West Mercia Police take no action on close pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I need to get a helmet cam, where the car brushes your elbow on the way past it would be worth a report.

I think at speed the original pass was far too close, just eye up the car in relation to the centre lines of the road..

si_c

Guru
Its not an "attitude". Its an opinion. To me it doesnt look too close. I think all close passes should be prosecuted. But Im not going to say I think it looks close just to suit you.

You have to account for the wide-angle lens on action cameras, the rider is slightly over to the left, looking at the road surface, the front wheel is on the left edge of the smoother part of the tarmac. The left edge of the drivers front wheel is on the left edge of the centre line of the road, that leaves no more than six inches between the wing mirror and the cyclists elbow.

I'd love to know what world you live in as there are no circumstances where that can be considered anything other than unacceptably close.

D

Deleted member 26715

To prevent close passes I have affixed a broom handle to my bike, which points into the traffic flow by 5 feet. I then tied a rusty wire brush to the end.
I tried that but found drivers didn't like it when I smashed their rear lights when I started filtering

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd love to know what world you live in as there are no circumstances where that can be considered anything other than unacceptably close.
Maybe the real world?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I'd love to know what world you live in as there are no circumstances where that can be considered anything other than unacceptably close.[/QUOTE]

I ride a lot of mileage in the year. Maybe I am a bit thick skinned to what some would call a close pass.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
For anyone who feels the pass wasn't unsafe or worthy of police action, here's the amount of space police involved in #OperationClosePass are enforcing.
Compare that gap with what the OP experienced.

closepassmat.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

So you are all for stopping all cyclists filtering then?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
There is, if a car driver has to leave that much room, then how can a cyclist enter an area of less width?

1.) If the cyclist is filtering, then they are doing it at a low speed
2.) If the cyclist is filtering, then it it their choice as to how much danger they put themselves into.

D

Deleted member 26715

But you can't have it both ways, either the cars cannot be within 1.5M or they can, not ah well if it suits us we can go to within 50mm of a car

D

Deleted member 26715

Kinetic energy has nothing to do with it, you cannot have grey areas, you have to have black & white rules, if you are saying it's acceptable for a bike to enter a 0.5M gap by filtering, but then what happens if the traffic ahead moves, the car cannot then proceed until that gap is then 1.5M?

Top Bottom