Well first 2 days commuting hmmm! interesting return to cycling .WARNING RANT AHEAD!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hifinut

I have only been commuting for 2 days and already nearly killed by a car overtaking a car coming towards me!(luckily just got out the way). Bloody unreal , i'm lit up like a christmas tree wearing bright green and yellow and in daylight .SOUNDS EXTREME but as 1 mate said just carry a house brick with me !!!:banghead: .It was a boy racer :headshake:...... .On a positive i have to give wagon drivers a thanks as they are far more considerate than cars .Hats off to them :thanks:.We should always acknowledge when people wait to get past us ,i think a friendly wave goes a long way :smile::thumbsup:
On another point, is it me or are the sides of a lot of roads really badly finished .It appears that they didn't bother when they resurfaced them ! :unsure:
Anyway winge over ,hasn't stopped me cycling but certainly made me a lot more wary .:crazy:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Put it down to experience and carry on as normal, we have all come across donuts like that on the roads but it is all part and parcel of cycling. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but it is worth investing in a helmet or handlebar mounted camera to record data in the event anything should happen (i hope it never does) but at least if you have footage of an incident that you can show your insurer or solicitor you will be covered.
regards the roads, ride a bit further out into the carriageway, 18 inches + is good, if you ride in the gutter you run the risk of picking up debris in your tyres as well as pinch punctures when you crash through a pothole.

RedRider

Pulling through
I think we can all go months without an incident then have 4 on one day! Hopeflly this is your dose out the way.

If it happens consistently, maybe then its time ti re-evaluate your riding style - friendly advice and in no way an accusation! :smile:
Spot on that. Also worth remembering how safe cycling is despite the perceptions. There are some utter gets around tho.. Be assertive and don't let them get you down.

6/10. Not even the best rant on cc today ☺

+1 on looking at your own behaviour. I was in 2 similar collisions ; neither my fault, but I could modify my behaviour so it didn't happen a third time.

It's taken me 17 years to mostly call trucks "lorries", I have no idea what a wagon is in this context.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
6/10. Not even the best rant on cc today ☺

+1 on looking at your own behaviour. I was in 2 similar collisions ; neither my fault, but I could modify my behaviour so it didn't happen a third time.

It's taken me 17 years to mostly call trucks "lorries", I have no idea what a wagon is in this context.
A 'Wagon' is just another name for a truck.

OP
OP
hifinut

hifinut

I hear you all but i must say i don't ride in the gutter was about 2 foot /18 inches out just seems the road i am travelling on is dire ,most of the back roads are better !! I couldn't have ridden any better the car just pulled out overtaking an oncoming car, coming straight at me ,Luckily i moved out the way in a split second so still here to tell the tale^_^. Old farts !yeah it does worry me when i see a flat cap been worn in a car :laugh:

Top Bottom