Well that's me off my bike for a while

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
not wrightington,i was seen at wrightington a couple of years ago, saw a dr grennan , found him to be an arrogant prick, more or less told me their was nothing wrong and i was trying it on, refused mri etc, im going into whiston under the care of neurosurgeon mr martin wilby
http://www.thewaltoncentre.nhs.uk/Consultant/88/mr-m-wilby.html
Just say what you mean, don't worry. Unless Pale Rider's right, he'll not see it!

Not Registered - Having relinquished registration

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just say what you mean, don't worry. Unless Pale Rider's right, he'll not see it!

Not Registered - Having relinquished registration

I like to think I am always right, but in this case I don't know what I'm supposed to be right about.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
About the consultant posting on here.

Ooo, did I say that?

Not worth trawling through 50 pages to find it, but I may have urged caution about slagging off a named individual.

The professions - doctors, teachers, police officers - are notoriously litigious about things like that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ah, got it now.

The previous poster mentioned 'arrogant prick'.

My response was an attempt at satire - as in lots of arrogant pricks post on here.

Never mind, I think the moment's passed.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I thought I might update you all...

I have been quiet because I have been ill.

I had a rattle on my chest before the op, just the hints of it... nothing major and it wasn't affecting me in the slightest. I didn't have a temperature, I wasn't ill, I wasn't out of sorts, all my bloods were fine, my cortisol levels were fine etc. The anaesthetist was happy to go ahead with the op, as was my consultant obviously.

About 10 days after the op, I went downhill and by the Tuesday was really bad. My GP came out to me and was within an inch of finding me a hospital bed. The only thing that kept me out of hospital was that my O2 stats were OK, not great, but OK. If they had been any lower it would have been hospital. I was put on antibiotics but it was clear by the Friday that they were not doing anything, so I had another home visit from my GP. I was even closer to being admitted in to hospital. Again it was my O2 stats that kept me home, but this time it was discussed in detail about me being taken into hospital. I was also having issues with my asthma and my GP could hear in it my lungs. Not good as both lungs in their entirety had succumbed to the infection by now. My GP told me it was one of the worst chest infections she had seen in a long time! I officially had a double lung infection, a separate throat infection, a virus (causing the cough and cold) and on top of that I had laryngitis as well. My antibiotics were changed, I was put on to a very high dose of steroids, and also onto some antifungal tablets as well. And told to take it easy. I was also given very clear instructions to ring them for help if I got any worse!

I did get worse, because when my GP spoke to my endocrinologist to check with the steroid dose and what to do with my other steroids, she was told by him to take me off my normal steroids and use the very high dose of the others instead... That started a series of hyperglycaemic attacks which have only just ceased - I'm still having to monitor my blood glucose levels. After the 2nd day, I took matters into my own hands and went back onto an emergency dose of my normal steroids which helped and avoided ringing my GP. I really didn't want to be in hospital. I managed to get things under enough control that when my GP came out again this week, she was happy enough with my recovery to leave me at home. She has kept me on my normal steroids which I now have at my usual level, and we are getting me off the others as fast as possible. The antibiotics are now entering their 4th week and I still have a throat infection, but both lungs are now clear of infection which is really good news. I'm also now into my 4th week with out my voice. I don't even have a croak. I can literally only whisper and just. It has not been good.

My OH has been off work with the same thing minus the chest infection, and when he goes back to work it will be 3 weeks off sick, which he has never done in his working life! That is how bad it has been sadly. But I have enjoyed his company at home for the last 3 weeks!

As for the back... Well the spine itself is great. The scar is healing well and overall it is much better and very comfortable. Oddly the skin is very sensitive at the moment and surprisingly sore, as are the muscles over the op site. I'm guessing that some of it is to do with the lack of exercise and loss of muscle tone that I will undoubtable be suffering from. I had hoped to be back out on my trike by now, but illness prevents me. I am hoping to try at the end of next week with the company of my OH. I also restart home physio visits next week as well. It would have been this week but I don't want my physio lady getting what I have had, so I delayed it a week.

It's not a great photo by any means, but this is the size of the scar and it is over the top of the old scar.

Attachments

• DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
yeh - its a bit rough at the moment! Still I am a lot better than I was and I can thank my lucky stars for that.
I haven't seen any improvement with the use of my right leg, but that wasn't what the op was for. The op was to deal with the pain, and it does seem to be a lot more comfortable now that it has ever been. Fingers crossed that some improvement in the leg will happen in the long term but I'm not planning my life around that happening is the best way I can describe it.

Oh - And I can now sit up a touch higher for a few minutes, so the sitting side of life might just be coming back onto the books, but very slowly. But it is improving - that is definite.

Lullabelle

Banana
I thought I might update you all...

I have been quiet because I have been ill.

I had a rattle on my chest before the op, just the hints of it... nothing major and it wasn't affecting me in the slightest. I didn't have a temperature, I wasn't ill, I wasn't out of sorts, all my bloods were fine, my cortisol levels were fine etc. The anaesthetist was happy to go ahead with the op, as was my consultant obviously.

About 10 days after the op, I went downhill and by the Tuesday was really bad. My GP came out to me and was within an inch of finding me a hospital bed. The only thing that kept me out of hospital was that my O2 stats were OK, not great, but OK. If they had been any lower it would have been hospital. I was put on antibiotics but it was clear by the Friday that they were not doing anything, so I had another home visit from my GP. I was even closer to being admitted in to hospital. Again it was my O2 stats that kept me home, but this time it was discussed in detail about me being taken into hospital. I was also having issues with my asthma and my GP could hear in it my lungs. Not good as both lungs in their entirety had succumbed to the infection by now. My GP told me it was one of the worst chest infections she had seen in a long time! I officially had a double lung infection, a separate throat infection, a virus (causing the cough and cold) and on top of that I had laryngitis as well. My antibiotics were changed, I was put on to a very high dose of steroids, and also onto some antifungal tablets as well. And told to take it easy. I was also given very clear instructions to ring them for help if I got any worse!

I did get worse, because when my GP spoke to my endocrinologist to check with the steroid dose and what to do with my other steroids, she was told by him to take me off my normal steroids and use the very high dose of the others instead... That started a series of hyperglycaemic attacks which have only just ceased - I'm still having to monitor my blood glucose levels. After the 2nd day, I took matters into my own hands and went back onto an emergency dose of my normal steroids which helped and avoided ringing my GP. I really didn't want to be in hospital. I managed to get things under enough control that when my GP came out again this week, she was happy enough with my recovery to leave me at home. She has kept me on my normal steroids which I now have at my usual level, and we are getting me off the others as fast as possible. The antibiotics are now entering their 4th week and I still have a throat infection, but both lungs are now clear of infection which is really good news. I'm also now into my 4th week with out my voice. I don't even have a croak. I can literally only whisper and just. It has not been good.

My OH has been off work with the same thing minus the chest infection, and when he goes back to work it will be 3 weeks off sick, which he has never done in his working life! That is how bad it has been sadly. But I have enjoyed his company at home for the last 3 weeks!

As for the back... Well the spine itself is great. The scar is healing well and overall it is much better and very comfortable. Oddly the skin is very sensitive at the moment and surprisingly sore, as are the muscles over the op site. I'm guessing that some of it is to do with the lack of exercise and loss of muscle tone that I will undoubtable be suffering from. I had hoped to be back out on my trike by now, but illness prevents me. I am hoping to try at the end of next week with the company of my OH. I also restart home physio visits next week as well. It would have been this week but I don't want my physio lady getting what I have had, so I delayed it a week.

It's not a great photo by any means, but this is the size of the scar and it is over the top of the old scar.

Jeez Satnav, you have seriously gone through the mill, :hugs: all the best to you and Mr Satnav, get well soon

Top Bottom