West Mercia Police take no action on close pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
West Mercia Police Ref BD18-232

Look out for the white car in the video below (the blue car is left in for comparison) - this was reported in good time to west mercia police - and whilst they contacted the driver they decided to take no further action. Had it happened a few miles down the road I know west midlands police would have prosecuted the driver - It would seem West Mercia Police are soft on close passes

View: https://youtu.be/3_pmV70OZmI

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I find it hard to judge, but I would not call it excessively close by what we are looking at. It may have seemed closer to you on the bike. I can see why they would not take any further action.

I do see some of these that are heart stoppingly close. But this just is not one of them in my opinion.

the snail

Guru
I find it hard to judge, but I would not call it excessively close by what we are looking at. It may have seemed closer to you on the bike. I can see why they would not take any further action.

I do see some of these that are heart stoppingly close. But this just is not one of them in my opinion.
Looks like 1/2 metre gap at most, probably less to me. Way too close, nowhere near highway code standard, or 1.5m guideline. Should be points on license, or a talking to/warning as a minimum. As long as the police share your attitude I suppose we'll have to put up with this lazy crap driving though.

When you say they 'contacted' the driver I assume that means they had a word about the poor standard of driving, I'd be very surprised if any police force did more than that based on the available evidence, I'd be surprised if Hampshire police took any notice at all.

U

User6179

Looks to me the car mirror was at most a foot away, the trouble is because the camera sits in the middle of the bars it always does not look as bad to anyone looking at the film , I have seen similar where the rider is clipped by a wing mirror but it appears on the video like the car is a few feet away.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
When you say they 'contacted' the driver I assume that means they had a word about the poor standard of driving, I'd be very surprised if any police force did more than that based on the available evidence, I'd be surprised if Hampshire police took any notice at all.

Sorry but thats not true. West Midlands pleased have prosecuted 4 drivers that I have submitted footage. the least they get is £145 driver awareness course. Standard is £100 fine and 3pt on license. Passing distances were comparable to the one I have linked above.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru

If you look at the blue car at the start of the clip - compare the distances given as a bit of perspective.

Sorry but thats not true. West Midlands pleased have prosecuted 4 drivers that I have submitted footage. the least they get is £145 driver awareness course. Standard is £100 fine and 3pt on license. Passing distances were comparable to the one I have linked above.
Fair enough, but sadly I reckon West Mids are probably a rare exception to the rule.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Looks like 1/2 metre gap at most, probably less to me. Way too close, nowhere near highway code standard, or 1.5m guideline. Should be points on license, or a talking to/warning as a minimum. As long as the police share your attitude I suppose we'll have to put up with this lazy crap driving though.
Its not an "attitude". Its an opinion. To me it doesnt look too close. I think all close passes should be prosecuted. But Im not going to say I think it looks close just to suit you.

D

Deleted member 1258

That was too close, the blue car at the start of the clip was to the right of the centre line, the driver of the white car barely got the offside wheels across the centre line and was already pulling in to avoid the oncoming car before they finished the pass, it looks like the driver misjudged the overtake slightly.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
That was too close, the blue car at the start of the clip was to the right of the centre line, the driver of the white car barely got the offside wheels across the centre line and was already pulling in to avoid the oncoming car before they finished the pass, it looks like the driver misjudged the overtake slightly.

This isn't intended as a criticism, but it's sometime a good idea on a narrowish road to take a strong primary position whenever there is a stream of vehicles coming in the opposite direction so that nobody behind you is tempted to do an unsafe overtake.

D

Deleted member 1258

This isn't intended as a criticism, but it's sometime a good idea on a narrowish road to take a strong primary position whenever there is a stream of vehicles coming in the opposite direction so that nobody behind you is tempted to do an unsafe overtake.

Thats something I've been doing for years.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Far too close to be considered safe driving. You were left with no room to avoid anything unseen by the driver, particularly with the speed differential.

One small twitch of his wheel to the left for a pothole or to give more room to the oncoming car and you'd have been toast.

Shame on West Mercia for not prosecuting.

Top Bottom