What’s the worst film you’ve seen recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For me it was American Warships with Mario Van Peebles (Captain and Carl Weathers.

View: https://youtu.be/Yr-Y8IeWymo

I didn’t think they made films this bad these days but this one is a turkey of truly gargantuan proportions. It’s not helped by Van Peebles who isn’t a great actor, in fact I’ve seen less wooden portrayals in Pinocchio. Carl Weathers is quite good but struggles with a terrible script. The plot revolves around a US fighter plane being attacked by North Korea, or so the military think but in fact aliens are responsible. The special effects are laughable and would disgrace a fifties sci fi movie.
Memorable quote; They’re not going to sink MY Battleship. Captain James Winston.
What’s the worst one for you?

AndyRM

XOXO
It's by The Asylum and rips off Battleship. I wouldn't even class it as a proper film.

Drago

Legendary Member
Interstellar. Stunning visuals, imaginative plot, ruined by the lead actor mumbling incoherently through the entire film. Utterly ridiculous.

MichaelO

Veteran
I remember seeing the film "2012" for only a few quid in Tesco's, shortly after it was released. Bought it & sat down with the missus to watch it. Turns out it was "2012: Doomsday"..."A Modern Christian Epic in the Tradition of The Omega Code and Left Behind"

I'll never get those 85mins back

presta

Guru
Dunno about recent, but The Blair Witch Project left me completely baffled, I was still sat waiting for it to start when the credits rolled at the end. I can't see what everyone was raving about.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Plan 9 from outer space

So bad it's a classic

Still not as bad as "Contact" though
Contact is one of my favourites... unlike Plan 9, i've watched it several times.

One film i just don't 'get' is Dune. I watched in the 80s and was underwhelmed. In the 90s, both friends and critics reckoned it was classic 80s sci-fi, so i gave it another watch and was underwhelmed. Then about 10 years ago, poeple still claim it's a modern classic sci-fi, so i gave it another go and guess what? I was completely underwhelmed. The acting is shoddy, the script is poor, the effects just don't work... and ideas such as 'your name is a weapon' are so lame they belong in a Children's Film Foundation offering. The big worm things were OK at first, but even they soon wore thin.... and the film is just far too long. I'm sure the book is a good read, but the film... it disappoints on so many levels.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
One film i just don't 'get' is Dune. I watched in the 80s and was underwhelmed. In the 90s, both friends and critics reckoned it was classic 80s sci-fi, so i gave it another watch and was underwhelmed. Then about 10 years ago, poeple still claim it's a modern classic sci-fi, so i gave it another go and guess what? I was completely underwhelmed. The acting is shoddy, the script is poor, the effects just don't work... and ideas such as 'your name is a weapon' are so lame they belong in a Children's Film Foundation offering. The big worm things were OK at first, but even they soon wore thin.... and the film is just far too long. I'm sure the book is a good read, but the film... it disappoints on so many levels.

A lot of the original film's quirkiness is down to it being David Lynch, who, let's face it, is totally cuckoo !!!

I hated the original Twin Peaks, but it was one of those things you just couldn't put down.

The new one is even worse !!! My wife (even though every episode just left her in a gobsmacked confused state) was so upset that it ended without any indication of the series continuing, would have gone round his house and slapped him, if she could have.

Drago

Legendary Member
The book Dune is brilliant. Political machinations, sex, violence, just like my own life.

The film was quite stylish, but the chopping and changing of the plot to make it fit into a feature film ruined it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A lot of the original film's quirkiness is down to it being David Lynch, who, let's face it, is totally cuckoo !!!

I hated the original Twin Peaks, but it was one of those things you just couldn't put down.

The new one is even worse !!! My wife (even though every episode just left her in a gobsmacked confused state) was so upset that it ended without any indication of the series continuing, would have gone round his house and slapped him, if she could have.
i generally like and am tolerant of David Lynch's work... but Dune... it's just pants.

Top Bottom