We've had a bit of snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I took this photo in France last year; THIS is a bit of snow!

IMG-20120119-00182_zps2dacc8e5.jpg

The Jogger

Legendary Member
The soft southerners have had an inch or so of snow!!!

Not only does it make national news headlines, but the BBC also cancel a scheduled programme in order to air a "special programme" on the days events.

It's bloody snow for Gawds sake! We get it every year up here but still carry on. Not so down south, schools closed, rail disruption, people not going to work, total chaos, gridlock!!! Oh my God we're all gonna die!

Funny isn't it? I couldn't believe the guy on the news outside Houses of Parliament talking about the chaos on the roads etc................... whilst standing in around an inch of snow!!! Get a bloody grip!
We get some right covering up here, I imagine further north they get it worse still, am I right Scottish members? Very rarely gets a mention on the national news, maybe reference to it on the weather forecast. Makes you wonder how this country got to be called "Great" Bit of snow south of Watford and everything grinds to a halt!!!

Rant over. :banghead:

Ok ok Vladivar......

ASC1951

Guru
The soft southerners have had an inch or so of snow!!!

Not only does it make national news headlines, but the BBC also cancel a scheduled programme in order to air a "special programme" on the days events.
It's not southerners you need to rant at, it's journalists. Why should they have to think about events, when on every topic they can get paid for churning out the same clichés they used last time?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Im reminded of the time when during a typical english 'arctic meltdown' (at least 3 inches everywhere) all of the sales team faught their ways into the office one monday morning. The sales manager ( a dutch lady called inge) wasnt their. Then her boss (the uber boss) came in to show us a fax she had sent to tell him she couldnt make it as her merc was unable to get out of her driveway. He knew I could draw things, so he asked me to draw him a shovel...perplexed I did so quickly..then he faxed it back to her.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We only have about 3 inches here and were astonished when a parcel we were expecting didn't turn up on Wednesday, despite 2 emails saying that it would. Same on Thursday and yesterday. Getting fed up, we called the company (again) and arranged that we would drive to Thetford and collect said parcel.
The A47 was perfectly clear and we could drive along it with no issues. The A11 was totally clear of snow and there were no issues. The road into the trading estate perfectly clear with no issues. It took us 40 minutes each way (the slow bit being the twisty road from Wramplingham to home on the way back). The drivers at the depot were insistent that the weather was too bad to deliver in.
We have been working all week, we should be working today but our customer insists that her farm track is a nightmare. We would get in but not out. Her track is very very steep and if she can't get out with a 4x4 we would probably not make it with a little rover 25 either.

The dogs are loving the weather and we are possibly going for a bike ride a bit later, if I can persuade hubby that its a good idea.

HovR

Über Member
Seriously though, how often does it snow there on average? Surely there's not some sort of snow clearing trucks?

I spotted a few gritting trucks with plows attached yesterday. It just doesn't snow enough to warrant a fleet big enough to keep roads completely clear - We maybe get snow for a week once a year, sometimes not even that.

The main roads tend to get cleared (although a lot of that is just the traffic pushing the snow out the way), but the side roads remain an icy mess! That said, in most places the snow is barely even deep enough to plow.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Why do the schools close when there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground:headshake::rolleyes:? When I lived in the midlands you just pulled on your wellies put your school shoes in a duffel bag and off you went. If the caretaker could get in the school was open no if's no buts.

I suspect that to some extent, it's that people travel further to work nowadays and rely on cars more - there may be teachers coming from outside a city or town, whereas all our teachers when I was a kid lived relatively locally. (as did all the kids, and we pretty much all walked to school all the time anyway)

I agree it's a bit feeble nowadays. We'd sometimes get sent home early if snow got worse during a day, but there were very few days when school never opened.

I wonder if all the traffic chaos is because our roads are stretched to breaking point with volume of traffic as it is, so the slightest difference tips everything over into chaos. One car stuck on an awkward corner, and town grinds to a halt...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I drove to Skipton and back last night and found all the roads well gritted, wet and puddly. I even took a detour off the A59 through some villages and couldn't find any decent snowy roads to play on. Bummer.

Noodley

Someone at work phoned in yesterday to say they were caught in "mini blizzard" conditions, so I asked them if they had moved to London to which they replied they had not. I therefore told them that their "mini blizzard" was a light dusting of snow and that to take care whilst driving but to stop being a big flouncey ponce.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Why do the schools close when there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground:headshake::rolleyes:? When I lived in the midlands you just pulled on your wellies put your school shoes in a duffel bag and off you went. If the caretaker could get in the school was open no if's no buts.
Risk shifting...

LA's and LEA's in particular are the most risk averse organisations known to man.
If a child is injured on their time that is " a bad thing" , if they are injured whilst being unsupervised playing on the street that is a thing which does not exist because they only measure things on their watch.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Risk shifting...

LA's and LEA's in particular are the most risk averse organisations known to man.
If a child is injured on their time that is " a bad thing" , if they are injured whilst being unsupervised playing on the street that is a thing which does not exist because they only measure things on their watch.
Not quite...it's to do with the ratio of teachers to children in the school. Not enough teachers then the head has to make the decision to close the school or run the risk of operating outside of Dept of Education guidelines. Also the head has a duty of care to his/her staff, so in adverse conditions the decision may be made to send staff home whilst they can still get home, which means the ratio of staff to students is affected again, etc.etc

Top Bottom