Well this is controversial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I don't have a CF bike at the moment, I sold a couple last year not out of any concerns for the material, but just to thin down the collection and these were the easiest to sell, I still have two frames made of Ti, this is also a no no for some, I also have two steel and one aluminium, both steel are 30+ years old,

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Dude doesn’t seem to have heard of ‘mountain bikes’.
Exactly, this rider wished he hadn't too.

Screenshot_20240131-075235.png

Ha ha! Good move.

I haven't read that article, but I've already seen a trillion comments on the "Socials" , which completely match this thread's comments.

BUT I have one thing to add; doesn't ANYONE in these discussions realise the stuff is also near impossible to recycle? Is this America in the '50s??

biketrailerguy

<< BUT I have one thing to add; doesn't ANYONE in these discussions realise the stuff is also near impossible to recycle? >>

However, it's not impossible to reuse / repurpose in situations where its properties are 'just the job'. I've always been extremely happy to find such items in scrap bins - or gratefully accept from bike shop techs when offered a cf goodie and asked - ' 'this any good, mate' - especially front forks.

On a side note, as someone who regularly waved camera gear in the general direction of waterfowl, it was great when cf was used for tripods and 'pros / fashionistas' started dumping their old bullet proof alu based kit ... for less £.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
<sits back to await triggered CF owners exhibiting confirmation bias>

Sit on a train and you'll see bikes falling over.
Go to a cycling event and you'll see bikes being dropped, being crashed, or being bundled into vans and cars.
Bike's need the ability to handle such treatment, and whilst I'm confident that CF would be fine 99% of the time, I think other materials would cope better; and an illustration of this is my mate's TCR being totalled by an inoccuous bump from behind by another bike on a club run as they slowed for the cafe. Ping - broken seat stay, bike couldn't be fixed.

But all frame materials and good and bad points, so there's nothing contoversial in that article, as long as it's not viewed in isolation.
When choosing a bike you have to pick what best meets your requirements, and understand and accept your choice is a compromise. Celebrate that compromise, because it gives us N+1.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ride what you like. I have two Ti and two steel frames (plus another rather fine vintage one). All custom -made for me, which you don't generally get with carbon. And it's amazing how light a skilled builder can make a steel frame.
bluehallett.JPG

Top Bottom