Well that hurt !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Those so-called anti-slip surfaces are dangerous even to pedestrians. :angry: We have them down under too, and they're bloody stupid.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
They aren't for anti-slip, but so that the hard of seeing know when they've arrived at a crossing (crossways) or are straying onto a cycle track (longways).
Since the orientations have been standardised and all the blind or partially sighted have learnt what to feel for, thechances of a change are zero. The best you can hope for is to get planners to limit the tramline slabs to short lengths, so you get off them before your balance has gone completely.

vickster

Legendary Member
You could report on fix my street or whatever it's called

I got poleaxed by an almost invisible ridge between cycle path and the path needed to exit a park a few weeks ago. Moving to avoid a stopped jogger. Monster bruise on lower leg which given my haematoma history gave me the heebie jeebies and got checked by GP

Need to go back and photograph at some point to report as it's clearly dangerous!

Reactions: mjr

alicat

Legendary Member
Ouch! Get yourself checked out pronto.

MInor injuries units are very good. I had six trips to mine after I skidded on gravel a month ago doing a stuntwoman impression after dodging an oncoming Transit van. Lucky only soft tissue damage to my elbow.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
[QUOTE 4995063, member: 9609"]was it the tram-line affect that brought you down ?
what width tyres were you on[/QUOTE]
Not sure really , one minute i was pootling along and the next i was on the floor . On 22mm ultremo tubs as my training wheels are getting serviced so its not like i had crappy tyres on . The ground wasn't wet either so i must have been just stuck in that rut .

vickster

Legendary Member
What have the medics said?

Stick ice on the elbow in the meantime

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They aren't for anti-slip, but so that the hard of seeing know when they've arrived at a crossing (crossways) or are straying onto a cycle track (longways).
Since the orientations have been standardised and all the blind or partially sighted have learnt what to feel for, thechances of a change are zero. The best you can hope for is to get planners to limit the tramline slabs to short lengths, so you get off them before your balance has gone completely.
Those ones are not tramlines, which are flat-topped. Those are round-topped corduroy and they're not even laid according to the standard anyway, because it should be only a single line of tiles where the steps require a turn to encounter them and a "key design principle" is that they should be in a contrasting colour to help visually-impaired people more - but that would also help cyclists stand more chance of seeing them early and avoiding the evil skid hazards. Report the substandard hazardous crap on www.fixmystreet.com please, so the council can't say they weren't told when their next victim tries to claim damages.

Top Bottom