Well this is controversial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But all frame materials and good and bad points, so there's nothing contoversial in that article, as long as it's not viewed in isolation.
When choosing a bike you have to pick what best meets your requirements, and understand and accept your choice is a compromise. Celebrate that compromise, because it gives us N+1.
I think what the author is saying is that CF is a completely unnecessary and even a poor choice for a non professional rider given the rigours it will face. Of course people will still buy because they regard it as 'top flight' equipment and it's what the pros use just as motorists will buy race derived motors.

Alex321

Veteran
I think what the author is saying is that CF is a completely unnecessary and even a poor choice for a non professional rider given the rigours it will face. Of course people will still buy because they regard it as 'top flight' equipment and it's what the pros use just as motorists will buy race derived motors.

I bought it because it was available at the price point I was lokoing at, with the spec I wanted, and I thought it likely to be better than Alu. There was a Ti bike I would probably have gone for instead, but couldn't find it available in my size anywhere (we are talking August 2021, when availabilty was quite restricted).

I haven't seen any reason to regret my choice, as I find the bike very comfortable to ride while also being as quick as I want.

AndyRM

XOXO

Nah, what the author is saying, or doing rather, is panicking because they've been asked to write something with a tight deadline to improve page impressions on the site.

AndyRM

XOXO
But without 'controversial' articles like this Andy some of us wouldn't be able get all hot and bothered about those who buy carbon bikes :smile:

This is very true.

They clearly aren't shy of courting controversy if the cover on their Wiki page is anything to go by...

Outside_(magazine_cover).jpeg

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
While I don't have any concerns riding a carbon road bike or carbon forks ( even though I have had some shear in a crash) I wouldn't ride a carbon MTB bought with my own money because of the risk of unexpected bashes at difficult angles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom