What’s stopping women cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, some really good points well made and referenced. I know I will probably stand accused of missing the point entirely, when I comment that most of the reasons stated keep guys off the bike as well, but I get the point that it affects women more.

I think that's related to her closing paragraph
You’re welcome.
Finally, to all the cycling champions and policy-makers out there, I’d like to say on behalf of reticent lady-cyclists all across the UK, you’re welcome for our innate ability to be your sure-fire litmus test for how good your infrastructure truly is…
Gil Penalosa, who runs Toronto-based consultancy 8-80 Cities, describes women cyclists as the “indicator species” for how bike-friendly a city is. “If there aren’t at least as many women as men, then usually it’s because cycling is not safe enough. It’s an indicator that you do not have good enough cycling infrastructure.” [source]

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5155930, member: 10119"]I think that's related to her closing paragraph[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I did read that and tend to agree. Maybe when they replace Chris Boardman with Katie Archibald we will see real change.

Suzi76

I have been cycling for around 3 years now. I was a complete novice (never really cycled as a child) and would still consider myself to be a beginner. I have found everyone I’ve encountered, both in store and on the road, to be encouraging and helpful towards female cyclists. It was daunting getting out alone but not because of attitudes or behaviour towards me but rather due to my own lack of confidence (not helped by a number of falls clipping out!) I still need to have an “anxiety poop” before each ride but the important thing is that I’m still getting out there once a week weather permitting!! I would encourage more women to participate and I would like to thank all you chaps who offer support and encouragement.

Slick

Guru
I have been cycling for around 3 years now. I was a complete novice (never really cycled as a child) and would still consider myself to be a beginner. I have found everyone I’ve encountered, both in store and on the road, to be encouraging and helpful towards female cyclists. It was daunting getting out alone but not because of attitudes or behaviour towards me but rather due to my own lack of confidence (not helped by a number of falls clipping out!) I still need to have an “anxiety poop” before each ride but the important thing is that I’m still getting out there once a week weather permitting!! I would encourage more women to participate and I would like to thank all you chaps who offer support and encouragement.
I think most people do the "anxiety" thing. I always just assumed it was your body reacting to you preparing for an effort. I'm probably wrong, but it rarely happens on a commute, and that's when I've really got something to be anxious about.:eek:

Nice post though, I'm glad your experience has been positive.:thumbsup:

[QUOTE 5123968, member: 10119"]As to actual reasons why fewer women cycle than men - I reckon there's loads of contributory factors. It is quite important to distinguish between reasons that an individual of any gender does or doesn't choose to ride a bike for sport/leisure/utility etc and the the reasons that groups of people may experience barriers to participation.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE 5124009, member: 10119"]Remember - distinguish between the individuals and the groups.[/quote]

EMorgan

Hello everyone! Haven’t gone through the entire thread, but I can tell you that I do all the maintenance work myself. I’ve always been interested in how EVERYTHING works, so naturally, it all lead to me watching my dad fix things, tutorials, reading books and manuals. :nerd: It’s really a great thing when you do the work yourself. Fantastic feeling. :training:

Top Bottom