Well that's me off my bike for a while

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just seen the 2nd consultant who has agreed to do a more extensive decompression and spinal fusion. He's going to do it from the back rather than the front because it apparently gives more chance of them operating successfully if I every have problems with L4-L5 which there is a chance of even thought the disc looks fine. His experience is that this disc L5-S1 probably went because of a minor deformity at the base of the spine meaning it probably never formed correctly in the first place. The shape of the next disc up is apparently the clue (it's more of a wedge shape than it should be even though it looks fine). He says there is a 60% chance of improvement in my condition which is enough of a chance for me to take the surgery and hope! He going to restore the gap between the vertebrae, fuse the spine and do another decompression, this time more extensively. There's little chance that the paralysis will improve but we never know. It's the pain in the spine that's the biggest issue. Also the spine will be fused in a non-neutral position to help alleviate the pain and I get the same anaesthetist as last time which I'm happy about. So pre-op next week and the op on the 11th May.

Fingers crossed.

He is clearly more experienced than my other consultant and has that senior consultant feel to him which is reassuring. We had a good long chat and he even speed about my wrist issues and the complications around them plus who operated on them. He knew the consultant and professor that I was under for them and knew that I had ended up there due to issues similar to this. I'm a patient that falls outside of the norms! Yep that's me alright! Anyhow I'm feeling much more hopeful and positive having spoken with him though it was fun explaining why I don't have a job! Re the quitting my job to go off and cycle around the world bit!

looks like you will be going in as im coming out , i go in on 4th may and been told to expect 5 or six nights stay , two discs removed , facetectomy and fusion , getting more than a little nervous now.

good luck with your op

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
looks like you will be going in as im coming out , i go in on 4th may and been told to expect 5 or six nights stay , two discs removed , facetectomy and fusion , getting more than a little nervous now.

good luck with your op
Thank you and good luck with yours. Are you going into Wrightington?

I looked mine up and decided the less I know about it the better! Bupa rang us earlier to confirm the max they would pay for the anaesthetist and it is significantly more than for the first op... which gives me an idea on how long I am likely to be under the knife! They are hoping for a 4 or 5 night stay for me...

Best wishes and try not to think about it too much! I have found that to be the best policy over the years...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was wondering the same...

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
The op went really well thank you. I was only on theatre for 4 hours and soon back on the ward. I have recovered far better than expected by anyone and have been cleared by physio and my consultant to come home today, 2 days earlier than expected. The PCA came and catheter came out a day earlier than usual and I have walked with crutches sooner than expected.

I've been back on the level of pain meds I was on before the op for a couple of days now and my consultant has made it clear he wants me to continue taking the pain meds rather than not exercising. I can try cycling again in 3-4 weeks time. I see him again in 6 weeks. I would see physio at the hospital if I had any way of getting to them... So they have left me with instructions which is basically to carry on with what I am doing.

I'm also taller and not just taller in the 'I now have the disc height back' but also in a my pelvis and spine never held this position before.

The only downside is that I have a chest infection, but we were expecting that. I had a rattle before they operated but was completely symptom free. I'm still symptom free in that there is no temperature or anything like that, but my chest is no longer clear so cultures are being done.

However it won't stop me going home today.
So currently all positive.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The op went really well thank you. I was only on theatre for 4 hours and son back on the ward. I have recovered far better than expected by anyone and have been cleared by physio and my consultant to come home today, 2 days earlier than expected. The PCA came and catheter came out a day earlier than usual and I have walled with crutches sooner than expected.

I've been back on the level of pain meds I was on before the op for a couple of days now and my consultant has made it clear he wants me to continue taking the pain meds rather than not exercising. I can try cycling again in 3-4 weeks time. I see him again in 6 weeks. I would see physio at the hospital if I had any way of getting to them... Do they have left me with instructions which is basically to carry on with what I am doing.

I'm also taller and not just taller in the 'I now have the disc height back' but also in a my pelvis and spine never held this position before.

The only downside is that I have a chest infection, but we were expecting that. I had a rattle before they operated but was completely symptom free. I'm still symptom free in that there is no temperature or anything like that, but my chest is no longer clear so cultures are being done.

However it won't stop me going home today.
So currently all positive.
Great news, GWS have a virtual flower :rose:for your jug.

Top Bottom