welsh accents on girls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

It depends which Welsh accent.

I spent the best part of the day today in Swansea. I quite like the accent, but seeing as my mum was born there, I couldn't really not. The Cardiff accent is a bit harsher though.

We have some customers in Wexford, and they (men and women) have an accent to die for :becool: .

Nobody like Ooooaar Gloucestershire accents ? :thumbsdown:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Paulus said:
I think that the southern Irish accent, maybe from the Cork region is wonderful. It melts my heart.

Cork accent? Flippin' 'eck. Despite visiting that wonderful republic twice a year for the last twenty years, I still struggle to understand those lo.......ng drawn out vowels. Having said that, the beautiful soft lilt of a true Dublin accent is incredibly seductive.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Welsh people. What region of Wales is stacey from Gavin and Stacey's accent from? Is that a normal welsh accent?

Abitrary said:
Welsh people. What region of Wales is stacey from Gavin and Stacey's accent from? Is that a normal welsh accent?

Like all sitcom "comedy accents" its a hybrid of the worst of each region for "comedic effect". The actress herself comes from The Mumbles and does not speak like that I can assure you all having met her. It appears, to me at least, to be an in vogue "dumbing down" of regional accents everywhere these days.

LLB

Lardyboy said:
Like all sitcom "comedy accents" its a hybrid of the worst of each region for "comedic effect". The actress herself comes from The Mumbles and does not speak like that I can assure you all having met her. It appears, to me at least, to be an in vogue "dumbing down" of regional accents everywhere these days.

The Mumbles is fairly posh though to be fair.

OT, have you noticed the nationalism getting stronger in Wales ?

When I was growing up and visiting there, many of the kids were given English names in Wales in my generation and that before. I would see the occasional welsh sign but now all the signs are in both languages, and there seems to be a real sense of national pride there with all the youngsters being given proper welsh names. My grandparents generation were called Evelyn, Glyndur, Ceinwyn, Huw, but they named their kids in the 20s and 30s with English names like Jean, June, Dennis & Brian, this generation (living in Wales and married to welsh people) also named their kids English names (Catherine, Nigel, Christopher, Linda, Caroline etc), but the national pride kicked in with this generation and they have since called their own kids (Osian (masculine of Sian), Cerys, Rhys & Lewys), and they all now speak Welsh in the house whereas 30 years ago, it was regarded by many as a second language.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Mumbles, here I come.

linfordlunchbox said:
The Mumbles is fairly posh though to be fair.

OT, have you noticed the nationalism getting stronger in Wales ?

When I was growing up and visiting there, many of the kids were given English names in Wales in my generation and that before. I would see the occasional welsh sign but now all the signs are in both languages, and there seems to be a real sense of national pride there with all the youngsters being given proper welsh names. My grandparents generation were called Evelyn, Glyndur, Ceinwyn, Huw, but they named their kids in the 20s and 30s with English names like Jean, June, Dennis & Brian, this generation (living in Wales and married to welsh people) also named their kids English names (Catherine, Nigel, Christopher, Linda, Caroline etc), but the national pride kicked in with this generation and they have since called their own kids (Osian (masculine of Sian), Cerys, Rhys & Lewys), and they all now speak Welsh in the house whereas 30 years ago, it was regarded by many as a second language.

There has been an increase in the sense of national pride - I hate the term "nationalism" because of it's right wing past. The Welsh language is used increasingly. I can remember hearing Welsh being spoken quite often in places like Cardiff, Swansea, any decent sized town north or south when I was young, 'bout 30 years ago, and then it started to be less common. Then all of a sudden you are hearing it more and more often now.

Of course the Welsh medium schools around me now are almost being treated as a "private education" and are all over subscribed due mainly to class sizes. And being Welsh medium means that pupils can come from wherever within the county. So there is a degree of "snob" value to a Welsh medium education.

Top Bottom