We've had a bit of snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Theres' a thing on telly right now about the winter of 1963- frozen seas and pack ice in ports and 20' snow drifts etc. Makes this current cold snap look tropical. Hereabouts -we have only had a light dusting- I went out to measure the depth yesterday and it didn't even reach the 0 inch line on my ruler! Pathetic!

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1963, I was about 11, my family lived on the Kent coast. It started snowing on Boxing Day and the snow lasted until early March, I was woken up most mornings by the sound of my Dad clearing our front path before he went to work. I remember going out with my sledge, there were hills behind the town, and on the little lane I used the snow was that deep the cars parked on the lane were buried up to roof height.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
You're deliberately misinterpreting me, as you usually do when someone disagrees with you. Think what you wish LYB, I won't argue with you or attempt a rational debate as it's a pointless exercise.:thumbsup:

Risk shifting....

Nothing to do with staff ratios , or how many staff can get there, simple risk shifting, if the pupils are going to get hurt in snow and ice , just make sure it's done somewhere else....

http://www.bridgend.gov.uk/schools/status.php

Caerau Primary
Closed​
due to large amounts of uncleared snow and ice in the school grounds creating a significnt health and safety issue.
Ogmore Vale Primary
Closed​
to ensure the safety of pupils due to large amounts of snow and ice in the school grounds.
Tynyrheol Primary
Closed​
Closed for pupils due to ice around school creating major health and safety issue
St Mary's & St Patrick's Primary
Closed​
to ensure the safety of pupils the school will be closed due to the amount of snow + ice in its grounds.

subaqua

What’s the point
Risk shifting....

Nothing to do with staff ratios , or how many staff can get there, simple risk shifting, if the pupils are going to get hurt in snow and ice , just make sure it's done somewhere else....

http://www.bridgend.gov.uk/schools/status.php

Caerau Primary
Closed​
due to large amounts of uncleared snow and ice in the school grounds creating a significnt health and safety issue.
Ogmore Vale Primary
Closed​
to ensure the safety of pupils due to large amounts of snow and ice in the school grounds.
Tynyrheol Primary
Closed​
Closed for pupils due to ice around school creating major health and safety issue
St Mary's & St Patrick's Primary
Closed​
to ensure the safety of pupils the school will be closed due to the amount of snow + ice in its grounds.
not risk shifting , teachers are paid to teach not clear snow and ice . if a child falls over on untreated school grounds the school has failed in their duty of care to that child. if a teacher fell over on untreated grounds the school have failed in their duty of care .

not risk shifting its applying control measures. hierarchy of control is Eliminate Substitute Isolate Reduce.

Many years ago if there was snow, teachers would report to local school. Caretakers don't live on site in a school house anymore. if they cant get there then ice don't get shifted

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1963, I was about 11, my family lived on the Kent coast. It started snowing on Boxing Day and the snow lasted until early March, I was woken up most mornings by the sound of my Dad clearing our front path before he went to work. I remember going out with my sledge, there were hills behind the town, and on the little lane I used the snow was that deep the cars parked on the lane were buried up to roof height.

Me too - 1963 was epic. IIRC the school never closed and I learned to slide down a very long steep hill whilst standing. No need for poncey skis :laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
Many years ago if there was snow, teachers would report to local school. Caretakers don't live on site in a school house anymore. if they cant get there then ice don't get shifted
Although in other forms of employment the onus is on the employee to get to work on time, not so in education where employees don't seem to feel they have this responsibility.

snorri

Legendary Member
Me too - 1963 was epic. IIRC the school never closed and I learned to slide down a very long steep hill whilst standing. No need for poncey skis :laugh:
That's right, and we had to be in early when there was snow to clear the school playground with our shovels before the bell rang at nine, and on our backs a rucksack full of coal (logs if you were poor) to keep the class room fire burning all day.
Young ones today? Hmmphh!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
63 was the first winter I have any clear memory of, so all winters since have been a bit of a let-down.

As for school closures "due to large amounts of uncleared snow and ice in the school grounds creating a significant health and safety issue" we would have seen that as a positive feature to attend, not an 'issue'. The village school I went to had a long sloping playground and we used to compact any snow to ice to make one very long glossy slide - the only place in the village where we could do this. Breaktimes, everyone hurtled outside to have a go at the longest distance.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
not risk shifting , teachers are paid to teach not clear snow and ice . if a child falls over on untreated school grounds the school has failed in their duty of care to that child. if a teacher fell over on untreated grounds the school have failed in their duty of care .

not risk shifting its applying control measures. hierarchy of control is Eliminate Substitute Isolate Reduce.

If the child/teacher falls over outside the school ( quite likely as the school hasn't it's own climate) , and is out of school because the school is closed then the LEA is not liable. The risk is the same, it's just been moved off the school premises. OMD Off My Desk....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Caretakers don't live on site in a school house anymore. if they cant get there then ice don't get shifted

Yes they do.
My brother is a school caretaker. He lives in his schools ground in Woking and also lived in his previous schools grounds in Raynes Park.

subaqua

What’s the point
Yes they do.
My brother is a school caretaker. He lives in his schools ground in Woking and also lived in his previous schools grounds in Raynes Park.
all the ones in Newham got sold off , and in Waltham Forest. so i shall quantify it Not all caretakers.
If the child/teacher falls over outside the school ( quite likely as the school hasn't it's own climate) , and is out of school because the school is closed then the LEA is not liable. The risk is the same, it's just been moved off the school premises. OMD Off My Desk....

true, liability doesn't extend outside school . its more duty of care to staff than the Kids, although the kid situation does factor in . newham leaves it to Headteachers to decide thats their guideline not policy
and so it seems the advice from the DfE .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21119186

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's the year that I moved to Coventry. I remember a couple of times that winter when the snowdrifts at the end of the road were about 8 feet deep!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, while parts of the country ground to a halt, I got a train from Manchester to York no problem. That's over the Pennines.... It was running late at Stalybridge due to earlier delays, but had pretty much made the time up by York.

I may swear about TPE when they run a two carriage train for 15 carriages-worth of passengers, but they do seem to be moderately competent at getting through.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
In 1963, I was nine and at a school that had a headmaster who had retired early after being a Royal Navy commander. He had a somewhat relaxed attitude towards what is now Health and Safety, and encouraged us to build a toboggan run down a very long and steep hill. Our toboggans were of all shapes and sizes, some frighteningly quick. An added blast of adrenaline was provided by the foot high tree stumps that littered the side of the run. Some of us got quite badly hurt as we lost control and veered off-course. We had an awful lot of fun though. I would imagine that the headmaster would be prosecuted today.

Top Bottom