Wet weather tyres for hybrid/commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
ultragators in a 23 in the wet ...

your call but I ditched them after two weeks after at most two wet rides

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
32's are pretty wide...23's will give your bike a new life....but they are road tyres...

You don't have specific 'wet weather' tyres, how good they are depends upon compounds etc.

Better to ask what tyre has good puncture resistance and is good in the wet....

Michelin Pro Race 2 or 3 are great all weathers, but they are not cheap, and not really suited to commuting....

RedBike

Don't go getting knobbly tyres!

It's a common mis-conception that bike tyres need a tread pattern in the wet. Because of the width of a bike tyre on smooth tarmac the only thing a tread will do is decrease the amount of rubber in contact with the road and therefore decrease the amount of grip you've got. A bike will not hydroplane like a car until you're doing something daft like 150mph.

(When there's gravel/mud on the road then a tread pattern makes all the difference which is why MTBs use very aggressive treaded tyres)

Ultragators are good tyres but I certainly wouldn't recommend them in the wet.

My recommendation would be Continentals Grand Prix 4 Season in the larger 700x28 size. These tyres have been designed with wet weather (winter) use in mind. They are expensive but they're worth it!

btw, roughly speaking the narrower the tyre the quicker it will roll but the harsher the ride. There will be a huge difference between a narrrow 23mm tyre and your current 32mm tyres!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tharg2007 said:
i have continental ultra gators 700x23 and I plan to use them all through the winter, wet or dry.

YMMV, but I ride these in the 25C wire on, and they're the worst tyre in the wet I've experienced yet. Take it VERY easy on them.

Nick1979

Michelin Krylion are very good "all conditions" (read "wet") tyres, I usually use them for winter months but they are difficult to find at the moment.
Vittoria Diamante Pro (or Pro Tech with additional puncture protection) are said to be designed specifically for wet conditions, I haven't tried them but maybe they are worth a go.

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Nick1979 said:
Michelin Krylion are very good "all conditions" (read "wet") tyres, I usually use them for winter months but they are difficult to find at the moment.
Vittoria Diamante Pro (or Pro Tech with additional puncture protection) are said to be designed specifically for wet conditions, I haven't tried them but maybe they are worth a go.

Cheers mate. I may see how I go with the ones I've got. I guess I may as well learn the hard way!

Top Bottom