Well this is controversial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Well worth a read. One of my favourite cycling books - a touching level of nerdy, without being completely OTT.

I have just acquired this, written by Richard - who built two of my bikes including the one shown earlier.
IMG_20240118_100259621_HDR.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I must admit I was somewhat wary of CF for all the reasons that are regularly stated, particularly the supposed propensity for sudden rather than gradual failure. My otherwise traditional steel fixie came with a CF fork which is surely the most critical component of all. Now I'm used to it, I'd not worry about a whole bike of CF if it was otherwise suitable - and I think maybe only Hewitt do a sensible drop-handler light tourer / audax stylee bike with pannier rack and mudguards.

Apparently it's possible to engineer in whatever stiffness / springiness (even in different directions for the same part) with carbon, so there's a lot going for it quite apart from weight. Critical parts should be made very strong indeed, so there really shouldn't be an issue for a properly made bike. I'd maybe be less happy for a no-name import frame, though you can't really be sure a proper brand is sourcing them properly.

A tig welded steel, titanium or ali bike could well have poor welds, even if they look OK. Welding thin tubes is a tricky job. My 10 evening classes mig welding 3mm mild steel showed it's not trivial using a more forgiving process on the easier to weld thicker material

I'm guessing it'd be be harder to do a bad braze (that still looked OK), unless you'd deliberately hidden a too short tube

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Read that a while ago; lots of entirely valid points IMO and aligns very much with my own thoughts.

But they make jet aircraft out of it so checkmate ^_^
Indeed.. aircraft that are subject to far, far greater R&D budgets than consumer sporting goods. Aircraft that are subject to far higher levels of quality control during manufacture, and ongoing, rigerous testing and inspection regimes.

Nah, what the author is saying, or doing rather, is panicking because they've been asked to write something with a tight deadline to improve page impressions on the site.
I don't think that's fair - just because it doesn't fall neatly into the perception constantly up-sold to us by manufacturers, doesn't make it the intentional, baseless, sensational clickbait you seem to be suggesting.

A tig welded steel, titanium or ali bike could well have poor welds, even if they look OK. Welding thin tubes is a tricky job. My 10 evening classes mig welding 3mm mild steel showed it's not trivial using a more forgiving process on the easier to weld thicker material
Poor welds are a lot easier to spot however ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Meh. On balance he's probably right a bit more often than he's wrong, but he's just opinionated and neither right nor wrong a lot of the time. It's not new or interesting.

And he doesn't raise the point that @matticus mentioned, which is pretty important - that CF is not recyclable.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Airborne,Van Nic bikes 18 and 17 years old ..Light and strong and the other plus points no paint to scatch and no rust. Now tell me the plus points of the rust buckets 😂
Back them everyone said if going custom its got to be steel how wrong they were.
Now this
Only buy Carbon if it's been built correctly in a factory with excellent quality control.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Airborne,Van Nic bikes 18 and 17 years old ..Light and strong and the other plus points no paint to scatch and no rust. Now tell me the plus points of the rust buckets 😂
Back them everyone said if going custom its got to be steel how wrong they were.
Now this
Only buy Carbon if it's been built correctly in a factory with excellent quality control.

Snappy, oops sorry, cracky titanium ! Youngsters at 17 and 18. My 3 rust buckets are about 30-34 years old !

Mr Celine

Discordian
And if you’re one of those people who worries about steel bikes and rust, you can relax, because in order for rust to destroy your bike you’d pretty much have to store it at the bottom of the sea.

The only thing I've gleaned from that bit of click bait is that the author has never ridden his bike on Scottish winter roads.

notmyrealnamebutclose

I think what the author is saying is that CF is a completely unnecessary and even a poor choice for a non professional rider given the rigours it will face. Of course people will still buy because they regard it as 'top flight' equipment and it's what the pros use just as motorists will buy race derived motors.

I drive a modus and my bike is a pile of junk alloy :whistle:

I have two steel bikes, a rust free, 34 year old steel road bike that didn't see much rain. The second is a Brompton that started rusting at about 6 months, a few bolts even earlier! I don't think either are a good example of steel is real argument. My aluminium with cf fork is about 10 years old and doing well despite a few bits of damage to it

I think if you buy a good bike in any suitable materials should be good enough. CF isn't that hard to design in, it's not the case that a bike firm and manufacturers needing design budget of a plane. There's software that makes it a relatively easy to design the CF layup once you have the 3D model for the bike. It's all about the fibre direction in the layers I believe. The characteristics of CF has been well tested and understood.

When I studied it something like 30 years ago it was at least. Then again the bigger or more complex bthe CF part is then the actual layup to design is harder. It was 35 years or so ago mi saw a full delta wing in CF for a euro fighter prototype that had too many faults to make it into a plane. It was huge and very complex much more so than a bike frame or forks.

Too much bias all round I reckon on this topic.

D

Deleted member 121159

My reason for sticking with metals is that 'carbon' is a shorthand for carbon fibre reinforced plastic. In other words, once you're done with it, it's plastic crap like any other plastic crap. I don't want to be a consumer of yet another form of plastic crap. There's enough plastic crap in my life.

What I'd love to see is more premium aluminium frames, like Nicolai for example.

Top Bottom