Scotland : The Highlands Western Isles Audax Events 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
For the 300 in June, my rough plan at the moment is to hire a car and drive from Edinburgh, camping over on Fri and Sat night.
Either that or am willing to share petrol costs with anyone heading through from these parts.

Since it's such a long way to travel I would ideally like to extend it by a day (or two), either side of the event, just to take in as much of the area as possible.

Fubar

Guru
For the 300 in June, my rough plan at the moment is to hire a car and drive from Edinburgh, camping over on Fri and Sat night.
Either that or am willing to share petrol costs with anyone heading through from these parts.

Since it's such a long way to travel I would ideally like to extend it by a day (or two), either side of the event, just to take in as much of the area as possible.

I would def be out for June, we have our hols booked for then.

Yeah, transport to and from Ullapool with a bike is non-existent, as I found out to my dismay in one of my wettest days on a bike. The nearest train station is Garve.
If I'm going I'll probably stay in Stornoway Youth Hostel again. Unfortunately I don't have much leeway in terms of time on either side of the event.

I would def be out for June, we have our hols booked for then.
You're the one who brought this thread to our attention! How can you be out?! Why I oughta... :boxing:

Fubar

Guru
Yeah, transport to and from Ullapool with a bike is non-existent, as I found out to my dismay in one of my wettest days on a bike. The nearest train station is Garve.
If I'm going I'll probably stay in Stornoway Youth Hostel again. Unfortunately I don't have much leeway in terms of time on either side of the event.

You're the one who brought this thread to our attention! How can you be out?! Why I oughta... :boxing:

Fubar said: "wouldn't one of these be an adventure???"

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Didn't take much research to realize that the August date is on the same day as the Lochaber 100 sportive that I had also been considering. Don't think I can make it in June - and 300 km is probably beyond me (this year).

Decisions, decisions...:scratch:

edindave

Über Member

I had a quick look at trains - there's an Edinburgh train that connects into Garve about 3 hours before the ferry leaves Ullapool - fine on the way out. On the way back the timings look a bit more tricky and may require an overnighter, so car looks like the most convenient option.

Hmmmm... it's 73 miles from Ullapool to Shieldaig - I feel a cunning plan about to hatch... :crazy:

Didn't take much research to realize that the August date is on the same day as the Lochaber 100 sportive that I had also been considering. Don't think I can make it in June - and 300 km is probably beyond me (this year).

Get a couple of 100milers in before it, maybe a 200k, and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

glasgowjim

Über Member

Don't think of it in distance, think more of it in time and break it down to 50/60km chunks with rest stops in between, you'd be suprised how easy it becomes. When starting out on a 200/300k view it as long day on a bike with breakfast, lunch and dinner to be enjoyed on route and great scenery too.

doonhaemer

there is a bus that takes bikes in a trailer that operates from Inverness to Ullapool http://www.decoaches.co.uk/inverness-to-durness-bike-bus/
and I believe city link buses will also take bikes, but they might have to be in a bag or box.
inverness(or garve) - Ullapool - stornaway -tarbet on harris-uig on skye- kyle of Lochalsh makes a nice wee tour doable by train.
If taking a car some of the ferries are now reasonably priced bexcause of the road equivalent tarrif; but be sure to book well in advance.
If you haven't cycled in the outer isles or the North West Islands, it is well worth the effort of getting there. Flights to Inverness might be worth exploring.

there is a bus that takes bikes in a trailer that operates from Inverness to Ullapool http://www.decoaches.co.uk/inverness-to-durness-bike-bus/
I believe city link buses will also take bikes, but they might have to be in a bag or box.
The need to carry a bike box renders it of limited utility, when I was in Ullapool and the rain was bouncing a foot off the ground the driver was adamant that there was no way it was getting on the bus. Unless I can wangle a lift off another forumite I'll probably be riding from Garve the day before.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Don't think of it in distance, think more of it in time and break it down to 50/60km chunks with rest stops in between, you'd be suprised how easy it becomes. When starting out on a 200/300k view it as long day on a bike with breakfast, lunch and dinner to be enjoyed on route and great scenery too.
You are quite right that the challenge is as much mental as physical. Sadly, I feel my brain is as unprepared as my body for a 300^_^

Anyway, no more waffling! Time to start sorting out the logistics...
Untitled.png

Top Bottom