think. I spray an ethanol dilution on my straw hat and that lasts for hours as I can load plenty on there.
The smell is not disagreeable, I personally am not keen but others who have used my brew say its a pleasant smell, too me it smells like strong weed.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
A work colleague from Inverness has just told me about a couple who drove up from down South in the motorhome. One of them wasnt feeling good, wee bit of temp but they carried on anyway. By the time they got up near Inverness, the other started feeling terrible, high temp as well. They had to stop and call for help. Both taken to Raigmore and Covid positive .............. :eek:....

Can`t help stupid people really.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A work colleague from Inverness has just told me about a couple who drove up from down South in the motorhome. One of them wasnt feeling good, wee bit of temp but they carried on anyway. By the time they got up near Inverness, the other started feeling terrible, high temp as well. They had to stop and call for help. Both taken to Raigmore and Covid positive .............. :eek:....

Perhaps they just wanted to check their eyesight...

Slick

Guru

I'm just back from Inverness. There are also stories about a primary school teacher not feeling great but deciding to carry on with her plans for a night out before testing positive the following morning. :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member
As long as you all respect the countryside, dont make a mess and TAKE ALL YOUR RUBBISH HOME. Some visitors have just abandoned their tents, sleeping bags etc . Remember when out and about there may not be any public toilets open.
That last part in no way excuses the rubbish left behind.

Similar problems on NT sites and elsewhere down here.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
One Highland council has stationed trowels at most of its lay-bys for the use of tourists in need of a toilet. This has generated quite a lot of comment in the Scotsman, including the obvious question of why doesn’t said council open it’s public toilets. I also liked the comment that they could also station some bricks and mortar with the trowels so while the tourists are doing their business they could add a few bricks at a time and by the end of the summer a toilet building would have been built.
But seriously, I’m appalled to think of what state the immediate vicinity of said lay-bys is going to be in after a few weeks of tourist toiletting.

snorri

Legendary Member
One Highland council has stationed trowels at most of its lay-bys for the use of tourists in need of a toilet. This has generated quite a lot of comment in the Scotsman, including the obvious question of why doesn’t said council open it’s public toilets.
Perhaps because the said council has no public toilets?
Also, the public toilet in the area is listed as being already open.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Telegraph’s take,
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ghlands-overwhelmed-rush-staycation-tourists/
They highlight not just the closed public toilets but also the lack of facilities for campervans to dispose of their toilet waste, there are complaints that some are disposing on roadside verges and ditches.
They also note the way that some campervan drivers are pitching up outside peoples houses :sad:
Our experience of motoroming in Scotland and the Western Isles is that there are a good number of emptying facilities available (some cost £3 to use) unlike the rest of the UK.
Also many campsites will allow for a small fee as well if you are not staying there.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Telegraph’s take,
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ghlands-overwhelmed-rush-staycation-tourists/
They highlight not just the closed public toilets but also the lack of facilities for campervans to dispose of their toilet waste, there are complaints that some are disposing on roadside verges and ditches.
They also note the way that some campervan drivers are pitching up outside peoples houses :sad:
There are facilities in many places to dispose of chemical toilet contents but they will not pay even tho' the facility has costs like water rates etc to pay.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our experience of motoroming in Scotland and the Western Isles is that there are a good number of emptying facilities available (some cost £3 to use) unlike the rest of the UK.
Also many campsites will allow for a small fee as well if you are not staying there.
I do not have the book handy but the caravan and camping club charge more than £3 and I am no longer a member of the caravan and motorhome club so cannot comment there.

Globalti

Legendary Member
From what I've seen after living in the Trossachs for almost three months locals have been so disgusted at the behaviour of louts who would normally be on the Costas that they've forgotten their earlier fears.

Top Bottom