Were you any good at dating as a teenager?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I was having a conversation with my GF while on holiday over the BH weekend regarding our experiences of dating (or trying to) as teenagers, we ended up unable to breathe for laughing!

For my part, I remember when I was 16, there was a girl (Vicky) who had joined the Lower Sixth as my year moved into senior school. I lusted after her for the two years of senior school. Nevertheless I only spoke to her once, on account of an incident that happened in the first term of the first year of the sixth form.

The first time I saw her, I felt instantly in love (as one does, when one is 16), I spent weeks trying to get up the courage to talk to her. I spent countless hours obsessing over her. My spare time was consumed by my plans of what I would say to her. I wrote several drafts of "speeches" to make to her (professing my undying love, of course). I spent a week trying to memorise individual lines, practising in front of the mirror.

The day came when I decided I would do it. I spent two hours selecting the appropriate clothing and getting my hair just right. I was pungent with aftershave and my hair was so thick with gel that a hurricane would not have moved a single hair on my head. My underpants were loaded up with talcum powder and my best and most stylish clothes adorned me. With all the effort I had put into the planning, I could not possibly fail.

I walked to the girl's refectory. There they were through the window, all of them ... and there she was ... :biggrin: ... in the middle of them ... oh my ... ;)

I threw open the door to the girls' refectory ... there I stood, in my teenage finery ... I fixed her with a mesmer stare ... I strode purposefully into the room ... the chatter fell silent as all eyes turned to look at me and all jaws dropped at the sight of me with my bang-on-trend fashion, shiny concrete hair and big white patch on my crotch where the talc was beginning to come through (unbeknownst to me) ...

I marched up to Vicky and sat down beside her. I opened my mouth to deliver my well-rehearsed lines and said .... "I, I, I, I, I, ... errrr... I, I, I, you, I ... oh God ... I mean ... buggery ... and ... do you ... like ... stuff?"

Silence. I looked at my crotch. I saw the talc. I turned beetroot red and whimpered. She accorded me the kind of look one might give to a retard or a mental patient. She coughed, got up and walked away. The room erupted into laughter. I stood up and walked briskly out, followed by clouds of talcum powder.

For the remaining two years I couldn't even look at her ... :biggrin:

So that was it - my very first experience of dating ... crash and burn is an understatement!

What were your teenage experiences of trying to find love?

I really fancied a girl who lived down the road - everyone did.

When my mum died (I was 15) she was a real mate but that was all she ever was.

Last year, after nearly 30 years, she got in touch out of the blue and we've become mates again:biggrin: However, I'm happy being single again and she has been married and divorced twice, so mates again is just fine.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Hilldodger said:
I really fancied a girl who lived down the road - everyone did.

When my mum died (I was 15) she was a real mate but that was all she ever was.

Last year, after nearly 30 years, she got in touch out of the blue and we've become mates again:biggrin: However, I'm happy being single again and she has been married and divorced twice, so mates again is just fine.

Jesus! I can see why you got into the History of Cylcing because you've certainly got no future as a romantic novelist.:biggrin:

A most emphatic no but I fdon't have any comdy stories. I can offer this tale below though...

A former flat mate of mine moved out of a flat he was renting on his own when he was 20 (not quite a teenager) to lodge with a female friend who was a couple of years older and had just split up with her long term boyfriend she had been sharing a house with. He saw it is a chance to move in on her.The rest of us saw it as a chance to embarrass himself and become homeless. Unfortuantely for him we were right and he ended up back at his parents with a big comute to work until he could arrange a new place to rent :biggrin:.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
I wrote somebody some poetry once. It was very bad.

She showed it to everybody, and they all had a good laugh at it.

It was very bad poetry. :biggrin:

darkstar

I'm fairly confident i would be terrible at dating, i'm 21 and have been with the same girl (only one) for years. Known her all my life. So i'd have no clue what I was doing! Quite a scary thought actually...

ASC1951

Guru
When I was a timid student I had a date with the stunning grand-daughter of a world famous composer. Unfortunately we waited for each other at different versions of the same venue and she was so put out at being stood up that I never got another chance - unlike me, she wasn't short of offers. :biggrin:

You always wonder...

postman

Legendary Member
I was rubbish .

At 17 i had never even been kissed .I was long gangly and had a squint .
My football pals ,arranged a blind date .Things were so different then .No mobiles ,texts computers .So it was pot luck .

Well in those days you met at a well known place in town .For us it was to be on the steps of the Queens Hotel .The poshest place in Leeds .This was 1967 .

I was told to be there for 5-30 Sunday afternoon .We were going to the pictures .

I did not want to be late so i got there a bit early 4-15 .

As the Town Hall clock struck off the last chime of 5-30 . Walking towards me was this 'Angel'.That is the only way i could desribe her .

Mini skirt black and white check pattern .,White boots and a Mary Quant haircut .

My jaw dropped .No this is not my date i thought.

She stoped infront of me .

'Are you Brenda ' i stuttered out with a red face ,i was blushing .

'Are you Bob '? came back the reply.

"Yes,yes' i again stuttered .

'i'm not Brenda' she said and walked on .

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dated the lovely Annette for 2 months when I was 14... one morning she didn't turn up, and I sort of let it go... 2 yrs later, we met again by accident (and realised it was me who'd got the wrong time 2 yrs before... :biggrin: )She had ... er... 'grown' a bit (in a way that I thoroughly approved of :angry: ) and we went out again for a bit, before it fizzled out again...
Met her some years later when I went to the bank to sort out my recently deceased father's affairs, and she was the person I dealt with...

After her, I took up with a girl I'd known since primary school days... lasted 2 yrs... living together (not very successfully towards the end) made me realise we were both too young for it... so we went our separate ways, though we still keep in touch (got back in touch through Friends reunited, about 4 yrs ago)...

Top Bottom