West Mercia Police take no action on close pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Let's agree to differ, but it wasn't a nice pass, but it wasn't dangerous either (although there was no need to get that close), the Police had a word with the driver, hopefully if they are caught doing ti again something will happen.

But making it law that drivers MUST leave 1.5M will ruin my rides, I go down roads where it would be impossible to give that much space. Which means I would be pulling over to let cars through, I don't want to have to stop nor do I want them to have to bumble along at 8mph for miles following me.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I have had another one rejected* by west Mercia - they spoke to the driver about the manner of his driving but decided that prosecution

"Was not in the public interest"

I have no idea what that means ?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
FOI request submitted to west Mercia police asking how many drivers they have prosecuted for close passes

D

Deleted member 26715

Do you not also need to know how many have been reported to make the reply worthy?

Drago

Legendary Member
And you need to clarify the area, as operationally West Farcia and Warwickshire are one and the same. It's only the senior management and branding that differ.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Do you not also need to know how many have been reported to make the reply worthy?

I suspect the answer will be zero - so I have left it to them to quantify it as a % if they wish.

I have also asked for clarification of how they handle the submissions - as it would seem they contact the vehicle owner (to confirm who was driving) without providing them with a still image so the driver has no idea what they have done. But the time they have confirmed who the driver it would be too late to issue the prosecution notice. I am fully prepared to admit I have the bit wrong - but the letter I received via the police from driver suggests this is the MO

Different to west mids who issue a prosecution notice - along with a still image and a brief explanation - the owner then confirms who was driving - and the gets either a fine or has to book on a course.

classic33

Leg End Member
I suspect the answer will be zero - so I have left it to them to quantify it as a % if they wish.

I have also asked for clarification of how they handle the submissions - as it would seem they contact the vehicle owner (to confirm who was driving) without providing them with a still image so the driver has no idea what they have done. But the time they have confirmed who the driver it would be too late to issue the prosecution notice. I am fully prepared to admit I have the bit wrong - but the letter I received via the police from driver suggests this is the MO

Different to west mids who issue a prosecution notice - along with a still image and a brief explanation - the owner then confirms who was driving - and the gets either a fine or has to book on a course.

If enough people post close pass videos to them it'll make them harder to ignore.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
FOI request submitted to west Mercia police asking how many drivers they have prosecuted for close passes

So guess what ? - West Mercia didn't receive my FOI request asking how many motorists they had prosecuted for close passes. But now I have involved the local MP - and guess what they have received his letter !
Should get the FOI information soon

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The differential in kinetic energy is the whole point.

No, it's not the whole point.

Yes, of course the safe passing distance varies with the difference in speed between the passer and the passed.

But good luck trying to frame an enforceable law that incorporates that provision in the real world.

Top Bottom