Well I feel a right fat cow.... thanks Gore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Corinne Dennis. Cannot recommend them highly enough. You can call up, and speak to Corrine, give them your measurements, and she will advise.

(and, no, Waffly, this is not cross-dressing. My girl doesn't like going in to cycling shops and trying stuff on)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
snapper_37 said:
Aparrantly, an XL is a 12 - 14!!! What is a S then, 8 - 10 (yrs old?)

I think its ridiculous that XL is 12-14... I mean what sort of statement is that sending to females... I mean its not even what the average female is in this country (isn't it 16? not too sure on that). There is a definite gap in the market to design cycle clothing for the non-bean pole. (Not saying it doesn't exist at all but that its not in proportion to the general public).

I think Gore stuff is on the tiny side. I have a vest of theirs in a small, and it is TIGHT (steady boys), mind you I am titchy so it does fit but I have a job getting it on.

Normal (non-cycling) clothes I always have to sew up vest straps and turn up trousers that are made for normal-sized people.

Question: why isn't sports kit (where fit is if anything more important than with ordinary clothes) made in the actual 10, 12, 14 etc sizes, rather than just having small, medium etc??? Seems silly, especially for items like sports bras, not to be made in actual sizes??

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's not just a women thing, it's a cycling thing! I'm a medium in ordinary clothes but an XXXL in cycling clothes from cycling countries. (Italy, Belgium, etc).

Obviously I'm small in any cycling clothes aimed the US market, (Trek, Canondale etc)

wafflycat

dellzeqq said:
Corinne Dennis. Cannot recommend them highly enough. You can call up, and speak to Corrine, give them your measurements, and she will advise.

(and, no, Waffly, this is not cross-dressing. My girl doesn't like going in to cycling shops and trying stuff on)

Yeah, right.. like it's Mrs Delzeqq ordering the Corinne Dennis stuff.. This is the 21st century, and I don't judge you :rolleyes:

I've never bought any CD stuff as the stuff of hers I've seen at Mildenhall (where she has a stand) is all a bit, well, bland & boring. Sorry. Mind you, I am a woman who wears so much bright colours (especially yellow) when cycling, I look like monsterous genetically modified bumble bee, that when cycling at night is lit up like a low-flying UFO.. not exactly reserved...:laugh:

wafflycat

summerdays said:
I think its ridiculous that XL is 12-14... I mean what sort of statement is that sending to females... I mean its not even what the average female is in this country (isn't it 16? not too sure on that). There is a definite gap in the market to design cycle clothing for the non-bean pole. (Not saying it doesn't exist at all but that its not in proportion to the general public).

You're absolutely correct. And we slag off folk who don't exercise, who are overweight... yet it's bloddy difficult if not impossible to get the right-sized kit to help make exercise comfortable and enjoyable to encourage folk to start cycling & then carry on.

top bollocks

ahem...anyway, IMO Gore sizing has gone tits up, if you'll pardon the pun. They always used to fit me perfectly and I've not changed size in 10 years!

A couple of years ago I bought a Gore ladies goretex waterproof, in a medium. I'm a size 12 with bigger-than-average boobs and muscular shoulders. It fits perfectly - nice and snug, with room for a couple of layers underneath.

In fact, this is a picture of me in my nice Gore jacket. I'm a bit cold, even though I have 4 layers on under it! But you see what I mean about the fit. http://michael-wright.fotopic.net/p49923174.html

Last summer I bought some Gore goretex overtrousers over the internet thinking 'these will be great because Gore always fits me perfectly.' They were a size 12 too. So I got them, and, first of all they're really low cut and so pull across the front, which is v uncomfortable when cycling - they're overtrousers not fashionable pants! Then they're really tight around the arse, and the legs are about 4 inches too long. They were made for someone who is more like a size 10 with 34" inseam (so Buggi, they'd fit you fine!). Every single pair of trousers I own is a size 12, and I've not had a problem with Gore until the last 12 months.

I use the trousers for walking in now, and they're fine for that, but they simply don't work as cycling overtrousers because of the fit.

Snapper_37, it's not you!

GrahamG

Guru
That's bad but I think the worst is for women with larger bum/legs but still quite short - it's taken ages for the other half to find tights that are stretchy enough!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
in Gore's defemce the two tops I've got have worn and washed very well. But, then again (Waffly please note) they are gentleman's tops.

U

User482

If it's any consolation, this particular Gore

<-----------------------------
...doesn't think you're a fat cow

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, anything from Italy, we are all rather fat, anything from the US we are all rather thin........

The problem is internet buying kit - most of my LBS's don't stock a load of clothes so you are gambling a bit anyway. The only road top's I've bought recently are Spesh, as I tried one in EBC and bought it, then bought a l/s one some months later (PS both in the sales)....

Each manufacturer varies loads, and then even batches can be different.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
wafflycat said:
I've never bought any CD stuff as the stuff of hers I've seen at Mildenhall (where she has a stand) is all a bit, well, bland & boring.

+ 1, never liked the look of her stuff.

Kirstie - I know what you mean about it seems the sizing has gone all mad. Like I said, got a lovely top which fits fine, and is *supposed* to be the same size.

I think I will write a letter to Gore and ask and how they perceive the average british female cyclist (non-pro of course) lol.

Fiona N

Veteran
This thread is making me feel thinner by the moment as I've always gone to Gore stuff as first port of call for cycle gear as I'm a very curvy size 14 (what the fabulous Bravissimo website calls super curvy). I love the fact that their jackets actually fit into my waist as opposed to falling like a tent between boobs and bum :biggrin: Other makes seem to think a size 14 or 16 is just a fatter cylinder than a size 6.
I bought a nice fitting Gore (Sportive) waterproof last summer and it's an L so they can't be that far out as I've not suddenly shrunk. The Xenon jacket I have is an XL as the L felt a bit too much like a second skin and I have to be able to fit the Saturday Guardian down the front on the way back from a ride :blush:
So I reckon a lot depends on what you want - I could never get four layers under a cycling jacket - that's what the fat's for - and even on the coldest days rarely use more than a single base layer (Helly Hansen merino-mix stuff is lovely) ;) But I notice that a lot of the clothing I have for other sports - particularly mountaineering - is cut much roomier for the same size. So maybe I'm just used to pretty close filling cycle gear.

And some bra makers are really getting the message that well-endowed women are taking to high impact sports as well as gently perambulations and making superb sports bras in cup sizes up towards the middle of the alphabet - never has modern technology been better employed :biggrin:

Top Bottom