Well that's me off my bike for a while

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Really good news that you seen to be recovering better than expected from this op, I suspect it's the pig-headed attitude you've taken to not being beaten by this and that you have persevered on the trike. Good luck for the next few days/weeks and here's to hoping the recovery continues.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm glad to hear you're recovering so well and I hope that good progress continues.:thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done SNSSO. Looks like progress. If one leg's stronger than the other you'll have to take up haggis chasing (..around hills.....).

The partial paralysis and weakness in one leg is what I ended up with after my cervical decompressions - mine has partly worn off now. Never did get around to haggis chasing, can't stand the stuff.
She'll need a net and a stick though. How is SSNSO going to be able to poke at the haggis and catch it in a net if she needs both hands for crutches. You've not thought this through @andytheflyer ^_^
Unless of course SSNSO invents the duel use crutch/net.

gavgav

Guru
The op went really well thank you. I was only on theatre for 4 hours and soon back on the ward. I have recovered far better than expected by anyone and have been cleared by physio and my consultant to come home today, 2 days earlier than expected. The PCA came and catheter came out a day earlier than usual and I have walked with crutches sooner than expected.

I've been back on the level of pain meds I was on before the op for a couple of days now and my consultant has made it clear he wants me to continue taking the pain meds rather than not exercising. I can try cycling again in 3-4 weeks time. I see him again in 6 weeks. I would see physio at the hospital if I had any way of getting to them... So they have left me with instructions which is basically to carry on with what I am doing.

I'm also taller and not just taller in the 'I now have the disc height back' but also in a my pelvis and spine never held this position before.

The only downside is that I have a chest infection, but we were expecting that. I had a rattle before they operated but was completely symptom free. I'm still symptom free in that there is no temperature or anything like that, but my chest is no longer clear so cultures are being done.

However it won't stop me going home today.
So currently all positive.
Great to hear!! Hope to see you on the bike soon.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
26 stitches removed this morning, feels loads better , doesnt feel all tight now , next to eliminate this damn leg pain ^_^
It is always good to get stitches out. Glad it feels much better.
Have you asked to change your pain meds from gabapentin to pregabalin? It worked exceptionally well for me. My GP had me on gabapentin initially because it is a lot cheaper for the NHS (pennies for a 100 tablets) whereas pregabalin is the more modern drug and costs much more for the NHS, but has fewer side effects and works better. Luckily for me, my consultant changed me over to pregabalin in the very early days.
I had my husband look at my dressing and the padded area is no more than 3 or 4 inches by 1 inch wide!
And my walk this morning made me feel much better as well.

Now just to shift this darn chest infection I have in both lungs. I sound like a set of old faulty bag pipes at the moment. The hospital took some samples to grow cultures so they can prescribe the right antibiotics. In the mean time I am still coughing up loads and using my saline nebuliser twice a day to help loosen it up.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
to be honest i have no problem with gabapentin, its the amitriptyline that buggers me up, hope they get the chest infection sorted soon:okay:
Thanks

I found the pregabalin worked better at controlling the leg pain and you mentioned that it was an issue. And yes, amitriptyline is a bugger isn't it. I have managed to stay off it thankfully with the use of pregabalin and an acknowledgement I was depressed but didn't want medication for it.

Here's the obligatory stitches pic
IMG-20150515-WA0000.jpg
9 one side 16 on the other

arrghh cant turn photo round

Last edited:
Top Bottom